O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

Old August 23rd 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

On Aug 22, 6:57*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On 8/22/2010 4:11 PM, oly wrote:

Mr. Harrison could
possibly have excellent academic credentials

This also is hilarious. Yes indeedy, he probably does have excellent
academic credentials. Isn't it obvious by how much knowledge he displays
on the show? But the word "excellent" here is highly subjective. I
suspect, from your posts, you'd consider this as having graduated from
high school. Or was graduated from, if you're a Miss Thistlebottom type,
though this passive construction is no longer considered the only
correct one now makes you look fuddyduddyish.

With your trying to hard to poke fun at me by misspelling both of my
names over and over, I know you're no Miss Thistlebottom and suspect
without a Google search you even know what this means. You're much more
of a Mr. Harrison, actually very much like him, come to think of it.
Just the type, in a general kind of way, from what I've seen of his TV
persona anyway.

But feel free to share your SAT scores, GPAs, degrees, academic honors,
and anything else you feel is of academic relevance, since you're asking
so vociferously about my academic background and suggesting I didn't
graduate from college. I did, with a bachelor and then a master degree.
But I don't regard what a person did in preparation for a career as
being the best indicator of that person's current proficiency or
expertise. Relevant background, yes, useful, mostly, necessary, not
necessarily, depending.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom

FWIW, I have the pedestrian old, run-of-the-mill Bachelors Degree (BS
in Business Administration) from the College of Commerce and Business
Administration, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. Entered
August 1977, Graduated May 1981 (the standard eight semesters). Made
the Dean's List twice, First Semester and Last Semester. University
of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana usually ranked in the top fifty
American schools. My ACTs and SATs were excellent, for whatever tests
taken 33 years ago are worth today. I took business classes, history,
classics, literature classes, foreign languages and did well in all;
my advanced math classes were mostly ****y. I had a very strong minor
in beer drinking. This U of I degree has been leveraged into a 30
year career in government, mostly commercial bank examination.

oly
Old August 24th 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
El Kabong

"oly" wrote in message
Anybody watch "Pawn Stars"??? Rick Harrison, the Old Man, son Corey
and flunkey Chumley at their Pawn Shop in Las Vegas??? (Well,
actually, it doesn't belong to Chumley).

It's really one of the few TV shows (besides Wheel of Fortune) that my
wife and I can sit down and both enjoy.

It's frequently contrived (it has to be, it would take years and years
for all that good stuff to come in off-the-street, although you might
see most of it over one or two decades), and I think that the prices
paid tend to be difficult to believe - at least somewhat high, I would
guess. Probably slightly glorifies a hard-nosed and tough business.

Also, television shifting from the supposedly profitable "house-
flipping" to "guess what I just gotta pawn today" is a sign of the
times.

But still, a really good TV show.

Anybody have any insights???

The show is rigged but enjoyable in a perverse way.
The old man is repulsive and should be taken out back and shot!
I find it impossible to believe that the average seller would not be aware of
eBay or regular auction venues to sell their goods, rather than taking them to a
pawn shop where you obviously aren't going to make as much.

Old August 24th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 23, 6:34*pm, "El Kabong" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

pawn shop where you obviously aren't going to make as much.- Hide quoted text -

My only note is that the coin biz used to have lot and lots of guys
just like Old Man. Most of them apparently didn't have a wife or
somebody to pull 'em back from the edge.

I guess Reek isn't going to tell us about his GED in Art History.

oly

oly