O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

Old August 22nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default O.K. - "Pawn Stars" - What do you think???

Anybody watch "Pawn Stars"??? Rick Harrison, the Old Man, son Corey
and flunkey Chumley at their Pawn Shop in Las Vegas??? (Well,
actually, it doesn't belong to Chumley).

It's really one of the few TV shows (besides Wheel of Fortune) that my
wife and I can sit down and both enjoy.

It's frequently contrived (it has to be, it would take years and years
for all that good stuff to come in off-the-street, although you might
see most of it over one or two decades), and I think that the prices
paid tend to be difficult to believe - at least somewhat high, I would
guess. Probably slightly glorifies a hard-nosed and tough business.

Also, television shifting from the supposedly profitable "house-
flipping" to "guess what I just gotta pawn today" is a sign of the
times.

But still, a really good TV show.

Anybody have any insights???

oly
Old August 22nd 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

oly wrote:
Anybody watch "Pawn Stars"??? Rick Harrison, the Old Man, son Corey
and flunkey Chumley at their Pawn Shop in Las Vegas??? (Well,
actually, it doesn't belong to Chumley).

It's really one of the few TV shows (besides Wheel of Fortune) that my
wife and I can sit down and both enjoy.

It's frequently contrived (it has to be, it would take years and years
for all that good stuff to come in off-the-street, although you might
see most of it over one or two decades), and I think that the prices
paid tend to be difficult to believe - at least somewhat high, I would
guess. Probably slightly glorifies a hard-nosed and tough business.

Also, television shifting from the supposedly profitable "house-
flipping" to "guess what I just gotta pawn today" is a sign of the
times.

But still, a really good TV show.

Anybody have any insights???

When is it on? If that show airs opposite any of my favorite FoxNews shows,
I'll miss it.

James the Conservative

Old August 22nd 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 22, 12:22*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" wrote:
oly wrote:
[...]

James the Conservative- Hide quoted text -

Well, new episodes appear on Monday nights. My wife records them on
the VCR and we watch them later. Channel??? Heck, I'm not even sure
of that.

Last Monday, a guy walked in with the 1896 Educational $1 bill, $2
bill and a $5.

Luckily for the seller, the 1896 $5 bill was superb (he said he had
$7,500 in the three bills and his wife was extremo ****ed-off).

On the strength of the $5, the trio changed-hands for $8,500.

A fellow named Leonard, who claimed to be an old ANACs person, came in
a did an informal appraisal on the bills for the shop. I seem to
remember the guy from coin shows many years ago.

"Pawn Stars" is very interesting, kind of like "Antiques Roadshow"
without the soignee touch.

oly
Old August 22nd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

It's frequently contrived

I can't watch it for this reason. It's a typical unreal reality show,
largely faked reality, scripted and heavily edited so that all realism
disappears. In this case, the guy who runs the shop often affects
knowledge of esoteric items that you know he couldn't possibly have. To
counter this fakery, he does call in experts about other items. Still,
the overall quality of the show may be best summarized by a statement of
one of the pawn shop's customers, who professed knowledge of the
authenticity of some medieval item she brought in because she saw
similar items in movies, a statement that elicited no response.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old August 22nd 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

It's the highest rated show on the History Channel. It is, of
course, scripted -- the production
company pre screens the people and stuff that gets on the show. The
production company even has
advertised seeking neat items nationwide, with free travel to Las
Vegas for the right stuff.

The people coming in with stuff who end up on the TV show almost
surely get an appearance fee in
the $100 to $500 range, but they are not supposed to divulge that.

A comedy writer suggests appropriate insults. It is filmed in the
real store, Rick will
answer the phone if you call.

They are on ebay at http://stores.ebay.com/Gold-and-Silver-Pawn-Shop

As the manager of a coin and jewelry store for 10 years in the 1990s
many of the situations are
familiar, such as people who have convinced themselves that an obvious
fake is real, or thinking
that if an item is worth $1000 retail, that a store is going to PAY
them $1000.

Old August 22nd 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 22, 12:54*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

It's frequently contrived

I can't watch it for this reason. It's a typical unreal reality show,
largely faked reality, scripted and heavily edited so that all realism
disappears. In this case, the guy who runs the shop often affects
knowledge of esoteric items that you know he couldn't possibly have. To
counter this fakery, he does call in experts about other items. Still,
the overall quality of the show may be best summarized by a statement of
one of the pawn shop's customers, who professed knowledge of the
authenticity of some medieval item she brought in because she saw
similar items in movies, a statement that elicited no response.

--

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

The pacing of the television show has to be contrived, because the
viewer can't be expected to sit there for three or four months hoping
for (maybe) five really nice items to come in.

IMHO, the practical experience of working in a Pawn Shop for over
twenty years could very well offset the apparent lack of diploma-like
credentials from some institution of higher learning. Also, these
folks have books, they have internet access. And, they still don't
claim to know everything.

In one of the last two episodes, Rick Harrison was shown a U.S. Civil
War encased 3 cent postage stamp, a nice one, and readily adimtted
that he didn't know what it was. And he readily called in an expert
for help.

As for the customers, many come into the shop with some of the
hackneyed bull**** stories known to mankind. The people who know
their stuff is dross always have the best stories!!!

Of course, Rick Harrison might just indeed know everything, as he is
actually your identical twin brother, Reed, accidently separated at
birth.

oly
--------------------
Sorry, I want responses to my OP, just not from Gainsburger.

Old August 22nd 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

wrote:
On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

[...]

Well, that was encouraging, at least Jagerschnitzel wasn't cast in the same
dim view.

James

Old August 22nd 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:
On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

If you let me call you Meathead, and laugh at that, you are a
reasonable and well-balance person.

Which I know from several personal meetings on various Midwestern
bourse floors.

Even if you don't realize that everything on FOX is the absolute
Gospel truth.

oly
Old August 22nd 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers[_2_]

Default Enough of that apcray former title bar

wrote:
On 8/22/2010 2:17 PM, oly wrote:

[...]

Well, of course I'm reasonable and well-balanced. All us pablum-pukers are
that way.

Which I know from several personal meetings on various Midwestern
bourse floors.

Shhh, oly, people are starting to talk.

Even if you don't realize that everything on FOX is the absolute
Gospel truth.

Hey oly, would you be interested in buying those big smokestacks in the
south end of Springpatch? I'm looking to flip 'em for a very small profit.
You can make 30%-35% on your investment and have it paid for in just a few
years. Such a deal I make you!

James the Wheeler-Deeler (apologies to Ken Barr)