Superbowl curse

Old February 7th 05, 02:59 AM
Dale Hallmark

Default Superbowl curse

Ok I admit it, I am not a football fan and I forgot that the superbowl
was today. I had 9 auctions ending today and only four sold.

Well these were not US coins and not likely to draw all that much attention
under the best of conditions but a couple that I thought surely will sell
for a
dollar or two didn't even draw a bid.

The ones that did get bid on didn't get a bid in the last three hours.
Mostly my auctions seem to all get the bids in the last three hours but not
today.

I broke even but there is always next week :-)

Dale

Old February 7th 05, 04:05 AM
John Ahnen

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
Ok I admit it, I am not a football fan and I forgot that the superbowl
was today. I had 9 auctions ending today and only four sold.

Well these were not US coins and not likely to draw all that much

attention
under the best of conditions but a couple that I thought surely will sell
for a
dollar or two didn't even draw a bid.

The ones that did get bid on didn't get a bid in the last three hours.
Mostly my auctions seem to all get the bids in the last three hours but

not
today.

I broke even but there is always next week :-)

Dale

I had five auctions ending today, although they ended several hours before
the game started. They did not do as well as I had hoped they would but it
could have been due to other factors...

The pics (bad camera)

Or maybe the coins were too common (they were nice to me)

Oh well, I'll try again in the future, maybe I have that special something
that someone just can't live without...

Old February 7th 05, 04:12 AM
Edwin Johnston

Dale Hallmark wrote:
Ok I admit it, I am not a football fan and I forgot that the superbowl
was today. I had 9 auctions ending today and only four sold.

Well these were not US coins and not likely to draw all that much attention
under the best of conditions but a couple that I thought surely will sell
for a
dollar or two didn't even draw a bid.

The ones that did get bid on didn't get a bid in the last three hours.
Mostly my auctions seem to all get the bids in the last three hours but not
today.

I broke even but there is always next week :-)

Dale

My bad luck was neglecting to shop eBay today, I guess.
Old February 7th 05, 04:34 AM
Bill Krummel

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
Ok I admit it, I am not a football fan and I forgot that the superbowl
was today. I had 9 auctions ending today and only four sold.

Well these were not US coins and not likely to draw all that much
attention
under the best of conditions but a couple that I thought surely will sell
for a
dollar or two didn't even draw a bid.

The ones that did get bid on didn't get a bid in the last three hours.
Mostly my auctions seem to all get the bids in the last three hours but
not today.

I broke even but there is always next week :-)

Dale

The three auctions of mine that ended tonight didn't do too well at the end.
Looks like one rcc'er was sniping, though;

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3955911867

Aram's bid was at 19:44:33. Auction ended at 19:45:00

No bids during the last 4-5 hours on my other two auctions.

Bill

Old February 7th 05, 06:36 AM
Aram H. Haroutunian

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:34:24 -0600, "Bill Krummel"
wrote:

[...]

=================
I was really surprised and embarrassed to get it for that price. But
if I hadn't bid, it would have gone for $5.01 plus shipping. If I
hadn't bid, I would have been angry and disappointed. Surprised and
embarrassed is better. :-)
Aram.

Old February 7th 05, 01:25 PM
Steve Ruud

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 20:59:14 -0600, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

Ok I admit it, I am not a football fan and I forgot that the superbowl
was today. I had 9 auctions ending today and only four sold.

The ones that did get bid on didn't get a bid in the last three hours.
Mostly my auctions seem to all get the bids in the last three hours but not
today.

Well, I figured the SB time frame would be a time to perhaps pick up
some 2004 proof sets at a little less than the going rate of $60+ per
set.

I, like many others, was caught surprised when the mint halted sales
in early November. I usually purchases 10 sets per year for gifts but
got a whopping goose egg last year. So it's off to eBay I go.

I set up phantom bidder (as was recommended in other posts in this
group) to put bids in on 20 auctions for proof sets that ended during
the 4+ hours of the game. Out of those 20, I won 2. There were 3
others that, had I been in front of my computer bidding, I might have
been able to win for a buck or two more. Oh well though.

The two that I did win, I did win for less than the max I was willing
to pay.

Overall, not a bad first experience with phantom bidder. Easy enough
to use, price is reasonable (free for the first two weeks) and it
actually seems to work well.

Anyone else snipe or pick up some bargins during "the" game?

Steve
Buy the book before the coin
don't forget to *READ* the book after you've bought it!
It doesn't do anything just sitting on the shelf

(remove ATTITUDE to reply via e-mail)
Old February 7th 05, 02:45 PM
Randy Thompson

I had three coins that ended last night. I didn't watch the game so I
don't know if they ended before or after the game was over. All three
of them sold, but of course since I started them at face I knew they
would a week ago.

I came out fine on mine, after being worried a bit earlier in the week.
One of them sold below my cost, but not much. One sold so much above
my cost that it more than made up for it. Of course I had owned that
coin for 24 years, so I would have really been bummed if I lost money
on it.

I did receive some last minute sniping on two of the coins and an RCCer
won the half dime (which, by the way, I think was the best deal of the
three).

I picked up one coin earlier in the day for a decent price. I won't
know if it's a bargain until I receive it. It was a trade dollar in an
old green PCI EF40 holder. The picture was lousy, but if it's graded
as conservatively as most of their early holders I've seen then I did
well.

Overall I think I did fine. Maybe the curse is just on those who
actually watch the game.

Old February 7th 05, 09:11 PM
Ron

wrote:

Ok I admit it, I am not a football fan and I forgot that the superbowl
was today. I had 9 auctions ending today and only four sold.

Well these were not US coins and not likely to draw all that much attention
under the best of conditions but a couple that I thought surely will sell
for a
dollar or two didn't even draw a bid.

The ones that did get bid on didn't get a bid in the last three hours.
Mostly my auctions seem to all get the bids in the last three hours but not
today.

I broke even but there is always next week :-)

I had a couple of auctions up that ended around 9:30 CST. One of the
auctions was for a 2004 Westward Journey set. It sold for $45.55.
Kind of a low price.

My first thought was that it was SB related but I just looked at some
closing prices, most are now selling for under $60. Many are selling
in the the $45 to $55 range. They appear to be cooling off.

Ron