So what happened to Mid-America???

Old June 22nd 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default So what happened to Mid-America???

oly wrote:
While I wasn't paying attention, the annual Mid-America show in
Chicago/Rosemont/Schaumberg seems to have disappeared???

oly

News of the cancellation of Mid-America 2010 broke back in November on the
Yahoo everycountry group. The PTB at KM were and remain very tight-lipped
about the reasons, but one of the dealers, a most respectable world coin
dealer whom I am sure you know suspects that the reason it was cancelled was
lack of dealer support. He attributes this in turn to an unfavorable
cost-per-table/attendee ratio, plus a general lack of proper and effective
publicity.

In my view, the new location was vastly superior to Rosemont in so many
ways, but if the public doesn't know when and where the show is to take
place, they're just not going to come, and that was indeed the case in 2008
and 2009.

Its status for 2011 and beyond remains uncertain. With Central States
poised to occupy the Schaumburg location every spring starting in 2012, I'd
not hold my breath about Mid-America being resurrected.

James

Old June 22nd 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 21, 5:56*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
[...]

I bought several of Brad Ream's "EveryCountry" Group elongated coins
about two weeks back. One design was Napoleonic and one was Spanish 8
reales. Very nicely done designs.

I don't go to Mid-America every year, but since we missed CICF, it was
a possibility this time.

When your show falls off of the "class" dealers' schedules, it's hard
to get back on.

There were several years where Mid-America was held in conjunction
with a Krause-sponsored antique show and maybe a third Krause show
too.

oly

Old June 22nd 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
[...]

I wondered why I didn't see your smiling countenance at CICF. Now I won't
see it at Mid America either.

When Mid America moved to the dreadful Rosemont venue, that was their first
mistake. Then they canned the concessionnaire that sold those delicious,
mammoth Sloppy Joes for five bucks, their second mistake. It's been
downhill from there.

James

Old June 22nd 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:
[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

Work days are work days, and most have some flexibility. Byt then,
there is (are) about one or two occasions per year when circumstances
dictate that I absolutely, positively have to show up at work. CICF
Friday fell on one of those days this year. Oh well, the thing that
needed to be taken care of that day did get taken care of.

oly