Repair Parker Vacumatic filler.

Old September 3rd 04, 06:25 PM
Juan B

Default Repair Parker Vacumatic filler.

What must I do for change a ink filler of a Parker Vacumatic major with
plastic stick? (no metallic)
Is it easy?
Tanks.
Juan.

Old September 5th 04, 04:35 PM
MJT

Juan, everything is easy once you know how to do it.

I repair vac fillers without fancy tools with no problems at all. Suggest
you get 'Da Book' written by Frank Dubeil. Some of the on-line pen sellers
carry it. It is a comprehensive repair manual. Trying to repair your pen
without knowing how to do it will likely result in a ruined pen.

The hardest part is taking the filler unit out of the pen body. Many folks
use a $40 tool, which is ideal, but I use a block of wood drilled just under
the diameter of the thread and then cut in two. The two halves of the hole
are then clamped on the thread and you use it to unscrew the filler
(caution - not recommended for Vac's with a plastic threaded unit). May need
to hold the filler in hot water first to loosen it up.

Good luck.

Michel

Old September 5th 04, 11:00 PM
Dave

MJT wrote:

The hardest part is taking the filler unit out of the pen body. Many folks
use a $40 tool, which is ideal, but I use a block of wood drilled just under
the diameter of the thread and then cut in two. The two halves of the hole
are then clamped on the thread and you use it to unscrew the filler
(caution - not recommended for Vac's with a plastic threaded unit). May need
to hold the filler in hot water first to loosen it up.

This assumes that everybody has blocks of wood, a drill, calipers, and
suitable clamps already in the house. If they don't already have those
things, the $40 tool might make more sense.

David
Old September 6th 04, 12:18 AM
MJT

David, I agree the vac tools are the ideal way to go, I was just identifying
an option to Juan if he didn't want to spend the cash and had some basic
woodworking tools available.

Michel.

Old September 6th 04, 01:18 AM
Dave

MJT wrote:

David, I agree the vac tools are the ideal way to go, I was just identifying
an option to Juan if he didn't want to spend the cash and had some basic
woodworking tools available.

You're absolutely right to do so. I only meant to point out that if you
don't already have a drill, calipers, etc., they're not cheap either.

David
Old September 6th 04, 02:23 AM
Garglemonster

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:18:31 GMT, Dave said:

Dave MJT wrote:
David, I agree the vac tools are the ideal way to go, I was
just identifying an option to Juan if he didn't want to spend
the cash and had some basic woodworking tools available.

Dave You're absolutely right to do so. I only meant to point out
Dave that if you don't already have a drill, calipers, etc.,
Dave they're not cheap either.

expensive or not, i can imagine all sorts of projects where i'd use
basic woodworking tools, but only one where i'd use a vac tool. this
is what keeps me from getting one.

of course, borrowing is always an option. anyone with a vac tool in
montreal?

--

....and there at Pandora's Box, we are confronted with... a vast
quantity of...
Old September 10th 04, 11:05 AM
Juan

"Juan B" wrote in message ...
What must I do for change a ink filler of a Parker Vacumatic major with
plastic stick? (no metallic)
Is it easy?
Tanks.
Juan.

Where are you in Spain, Juan?. If you are near Madrid or Seville I can
give you a couple of addresses where you can have that filler changed
or repaired. It's not an easy task, and if you are not going to repair
a lot of vacs, don't buy the tools.

Another Juan
Old September 10th 04, 04:19 PM
Juan B

Hello Juan:
I'm in Barcelona, I usually repair the pens in "La Casa de la Estilográfica"
but I'm not very happy with the last repair.
Juan.

"Juan" escribió en el mensaje
om...