PCGS price guide vs NN price guide

Old July 7th 03, 01:51 AM
Bill Krummel

Default PCGS price guide vs NN price guide

In the last week or so, I have noticed that the PCGS Coin Price Guide has
been showing a lot of listings with lower values than my Numismatic News
Coin Market (monthly pull out from the magazine). It use to be that this
was seldom, if ever, the case, but lately every item I have checked, PCGS
has shown lower prices.

I use to use PCGS as a guide only when the coin's grade was not listed in my
retail guides or in greysheet. I use to have no respect for the PCGS price.
I use to think the PCGS prices were inflated, sometimes tremendously
inflated.

Does anyone else think the PCGS prices are closer to the mainstream guides
than they use to be? Bill

Old July 7th 03, 03:06 AM
David Ryan

Bill Krummel wrote:

In the last week or so, I have noticed that the PCGS Coin Price Guide has
been showing a lot of listings with lower values than my Numismatic News
Coin Market (monthly pull out from the magazine). It use to be that this
was seldom, if ever, the case, but lately every item I have checked, PCGS
has shown lower prices.

I use to use PCGS as a guide only when the coin's grade was not listed in my
retail guides or in greysheet. I use to have no respect for the PCGS price.
I use to think the PCGS prices were inflated, sometimes tremendously
inflated.

Does anyone else think the PCGS prices are closer to the mainstream guides
than they use to be? Bill

IYO did PCGS go down or the others go up?
Old July 7th 03, 03:30 AM
Bill Krummel

"David Ryan" wrote in message
Bill Krummel wrote:

[...]

IMO, PCGS came down, but that is opinion based on not much. I look at
greysheet every week and NN once a month and don't notice any across the
board dramatic increases, other than a select item here and there. I have
been planning on graphing the last two years of greysheet in classic
commemorative halfs, which I think have modestly increased, for the most
part. That is opinion as well. Bill

Old July 7th 03, 04:32 AM
Stujoe

In article , David Ryan spoke thusly...
Bill Krummel wrote:

In the last week or so, I have noticed that the PCGS Coin Price Guide has
been showing a lot of listings with lower values than my Numismatic News
Coin Market (monthly pull out from the magazine). It use to be that this
was seldom, if ever, the case, but lately every item I have checked, PCGS
has shown lower prices.

I use to use PCGS as a guide only when the coin's grade was not listed in my
retail guides or in greysheet. I use to have no respect for the PCGS price.
I use to think the PCGS prices were inflated, sometimes tremendously
inflated.

Does anyone else think the PCGS prices are closer to the mainstream guides
than they use to be? Bill

IYO did PCGS go down or the others go up?

Or Did PCGS stop updating their price list?

--
Stu Miller, My 1999 Redbook is probably coming in line with the
market pretty well these days...
Old July 7th 03, 11:47 AM
Ira Stein

Stu Miller asks:

Or Did PCGS stop updating their price list?

I believe your evaluation is correct, Stu. They've been so swamped with
submissions in the last few months that I don't think they have the staff to do
updates. Gradings are way behind, crossovers are behind, Presidential reviews
are hopelessly behind.

I often pay CU prices or above dealer to dealer at shows! It should be
remembered that CU prices are for PCGS certified coins, but many conveniently
forget that (like AH) when they compare their price to Coin Universe pricing.
That's why Coin Univ. prices were typically higher than Trends. They're behind
in revisions now. PCGS coins, sight seen, typically bring well over raw or
coins slabbed from other services. Of course, we as dealers have to pay more
for them as well.

Ira Stein
Old July 7th 03, 08:39 PM
The Fausts

"Chrysta Wilson" wrote...
How accurate would you say Trends is these days? I never really paid much
attention before, but since I am a brand-new CW subscriber, I've
started using online Trends. The prices seem high to me, but I am not
exactly a market-maker when it comes to buying and selling, either.
--
~~~Chrysta~~~

ANA#R-206318

My Collection: http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/index.html

The Truth About Eric Tillery:
http://www.geocities.com/chrystawilson/aboutk6az.html

Good move subscribing to CW, it's worth it.

Their pricing accuracy varies by series. Sometimes they go a long time
without updating a series and the numbers become outdated, only to adjust
upwards radically in sudden fashion. Their numbers are more often high than
low, but I think it tends to be more realistic overall than CU.

Eric

Old July 8th 03, 05:19 AM
Chrysta Wilson

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks, Eric! I just got my first issue today, about fifteen minutes
after I posted this. I am enjoying it so far. Bad, bad state quarter
designs in this week's issue, that's for sure!

Old July 8th 03, 06:08 AM
SF

"Eric Tillery" ...
I don't know about other series Ira, but the gap between PCGS and NGC has

all but
evaporated when it comes to Morgans. And with the current abysmal state of

the customer
service at PCGS (75+ day turnaround) a lot of people including myself have

switched our
submissions over to NGC, so PCGS coins are starting to become scarce. I

really prefer the
PCGS holder over NGC's, but when it comes to getting the coins into

holders to sell, I have
no choice since I buy all my coins raw for the most part.

I have been thinking for about the last year or so, that PCGS is just a
little bit too strict.. like
PCI USED to be..
just a little tho.. I also prefer NGC, and hope to re-submit some of my OLD
PCI coins to NGC..
The ones I thought were undergraded, of course...
;o)

Honestly, I tend to be pretty stiff on my grading.. at least thats what
people that have won my
ebay auctions have told me... only once was I given a different opinion, and
it was a pretty worn
early Large Cent..
(

Sam