Shield nickel struck thru cloth

Old April 3rd 10, 01:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Shield nickel struck thru cloth

Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was
especially curious about one, which is atypical. I took it to a local
coin dealer, who declined to speculate on what it was or what it was
struck on.

I have not photos, yet, on the coin. One side is described as an 1873
"closed 3" in VF+ condition. The container it came in state "split
after strike". A curious statement. Looking through my copy of 2006
U.S. Coin Digest, p. 30, the reverse of the nickel appears to be
"struck through cloth" or III-K-1 error. Rippling ridges are present
over the entire reverse.

The coin was weighed (only approximate, I'm afraid, since the dealer's
scale only gives the weight in grams) at 2 grams. A Shield nickel
should weigh about 5 grams. The coin is visibly much thinner than the
other Shield nickel I received. The edge, near what would be the rim,
is missing, and is quite sharp, like a dull knife. A Seated Liberty
Dime for 1874 should weigh 2.4900 grams if uncirculated.

I suspect this is a Shield nickel struck through cloth on a Seated
Liberty dime planchet. I will be posting photos of this, uh, thing
shortly.

My questions to the group: has anyone seen such an error before? Does
it make economic sense to submit such a coin to PCGS or other grading
company (ANACS, NGC, etc) for grading/authentication?

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 3rd 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was

Just took photos of above and posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577219857lAqKRM

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 3rd 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

wrote in message
On Apr 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was

Just took photos of above and posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577219857lAqKRM

Daniel B. Wheeler

It's a split planchet.
The split occurred after the coin was struck, so conceivably its mate is still
out there somewhere.

Old April 3rd 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 2, 5:59 pm, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was

Just took photos of above and posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577219857lAqKRM

Daniel B. Wheeler

It's a split planchet.
The split occurred after the coin was struck, so conceivably its mate is still
out there somewhere.

So you are saying it is approximately half of the original planchet?
Do you know of any photos of such a thing?

Why would the reverse have such ordered, wavy lines, which appears to
mimic the photo in 2006 Coin Digest (p. 30) of an III-K-1 Struck
Through Cloth? Wouldn't a split planchet be a clean surface?

Just asking. I've never seen a split planchet before, nor seen photos
of it.

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 3rd 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 2, 5:49 pm, wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:13 pm, wrote: Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was

Just took photos of above and posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577219857lAqKRM

Daniel B. Wheeler

Just reviewed photos, and found something else. On the reverse of the
1873 at the top, the U (in TRUST) looks more like either a C, O, or U,
depending on which way the coin happens to be facing. Odd.

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 3rd 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote in message

On Apr 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was

Just took photos of above and posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577219857lAqKRM

Daniel B. Wheeler

It's a split planchet.
The split occurred after the coin was struck, so conceivably its mate is still
out there somewhere.

Just went to this site:

http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

and found example of split planchet coin. I can see where you might
think this was the same.

I don't think it matches the description, though. A split planchet
should have striations: lines, on the split surface. My coin appears
to have an irregular wavy appearance.

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 3rd 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Apr 2, 10:48*pm, wrote:

I don't think it matches the description, though. A split planchet
should have striations: lines, on the split surface. My coin appears
to have an irregular wavy appearance.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Dan, I too believe it to be a split planchet. I don't believe it to be
struck on wrong planchet as the obverse was well struck, and
practically zero reverse. The photos of the edge were quite telling,
as it appears that one side of the coin to be thicker than the other
but not affecting the strike on the obverse. Conclusion: well struck
coin that split after being minted.
Just my 2¢ worth, 2.5 times.

Jud

Old April 3rd 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

wrote in message

On Apr 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
Today I received an Ebay purchase of 2 Shield nickels. I was
Just took photos of above and posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/577219857lAqKRM

Daniel B. Wheeler

It's a split planchet.
The split occurred after the coin was struck, so conceivably its mate is
still
out there somewhere.

Just went to this site:

http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

and found example of split planchet coin. I can see where you might
think this was the same.

I don't think it matches the description, though. A split planchet
should have striations: lines, on the split surface. My coin appears
to have an irregular wavy appearance.

You asked for opinions.
Then you want to argue when you get them.
I'm done with you.

Old April 3rd 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 7:09 am, "Scurvy Dog" wrote:
[snip]

You asked for opinions.

I did.
Then you want to argue when you get them.

I'm not arguing. I thought we were discussing a coin.
I'm done with you.

Thanks for your opinion. Bye.

Daniel B. Wheeler
Old April 3rd 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 2, 9:42 pm, Jud wrote:
On Apr 2, 10:48 pm, wrote:

I don't think it matches the description, though. A split planchet
should have striations: lines, on the split surface. My coin appears
to have an irregular wavy appearance.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Dan, I too believe it to be a split planchet. I don't believe it to be
struck on wrong planchet as the obverse was well struck, and
practically zero reverse. The photos of the edge were quite telling,
as it appears that one side of the coin to be thicker than the other
but not affecting the strike on the obverse. Conclusion: well struck
coin that split after being minted.
Just my 2¢ worth, 2.5 times.

Jud

Thanks, Jud.