Reputable U.S. Dealers that don't sell slabs

Old January 30th 05, 07:54 PM
Jorg Lueke

Default Reputable U.S. Dealers that don't sell slabs

Out of the big PNG member dealers of US coins how many still sell mostly
just the coin without a third party slab holder? Stacks and Julian
Leidman are the only ones that come to mind...
Old January 30th 05, 09:27 PM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:54:20 -0600, "Jorg Lueke"
is alleged to have written:
Out of the big PNG member dealers of US coins how many still sell mostly
just the coin without a third party slab holder? Stacks and Julian
Leidman are the only ones that come to mind...

Julian sells as much slabs as he does raw. Almost every dealer is
going to deal with slabs in one way or another. Even Stacks sells
slabbed coins, but only the ones that come in the door slabbed.

Bruce

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old January 30th 05, 10:12 PM

Many of the copper guys sell a great majority of non-slabs

Old January 30th 05, 11:13 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:27:02 GMT, Bruce H (BoxTurtle)
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:54:20 -0600, "Jorg Lueke"
is alleged to have written:
Out of the big PNG member dealers of US coins how many still sell mostly
just the coin without a third party slab holder? Stacks and Julian
Leidman are the only ones that come to mind...

Julian sells as much slabs as he does raw. Almost every dealer is
going to deal with slabs in one way or another. Even Stacks sells
slabbed coins, but only the ones that come in the door slabbed.

Bruce

Right they don't necvessarily break them out, but they don't go looking
for them or spend $ to have the coins encased.
Old January 31st 05, 12:43 AM
Fletch

Yep, and I bought a raw coin with a recent Stack's pedigree. Two grading
services body bagged it for an old cleaning. (NGC and ICG). It was a
thousand dollar coin. Was.

--Keith

news

Old January 31st 05, 01:08 AM
Wes Chormicle

We sell mostly raw coins. However if a slab come in, I'll keep it in the
slab (unless it's a bottom feeder slab). We rarely slab a coin with a value
of less then $300. Expensive coins I'll slab. This week the Morgan set I
bought has a (my opinion) 1893-S G-4, 1889-CC AU-50 and a 1885-CC in MS-62,
these are getting slabbed (pcgs) if they don't sell in a week. Most people
like a little assurance that the (expensive) coins are genuine and properly
graded.

Wes
"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
news
Out of the big PNG member dealers of US coins how many still sell mostly
just the coin without a third party slab holder? Stacks and Julian
Leidman are the only ones that come to mind...

---

Old January 31st 05, 04:41 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:43:39 GMT, Fletch wrote:

Yep, and I bought a raw coin with a recent Stack's pedigree. Two grading
services body bagged it for an old cleaning. (NGC and ICG). It was a
thousand dollar coin. Was.

What's it worth now with the Stacks but without the NGC and ICG pedigrees?
Old January 31st 05, 12:58 PM
Fletch

My guess is six or seven hundred U.S. It has great detail. I cannot detect
the cleaning myself -- other than the lack of luster...or perhaps that is
what they look for?

I put it in an envelope and am hoping it will retone. It's a 1800 half
cent.

--keith

news

Old January 31st 05, 01:00 PM
Fletch

And I would feel obligated to tell any potential buyer about the ICG/NGC
determination.

--K

news