Curiosity Corner #251: Popping down to the PO...in Manama

Old November 8th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Curiosity Corner #251: Popping down to the PO...in Manama

We've all dug through piles and squillions of Arabian Gulf "Dune" stamps
(some of us have actually wall papered our bathrooms with them)
It's hard to imagine
it is a real dot on the map.

Well here's a first hand yarn on the place.

Courtesy of "Australian Stamp news" April 1978

http://cjoint.com/data/lioWloA0l3.htm

Old November 8th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
We've all dug through piles and squillions of Arabian Gulf "Dune" stamps
(some of us have actually wall papered our bathrooms with them)
It's hard to imagine
it is a real dot on the map.

Well here's a first hand yarn on the place.

Courtesy of "Australian Stamp news" April 1978

http://cjoint.com/data/lioWloA0l3.htm

Rod:

It is important to note that this article refers
to Mqnama the capital of Bahrain. They use
the stamps of Bahrain.
http://p.vtourist.com/1181025-Travel...in_Kingdom.jpg
http://www.hispanoarabe.org/mundo_ar...tos/manama.jpg

This is NOT the same as the U.A.E. village of Manama
(a dependency of Ajman) that issued the stamps.
http://stamps.usjajudo.org/PZ252afb.jpg
http://www.animalstamps.com/samoyed/smanama2.jpg
http://www1.cira.colostate.edu/ramm/...1214+_ms50.jpg

I have a genuine postal cover (stashed away) from the latter village.
http://cjoint.com/data/lipuLTWPnD.htm

d8*)

Blair

Old November 8th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 21:58:14 +0800, "Rod"
wrote:

How about this for a map?

http://www.adirondack-pc.com/images/uar-map.jpg

This'll keep ya busy for a few minutes.

Old November 8th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Thanks Blair for highlighting that,
I was indeed mistaken.
thanks for the map Tracy, just need to now
work out a rough scale for the map.
The commentary tends to suggest they are all within a
short drive from one another.

BTW that is the first time I have seen those Manama micro stamps
in sheet form, I always wondered how many / form of the set.

http://p.vtourist.com/1181025-Travel...l_Of_Bahrain_K

Old November 8th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
Thanks Blair for highlighting that,
I was indeed mistaken.
thanks for the map Tracy, just need to now
work out a rough scale for the map.
The commentary tends to suggest they are all within a
short drive from one another.

BTW that is the first time I have seen those Manama micro stamps
in sheet form, I always wondered how many / form of the set.

Rodney / Tracy:

Here is a scale map:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia06...es_sm_2006.gif

Here is another (1984):
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middl...abemirates.jpg

My estimate is that Manama is about 40 miles (64 km) east of Ajman.

A final map from 1995.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middl...ates_rel95.jpg

Blair

PS Tracy, you should rename your map to UAE-map from UARmap.

Old November 9th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 8 Nov 2006 15:59:04 -0800, "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

Rod wrote:
Thanks Blair for highlighting that,
I was indeed mistaken.
thanks for the map Tracy, just need to now
work out a rough scale for the map.
The commentary tends to suggest they are all within a
short drive from one another.

BTW that is the first time I have seen those Manama micro stamps
in sheet form, I always wondered how many / form of the set.

Rodney / Tracy:

Here is a scale map:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia06...es_sm_2006.gif

Here is another (1984):
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middl...abemirates.jpg

My estimate is that Manama is about 40 miles (64 km) east of Ajman.

A final map from 1995.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middl...ates_rel95.jpg

Blair

PS Tracy, you should rename your map to UAE-map from UARmap.

Yes, but I think it was in German, so whatever it was way back when
may have been different.

It is kind of funny how each of these emirates usually have smaller
pieces on the other side of peninsula. They're all split up, instead
of in one piece.
Old November 9th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

So the peninsular is not that far across in that area,
say 50Km.
I picked up some show tickets last week across town and
managed 45 Km in a round trip just prior to lunch.

Old November 9th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Rod wrote:
So the peninsular is not that far across in that area,
say 50Km.
I picked up some show tickets last week across town and
managed 45 Km in a round trip just prior to lunch.

Rodney / Tracy:
Here is a scale map:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia06...es_sm_2006.gif

I'd say it is more like 75 miles (120 km) across at the point
where Ajamn and Manama are located. Ajman-Manama is
40 miles (65 km) in itself.

Of course, driving through sand dunes is a bit slower than
down a tarmac highway.

Blair