books about medicine

Old August 2nd 05, 11:04 PM
dario

Default books about medicine

where can i download books about medicine (neuroscience,
neurosurgery...)...? thanks!

Old August 3rd 05, 01:52 AM
Allison Turner-

on Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:04:59 +0200, dario stated:

where can i download books about medicine (neuroscience,
neurosurgery...)...? thanks!

You mean up-to-date modern ones? Free on the net? If you
find reliable ones, let me know. (I wouldn't be the least bit
surprised if Fred's Fly-By-Night Publishing House and Newage
[rhymes with sewage] Tinfoil Hat Promotion Headquarters had a
number of 'medical' books available; be cautious about what you
find.)

There's a movement to get scientific articles freely available;
anyone funded by NIH has to make their publications accessible
on PubMed, and an increasing number of journals are making
their online copies available to all. Since I work for a very
small institution that can only afford a few subscriptions (a
thousand bucks a year per journal, anyone? and there are
*thousands* of scientific journals) I look forward to the day
when they're all available. How the journal publishers will
stay afloat without subscription fees I'm not sure, but it's
been done in the field of Physics for many years, so it must
be possible.

Anyway. Check out HighWire Press: http://highwire.stanford.edu/
to get access to most of the journals that are currently free.
They might have some books, too - I haven't wandered around their
site in a while. If you're looking to understand some basics and
the general details about neuroscience, you might try entering
"neuroscience" in the title search box and clicking "review
articles only," on their advanced search page. Or find a neuro
journal there and browse it for review articles.

Scientific review articles can be pretty intense (onelook.com is
your friend for all those long tangled medical terms), but they'll
tell you all that's happened in the last x years on the topic.

Your local library might also have some electronic versions of
some medical texts.

-Allison
trying to figure out how to claim that this post relates to
collecting books.... I 'collect' free online journals? does
that count?

Old August 3rd 05, 09:34 PM
William M. Klimon

dario wrote:

where can i download books about medicine (neuroscience,
neurosurgery...)...? thanks!

http://www.bartleby.com/107/
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...callover?key=R

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old August 4th 05, 02:15 AM
William M. Klimon

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
oups.com...

where can i download books about medicine (neuroscience,
neurosurgery...)...? thanks!

http://www.bartleby.com/107/
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...callover?key=R

Or look under your floor boards:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4735395.stm

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old August 4th 05, 11:54 AM
dario

thanks! (don't ask me anything in english)

Old August 9th 05, 06:44 PM
telicalbook

With the lessening of the activity of Usenet, the old obsessive
standards of usenet etiquette, which probably helped lessen posts, is
hopefully out the window.

Robert

--
Robert Pearson