Which is the best long term investment?

Old November 11th 05, 12:58 AM
Ira Stein

Default Which is the best long term investment?

I am a dealer, but I don't view coins as an investment, just
collectibles with a store of value. That said, you are essentially
buying bullion silver which may or may not increase in value at the
pace of inflation. Why not consider a key date coin in a popular
series, such as a PCGS or NGC certified 1914-D Lincoln Cent for just a
bit more $$$? There are others in a similar category, of course.

The key dates have apperciated in value far more than all coins in
general. But, they could decrease in value as well as increase,
depending on factors beyond our control or influence.

Ira

Old November 11th 05, 01:02 AM
Wes Chormicle

I agree with Ira. I too am a dealer. I would put the money into a key,
semi key coin. 1909 S Lincoln, Carson City Morgan Dollar, any key date
coin.

Old November 11th 05, 03:44 AM
Brian Kelly

I realize this is a collecting newsgroup, but I would like opinions from
some of the coin collecting veterans here on which of these transactions
would hold the best long term profit potential (say 20 years):

Buying twenty one 2005 brilliant uncirculated Silver Eagles for $200.....or

Buying a complete set of twenty one Silver Eagles (1986-2006) for $358

Thanks in advance!

Old November 11th 05, 04:15 AM
A You

I realize this is a collecting newsgroup, but I would like opinions from
some of the coin collecting veterans here on which of these transactions
would hold the best long term profit potential (say 20 years):
Buying twenty one 2005 brilliant uncirculated Silver Eagles for
$200.....or
Buying a complete set of twenty one Silver Eagles (1986-2006) for $358
Thanks in advance!

Buy a dozen Silver Eagle proofs...Then if the mint is not sold out by
Thanksgiving just sell them at cost and try again next year...

Well, the year of the power blackout the mint sold out before
Thanksgiving...

Old November 11th 05, 04:36 AM
bri

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
I realize this is a collecting newsgroup, but I would like opinions from
some of the coin collecting veterans here on which of these transactions
would hold the best long term profit potential (say 20 years):

Buying twenty one 2005 brilliant uncirculated Silver Eagles for

$200.....or

Buying a complete set of twenty one Silver Eagles (1986-2006) for $358

Thanks in advance!

Silver Eagles--why anyone can get a set of those at any time. They look
great in a complete set but you'll never make out with those--just too easy
to get all MS69's.
I vote for any key date coin that has some eye appeal. Or maybe something
before 1800. If it's an ugly cheap coin now it will still be an ugly cheap
coin 20-1000 years from now so there is that to think about.

Old November 11th 05, 06:48 AM
Edward McGrath

Ira, no disrespect but I don't understand your logic, you say you don't
view coins as an investment but don't you buy key date coins at coin
shows and resell them for a profit?. Correct me if I'm wrong but when a
person buys something with the expectation of making a profit isn't that
considered investing. Ed

Old November 11th 05, 07:49 AM
oly

I keep hearing about new technological uses for silver, especially
nanotechnolgies that will use silver as a germicide.

As a long time collector, it is hard to see silver as being anything
less than a very common commodity, yet maybe it is a case of not being
able to see the forest for the trees.

Also, silver is very close to its historic lows if you adjust for
constant (purchasing power) dollars. It is valued at very little more
than it was at the depths of the Great Depression (say 35 cents per
ounce in 1935, times 20 to adjust for the constant depreciation of the
dollar, which equals Seven Dollars in 2005).

There is always an investment school that says "Buy whatever is
cheapest, every dog has its day" - and yes, silver is the cheapest
thing in the precious metals arena. Dirt cheap.

Accordingly, I am increasing my personal physical silver holdings.
Having said that, American Silver Eagles is not the cheap way to go.
Also, if you buy the $358 set, you still don't have a complete set.
Only another $5,000 to go to get the final coin.

oly

Old November 11th 05, 11:21 AM
Ira Stein

When someone runs a hardware store and buys inventory fom his
supplier...is that investing? I don't think so. I'm merely buying
inventory with the hope of reselling in the short term, very short term
I should add, at a margin of profit. Anybody who has a business does
just that. That's MY logic, Ed.

Old November 11th 05, 11:41 AM
oly

Most businessmen set a Return on Equity that they want to achieve -
whether they run a hardware store, a bank, etc. I find that most want
to achieve a 15% or more Return on Equity or they will shut a store
down, or a bank branch down, etc. and go search for better returns on
their time and money.

However, a 15% Return on Equity would be small potatoes for a coin
dealer. The guy selling supplies at a coin show would be happy with 15
to 20%, but that's NOT how coin dealing works.

I wouldn't call you a hobbyist or an investor, Ira - you're a
speculator hoping for rather large profits. You're just trying to
project a casual image to your potential "cultomers".

as always, yours-

oly

Old November 11th 05, 11:50 AM
oly

P.S. I looked closely at your post again Mr. Stein - please don't be
trying to tell us that you simply add a mark-up to your buying price.
That's the same thing as saying if you buy a $175 Red book OR Grey
sheet coin for $85 (let's just say you made a good buy or did some
cherrypicking) that you add 20% and pass it on. No way. The price
will be much closer to Red book or greysheet.

Yes, I do realize that there is a difference between Red book and
greysheet. I am simply talking about whichever yardstick one chooses.

The number one thing that any new collector (that is reading this
forum) can do is to take one or two of your better purchases to a
decent sized coin show and try to resell them. If you like your coins,
you don't really got to sell them, just shop them around. You may be
stunned, you WILL get an education.

oly