Counterfeit slabbed Morgans

Old November 25th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Counterfeit slabbed Morgans

Anybody have any pictures or specimens of one of the counterfeit
Morgan dollars, apparently minted in the early 20th century, that
slipped past the top grading services? A picture of one in a slab
would be best. Nobody's perfect. g

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old November 25th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Anybody have any pictures or specimens of one of the counterfeit
Morgan dollars, apparently minted in the early 20th century, that
slipped past the top grading services? A picture of one in a slab
would be best. Nobody's perfect. g

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article...universeid=313

Bob Leonard

Old November 26th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On 25 Nov 2006 12:58:28 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article...universeid=313

Bob Leonard

Thanks. Saw that last year, though I didn't save it, and good to see
it again. It would be fun to see one of these in a slab, online or in
person. I suspect that many people have taken advantage of PCGS's
guarantee. But no doubt some haven't in that these as slabbed
"authenticated" pieces now have some value as a curiosity -- fakes
that fooled the experts. I'd put this online. Not to embarrass but as
an educational tool and warning that nothing beats gaining this
knowledge yourself. The same is true with a few ancient coin areas
that I follow, the Black Sea Hoard and New York Hoard fakes of
Apollonia Pontika and Mesembria fractions, for instance, which also
fooled the experts.

Old November 26th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message Thanks.
Saw that last year, though I didn't save it, and good to see
it again. It would be fun to see one of these in a slab, online or in
person. I suspect that many people have taken advantage of PCGS's
guarantee. But no doubt some haven't in that these as slabbed
"authenticated" pieces now have some value as a curiosity -- fakes
that fooled the experts. I'd put this online. Not to embarrass but as
an educational tool and warning that nothing beats gaining this
knowledge yourself. The same is true with a few ancient coin areas
that I follow, the Black Sea Hoard and New York Hoard fakes of
Apollonia Pontika and Mesembria fractions, for instance, which also
fooled the experts.

--

Psssst.... don't tell the condiment, but I really want one of these Morgans
for my collection.

Old November 27th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 11/26/2006
at 06:03 PM, Reid Goldsborough said:

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article...universeid=313

Thanks. Saw that last year, though I didn't save it, and good to see it
again. It would be fun to see one of these in a slab, online or in person.

Wow! It's a balmy, lazy, slow Sunday evening in Cleveland. I'm
procrastinating the listing of a handful of duplicates bust halves on eBay,
so I decided to read this article. Very interesting! I may have found a
reason to collect at least some varieties of 'Morgan Dollars' .

Even more interesting. Right there on the PCGS web site as the summary
paragraph of this article is:

"Interestingly, many in the numismatic community likely will still collect
these curiosities. They are such good copies that they have circulated with
genuine silver dollars since they were made. As with some Colonial issues,
collectors strive to complete their sets and include circulating
counterfeits of many issues. When the copy is good enough to fool the rank
and file, the imposter has no trouble traveling in the circle of genuine
coins."

You mean, some collectors actually go for these types of contemporary fakes?
(rhetorical) Wow, and many like to "complete their collections" by
including these? (rhetorical). Why am I not surprised? Ok, ok, so I've
been living, and collecting, in the Real World ... unlike at least one other
"regulrar" poster.

I suppose we can now include fake Morgan Dollars under the ANA code of
ethics exception ... "with the exception of items generally accepted by
numismatists". I would imagine that the all-knowing folks at PCGS know about
Boggs and contraban, yes? (rhetorical) Why didn't PCGS post a warning
about folks getting their car seized and all the other doom and gloom?
(rhetorical)

Nick
Old November 27th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:15:31 -0500, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

I suppose we can now include fake Morgan Dollars under the ANA code of
ethics exception ... "with the exception of items generally accepted by
numismatists". I would imagine that the all-knowing folks at PCGS know about
Boggs and contraban, yes? (rhetorical) Why didn't PCGS post a warning
about folks getting their car seized and all the other doom and gloom?
(rhetorical)

PCGS must not know these are contraband. Somebody ought to tell them!