Nickels and Dimes

Old May 21st 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Nickels and Dimes

Hello,
A friend asked me to evaluate some coins from his dad. So I buy
a 2007 redbook and Making the Grade, a picture guide to grading coins.
These are coins from approx 1883 to present and most all are in albums.
Some of these coins, if they were in nice condition, would be of
considerable value. Examples: 1901S & 1913S quarters, 1895O & 1916D
dimes,
and 1885, 1886, 1912S, 1913S v2, 1918 D/17, & 1937D-3 leg nickels. With
some of these coins, especially the nickels, it's really hard to tell
what they are. I think the obverse would grade FR-2 and the reverse G-6
on some of the nickels...So, my question is, how does one determine the
value of a coin that grades less than a G-4? I do not see any certified
coins on ebay that are less than G-4... does that mean that the grading
services won't accept lesser grade coins for slabing? I think the
dimes and quarters would probably grade VG-8 and better. Next question:
Any thoughts as to how I should sell these? Time is not an issue and I
was thinking I might the lower dollar items as a year set under each
denomination. For example, sell the 1899, 1899O, & 1899S dimes as a 3
coin set. I don't think it would ne best to sell them in large groups,
like sell the entire 1913-1938 buffalo nickels in one listing... but
should I break it down so far as to sell each individual coin in it's
own listing? I can see listing the high dollar coins individually, I
don't know the best way to do the others.
I appreciate hearing anythoughts about this and if this post is in any
way inappropiate for this group, please forgive me. Thank you.
Jon )

Old May 21st 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Coins in low-down grades are indeed slabbed, especially such items as 01-S
quarters. Unless the date/mint combination is really rare, though, the cost
of slabbing gets to be too great a percentage of the value of the coin, so
you observe correctly that such items are rarely encountered. Then consider
that there is not much profit in faking low-down common coins, so slabbing
is not seen as much of a necessity. Finally, I'd say that the overdate
buffalo is not worth much more than 5c unless one can actually make out the
overdate, so slabbing a G-4 example doesn't have any meaning to most folks.

As far as pricing, a truly choice AG-3 will often go for G-4 money,
especially if it is an unusual item. Otherwise, figure about half to 2/3 of
G-4 money, and expect to have the item in your possession for a while.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 21st 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jon wrote:
[...]

From a non-dealer perspective. Generally speaking, a complete set of
coins in the condition you describe and spanning the time you have
described with all key dates is interesting. These coins without the
keys would likely not garner more than a glance. The question, to my
mind, is how does a reputable dealer assess the value of the complete
set. I'd bet he/she does not run a finger down some spreadsheet and
tabulate the price of each common date - especially if they are beaters.
I may well be wrong. Ask a reputable dealer. There'll probably be
one who comes along soon - after their rcc third Sunday brunch is over
with. Hope like heck they haven't been drinking mamosas (sp?).

--
JMark
Old May 21st 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
A friend asked me to evaluate some coins from his dad. So I buy
a 2007 redbook and Making the Grade, a picture guide to grading coins.

Jon, a very good way to learn the true value of any coin especially the
rarer ones is to do a search on ebay, beleive it or not ... the market will
dictate their value, not the red book which is just that, a guide (printed
last year). if you have an 18D/17 buffalo i can tell you even in ag it will
bring around $500. do the search. The buffalo nickel market is very hot
right now. i assume this is due to re-newed interest because of the new
nickels out.

sr