Correct DJ for Robert Harris Book.

Old December 19th 04, 08:52 PM
Concrete Cow

Default Correct DJ for Robert Harris Book.

Hi , i have a first edition copy of Enigma by Robert Harris , this has a DJ
with the title ENIGMA on the spine coloured yellow , i have another 1st that
has the ENIGMA on the spine in white , could someone tell me which is the
correct one . (before someone asks its not due to fading or anything).
Also i recently bought a signed edition which is a 4th printing , would this
be viable or have i been had , the signature looks authentic as i have
another book with the authors sig which i know is real.

Old December 20th 04, 04:32 AM
Jon Meyers

"Concrete Cow" wrote...
Hi , i have a first edition copy of Enigma by Robert Harris , this has a

DJ
with the title ENIGMA on the spine coloured yellow , i have another 1st

that
has the ENIGMA on the spine in white , could someone tell me which is the
correct one . (before someone asks its not due to fading or anything).

A little more information would be helpful. Since you are posting from BT,
I presume you are referring to the UK first from Hutchinson. If you were
referring to the US first from Random House, I would first ask: Are they
both trade-edition dustjackets? That is, do both jackets have a price on
the front flap? If one has no price, then it's a book-club edition, and the
other jacket would be the genuine article. I'm less well-informed about
identifying British book-club editions, but that's still the first thing I'd
look into.

If both jackets carry a price, do they both show the same price? Are there
any other differences--in the flap copy, or in the blurbs on the back panel?
This might help differentiate the first issue of the jacket from a later
issue.

Also i recently bought a signed edition which is a 4th printing , would

this
be viable or have i been had , the signature looks authentic as i have
another book with the authors sig which i know is real.

A collector of modern firsts would consider only the first printing a true
first edition, so a signed 4th printing would only be considered valuable or
collectable if the book is scarce in any printing, and/or the signature is
hard to come by.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

Old December 20th 04, 07:49 PM
Concrete Cow

Thanks for the reply Jon.

Both Dustjackets have a price on , the yellow one says £15.99 Net in UK only
, the white just says £15.99 , on the back of both jackets is the same
wording 'Praise for Fatherland the No1 international bestseller' then
reviews of Fatherland from 6 different newspapers . I have found out that
later editions had the white spine but had the wording 'Critical acclaim for
Enigma' and 7 reviews of Enigma .

Lee.

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
Americana 109: The Last Word Jerry Morris Books 0 January 25th 04 03:04 AM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM