Stamp website

Old June 22nd 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default Stamp website

I am updating my French Marianne collection and would like to use
information from the website: http://www.abelard.org/france/marianne.php
The problem is the pages are black background. I have not been able to
change the background to white.
Does anyone know how to do this? Copy and paste to a document does not
work.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old June 23rd 09, 08:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
I am updating my French Marianne collection and would like to use
information from the website: http://www.abelard.org/france/marianne.php
The problem is the pages are black background. I have not been able to
change the background to white.
Does anyone know how to do this? Copy and paste to a document does not
work.

Just for testing purposes, I have copy-pasted some text from this page to
Notepad (and then immediately deleted the whole). Of course, you will need a
permission to use it, because it is (implicitly and explicitly) copyrighted.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old June 23rd 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Ralphael1 wrote:
I am updating my French Marianne collection and would like to use
information from the website: http://www.abelard.org/france/marianne.php
The problem is the pages are black background. I have not been able to
change the background to white.
Does anyone know how to do this? Copy and paste to a document does not
work.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one

In Firefox, View - Page Source, Select All, Copy, then Paste in Notepad
or elsewhere. That will get you all the text. What you do with it is up
to you...
I was also able to copy and paste directly from Firefox to Microsoft
Word but the formatting was pretty badly messed up.
Again, be aware of copyright restrictions.

Bill
Old June 24th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

G'day Ralphael,
you would do yourself a service be having a small suite
such as MSWorks, or Free office for these sorts of jobs.

Open the page
Edit / select all
Edit / copy

open your word processor page of choice
Edit / paste special / unformatted text.

You can pick up a copy of MSWorks version 4.5a for abut $5
that gives you a "kindergarten" style Word processor / spreadsheet /
database
that's a whizz to operate.

Old June 24th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

"Ralphael1" wrote in message

I am updating my French Marianne collection and would like to use
information from the website:
http://www.abelard.org/france/marianne.php The problem is the pages are
black background. I have not been able to change the background to
white.
Does anyone know how to do this? Copy and paste to a document does not
work.

OpenOffice.org (that's the name and the website) has a *free* office
suite that is IMO just as good, if not better, than M$'s. But "paste
special" should do it. Also, you could go to File - Save As - HTML
only (or something like that), save it to a file, and if it's written
with HTML background tabs instead of using stylesheets, change the
'border="black"' or 'border="#000000"' (it should be one of those, and be
in the "BODY" tag).

You have permission, yes?

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 24th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Is "open office" a genuine "suite"?
can you acess db,wp, and ss seamlessly?
Is the database a "flatfile" database?
MSWorks has 154 fields, 32,000 records, open office?
I am curious........that is, if you are au fait with finer points of the
program..
thanks.

"Joshua McGee"

Old June 24th 09, 11:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rodney" wrote in message

Is "open office" a genuine "suite"?
can you acess db,wp, and ss seamlessly?
Is the database a "flatfile" database?
MSWorks has 154 fields, 32,000 records, open office?
I am curious........that is, if you are au fait with finer points of the
program..

Rodney,

You will find here what you need, and maybe even more

http://www.openoffice.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org

Old June 24th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Bill Sharpe found these unused words:

Ralphael1 wrote:
I am updating my French Marianne collection and would like to use
information from the website: http://www.abelard.org/france/marianne.php
The problem is the pages are black background. I have not been able to
change the background to white.
Does anyone know how to do this? Copy and paste to a document does not
work.

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one

In Firefox, View - Page Source, Select All, Copy, then Paste in Notepad
or elsewhere. That will get you all the text. What you do with it is up
to you...
I was also able to copy and paste directly from Firefox to Microsoft
Word but the formatting was pretty badly messed up.
Again, be aware of copyright restrictions.

Bill

That's [shudder] MS-Word. If you paste directly into an HTML editor, it's
fine.

FrontPage 2002 seems to hiccup on the page as well when pasted. Of
course that's also a Microsoft product.

Bill
Old June 25th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jim[_11_]

Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

I tried making a PDF out of the page and it turned the background white
and printed it pretty much like it showed in the browser. I user Primo
PDF to print it to the PDF. I'll send you the copy that I printed if
you like.

Jim
Old June 25th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Ralphael1 wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Please do Jim. The response information is mind boggling to say the
least.

Thanks,

Ralph