Is it obligatory for stamps to be cancelled?

Old February 16th 05, 11:53 PM
Pierre COURTIADE

Roger Smith a écrit :
Pierre

I have never understood why most self-adhesive stamps come with
"perforations" (other than because of some innate conservatism within
the business). Surely they do not make the stamp more easily
separable from its surround, if that has not already been removed
during the production process.

Self-adhesive freezer and address labels do not come with
perforations.
Regards, Roger

Thanks Roger for your reply : I totally agree with you.
I was just intrigued by this "novelty".

Pierre

Old February 17th 05, 07:53 AM

Hi Mette,

I normally save such stamps as skips and return them to sender for
his
eventual re-use

I believe that in the United States re-using "postally used" but
un-cancelled stamps is illegal. It is probably the same all over the
world. However, with the volume of mail I wonder who has the time to
sift through everything to find these.

It also may not be cancelled since mail posted as bulk mail (which a
periodical would be) would not be cancelled. No cancel is better than
having a stamp cancelled with a felt tip pen. I just got a package with
a nice block of stamps that was totally ruined by a three line magic
marker cancel.

Jerry B

Old February 17th 05, 10:36 AM
Jan-Martin Hertzsch

Roger Smith wrote:

I have never understood why most self-adhesive stamps come with
"perforations" (other than because of some innate conservatism within the
business). Surely they do not make the stamp more easily separable from its
surround, if that has not already been removed during the production
process.

The way I heard it, this is some safeguard against counterfeiting.
After all, a stamp represents some amount of money. For instance,
France changed from straight edges to wavy edges for the self-
adhesive "Marianne" stamps fairly soon in order to make it more
difficult for forgers to copy them.

Jan-Martin

Old February 17th 05, 11:14 AM
Rodney

Hello Roger,

between your opinion and Blair's experience,
is like being caught between a rock and a hard place.

I too, have suffered under the flashing black felt marking pen,

I think I'll take the uncancelled skips at this juncture.

Old February 17th 05, 12:27 PM
Douglas Myall

"Jan-Martin Hertzsch" wrote in
message ...
Roger Smith wrote:

I have never understood why most self-adhesive stamps come with
"perforations" (other than because of some innate conservatism

within the
business). Surely they do not make the stamp more easily

separable from its
surround, if that has not already been removed during the

production
process.

The way I heard it, this is some safeguard against counterfeiting.
After all, a stamp represents some amount of money. For instance,
France changed from straight edges to wavy edges for the self-
adhesive "Marianne" stamps fairly soon in order to make it more
difficult for forgers to copy them.

Jan-Martin

Yes, this is an important part of the reason and is also why GB
self-adhesives have die-cut simulated perforations with half ellipses.
(Strictly, it is incorrect to describe these die cuts as perforations;
there are no holes.) Another reason is aesthetic so that they look
like stamps and not labels.

Douglas

Old February 17th 05, 01:48 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

In article ,
Pierre COURTIADE wrote:
amesh (Mette) wrote :
As late as yesterday I received a cover from California,
containing a periodical I subscribe to, neatly franked with recent
US-stamps, but no cancel.

He he he !!!!

Let's use my crystall ball.

Wasn'it from Santa Monica ???
:-)

Mine was duly cancelled with a strange "infinite" huge grid.

You may see it here :
http://cjoint.com/?cqw2vJ3omm

This is just a standard machine roller cancel that the often use on
"flats". Looks like the cover went through the machine at a bit of
an angle. You will see these from all over the US. It's had to get
a nice cancel on a US cover these days.

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old February 17th 05, 02:38 PM
Pierre COURTIADE

Eric Kenneth Bustad wrote :

This is just a standard machine roller cancel that the often use on
"flats". Looks like the cover went through the machine at a bit of
an angle. You will see these from all over the US. It's had to get
a nice cancel on a US cover these days.

Thanks Eric for this explanation.
(I receive only a few covers from the US thus my ignorance of these
machine roller cancels)

--
Kind regards from Paris to Norway :-)
Pierre Courtiade

Old February 17th 05, 03:57 PM
Doug Spade

"Pierre COURTIADE" wrote in message
Eric Kenneth Bustad wrote :

This is just a standard machine roller cancel that the often use on
"flats". Looks like the cover went through the machine at a bit of
an angle. You will see these from all over the US. It's had to get
a nice cancel on a US cover these days.

Thanks Eric for this explanation.
(I receive only a few covers from the US thus my ignorance of these
machine roller cancels)

--
Kind regards from Paris to Norway :-)
Pierre Courtiade
courtiade at free dot fr

They're a lot nicer than those awful cancels that promote some motion
picture---frequently not even out in the theaters.
Just makes a mess of the cover, though I suppose an argument can be made
that it will be viewed as part of the late 20th century and early 21st
century "culture" in another 50 years or so.

Mike

Old February 19th 05, 06:46 AM
Victor Manta

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Mette,

I normally save such stamps as skips and return them to sender for

his eventual re-use

I believe that in the United States re-using "postally used" but
un-cancelled stamps is illegal.
snip
Jerry B

Your quotation wasn't complete. Here is the complete one:

"I normally save such stamps as skips and return them to sender for his
eventual re-use ;-) "

Of course this was a joke. A lawyer knows better than us, the simple
mortals, what is legal and what is not.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/