TSC: New Grading Challenge - Half Cent - Guest voting is pronounced working and out of beta.

Old September 15th 03, 07:44 PM
Randy Thompson

Bruce Hickmott wrote in message . ..

Well, from the photo, I can't see any evidence that the eye was retooled. I kind
doubt it, the normal target for retooling is the hair.

I gave it a EF40. Just not quite enough detail for EF45 IMO, but it's a no
problem coin and would probably bring a slight premium over EF40 price.

I like it.

Bruce

Thanks for your comments Bruce. I think our posts crossed in the
"mail". That seems to happen a lot with Google (or they get lost
entirely like my first attempt to reply to this).

Is that EF40 your EAC grade or are you refering to the grading scale
us mortals use?

Either way, I got a good deal on the coin.
Old September 16th 03, 04:16 PM
Lyntoy1

I went with an AU53 on this half cent, and I'll tell you why. The obverse is a
clear AU (in my very amatuer opinion) with the reverse being apparently EF. But
because of the die failure causing the obverse to bulge, the reverse would not
have struck up sharply even in Mint State. Some of the leaves showed the center
well, which seems like an inconsistency of wear. If I recall correctly, this
"mushy" appearance occurs on other coins more dramatically (1811 4 star break?)
and that was my logic.
In any case, the market has spoken! The opinions in this group are more
important than those at PCGS to me. Stujoe- you have provided the best learning
site on the net. Thanks!
Old September 16th 03, 11:06 PM
Stujoe

In article , lyntoy1
@aol.com says...
I went with an AU53 on this half cent, and I'll tell you why. The obverse is a
clear AU (in my very amatuer opinion) with the reverse being apparently EF. But
because of the die failure causing the obverse to bulge, the reverse would not
have struck up sharply even in Mint State. Some of the leaves showed the center
well, which seems like an inconsistency of wear. If I recall correctly, this
"mushy" appearance occurs on other coins more dramatically (1811 4 star break?)
and that was my logic.
In any case, the market has spoken! The opinions in this group are more
important than those at PCGS to me. Stujoe- you have provided the best learning
site on the net. Thanks!

Thank you guys. Don't think for a minute that I don't learn along with
eveyone else. :-)

--
Stu Miller
Visit the Virtual Coin Museum (over 100 displays):