Waterman Phileas at Swisher's

Old September 4th 04, 09:48 PM
svejk

Default Waterman Phileas at Swisher's

The Waterman Phileas is probably the most recommended pen for
beginners. I do not own one but many people who know a lot more than
I do about FPs have given them their approval. Swishers has new, old
stock Phileas fountain pens for $22.95, compared to $33.88 for current
stock (convertor included with both). That $10 difference may be
enough to get someone to make the switch. Or to have people put one
away to press on those poor, unsuspecting souls who foolishly say that
they might be interested in getting their fingers wet in using FPs.

I have no connection with:

http://www.swisherpens.com/
Old September 4th 04, 11:34 PM
Bluesea

"svejk" wrote in message
m...
The Waterman Phileas is probably the most recommended pen for
beginners. I do not own one but many people who know a lot more than
I do about FPs have given them their approval. Swishers has new, old
stock Phileas fountain pens for $22.95, compared to $33.88 for current
stock (convertor included with both). That $10 difference may be...

....reason enough for you to buy one?

--
~~Bluesea~~who uses 3 and has a 4th stashed away as a future gift

Old September 5th 04, 12:35 AM
KCat

"svejk" wrote in message
m...
The Waterman Phileas is probably the most recommended pen for
beginners. I do not own one but many people who know a lot more than
I do about FPs have given them their approval.

(snippage)
I have no connection with:

http://www.swisherpens.com/

great pens - I have two - one was a gift from a friend that she purchased
from Swisher. I like the NOS colors better myself so I was very happy to
get a blue to sit beside the green one I've had since '97.

Old September 5th 04, 06:41 AM
DaveW

svejk wrote:
The Waterman Phileas is probably the most recommended pen for
beginners. I do not own one but many people who know a lot more than
I do about FPs have given them their approval. Swishers has new, old
stock Phileas fountain pens for $22.95, compared to $33.88 for current
stock (convertor included with both). That $10 difference may be
enough to get someone to make the switch. Or to have people put one
away to press on those poor, unsuspecting souls who foolishly say that
they might be interested in getting their fingers wet in using FPs.

I have no connection with:

http://www.swisherpens.com/

Indeed. I bought one from Swisher and it is the third best writing pen I
own. The first best is a Sheaffer Triumph Imperial that I got for $12 a
couple months ago. Second best (though certainly nicest looking) is a
Parker Sonnet with an 18K nib. The look of a black pen with an open gold
nib just says classic. It depends on what you are using it for.

My Waterman Expert that dropped nib down on the concrete floor at Costco
still does damned well. Considering that I straightened the nib out
myself, and I have NO experience with such things. This pen is just too
heavy to use for prolonged writing.

As someone who grew up using Sheaffer's $1.98 drugstore fountain pens
and 19 cent crystal barreled Bics, it is nice to have four very reliable
fountain pens that also look good.

My reunion with fountain pens has made me miss all the stationers that
Staples and Office Depot forece out of business. You just can't find
much ink localy (Los Angeles) these days, unless you want black.

Regards,

DAve
Old September 5th 04, 07:24 AM
Bluesea

"DaveW" wrote in message

My reunion with fountain pens has made me miss all the stationers that
Staples and Office Depot forece out of business. You just can't find
much ink localy (Los Angeles) these days, unless you want black.

There used to be an office supply/bookstore here in OK that had a case full
of nice pens. After living in another state for 2-1/2 years, I went to see
what I might buy from them only to find that they moved and now deal only
with teaching supplies.

I'm surprised that there isn't a decent pen store in the LA area from where
you can buy a variety of inks.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 6th 04, 02:04 PM
John B. Egger

DaveW wrote:

My reunion with fountain pens has made me miss all the stationers that
Staples and Office Depot forece out of business. You just can't find
much ink localy (Los Angeles) these days, unless you want black.

Regards,

DAve

The nearby Office Depot just told me they no longer carry bottled
writing ink. (I'd asked for Parker Quink, black.) This is PITIFUL.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Old September 6th 04, 05:42 PM
Joshua C Sasmor

In some article, John B. Egger wrote:

The nearby Office Depot just told me they no longer carry bottled
writing ink. (I'd asked for Parker Quink, black.) This is PITIFUL.
--John

The local Office store by my house carries exactly one bottled ink:
Mont Blanc black Fortunately the bookstore at Pitt carries Sheaffer
and Quink, and Cross and ... Aren't universities grand? Now if I can
only get down there more often, now that I really work for a living...

Joshua Sasmor

Joshua C. Sasmor - Pipe-smoker, teacher and mathematician
Home page: http://www.math.pitt.edu/~jcsst18/
Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth but supreme beauty.
- BERTRAND RUSSELL
Old September 6th 04, 06:47 PM
DaveW

John B. Egger wrote:

DaveW wrote:

My reunion with fountain pens has made me miss all the stationers that
Staples and Office Depot forece out of business. You just can't find
much ink localy (Los Angeles) these days, unless you want black.

Regards,

DAve

The nearby Office Depot just told me they no longer carry bottled
writing ink. (I'd asked for Parker Quink, black.) This is PITIFUL.

Agreed. Staples will have Parker in black, that's it. Cartridges in
black or sometimes dark blue, sometimes both, depends on the brand.
Montblonc seems to be in favor and is sometimes offered in more colors,
but I "don't play that". Somewhere around here I have an old MB thin
fountain pen. I should sell it. The whole yuppie status symbol thing is
a major turnoff. It was a pretty decent pen though. Circa 1980.

Regards,

DAve
Old September 6th 04, 09:02 PM
Bluesea

"John B. Egger" wrote in message

The nearby Office Depot just told me they no longer carry bottled
writing ink. (I'd asked for Parker Quink, black.) This is PITIFUL.

Huh. That *is* bad. The OD here has/had? Quink and MB black. I wonder if
they'll quit, too.

Staples has only Quink black and those are the only stores locally in which
I've seen bottled ink.

--
~~Bluesea~~