FA: Architectural Gardens of Italy by Arthur Holland Forbes

Old August 4th 05, 03:27 PM
Allison Turner-

on Thu, 04 Aug 2005 04:15:12 GMT, Eric Hochman stated:

Allison Turner- wrote:

Do you collect anything in particular?

I think at this point I'm more of an accumulator than a collector. If
I get more space for books, I will fill it.

Now that's funny! I shall now refer to myself as a book
accumulator, instead of a collector. And I actually built
an entire extra room onto my house just for the books.
The shelves are full already, and there are many stacks
on the floor; I'll have to sift through for what I think
is junk, and try the ebay crap-shoot sometime - nothing to
lose.

My specialties are books about stamps and coins (my other collecting
interests). You really need a good reference library for those, and a
lot of the books are old, out of print or just hard to come by (small
print runs from obscure publishers). You can actually find a lot of
goodies because it's not an area that book shop owners know well.

I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/horror. Most of it is schlock, but
occasionally I see something that I have has gone out of print and
become collectible.

Some of those old schlock covers are pretty amusing. I
shall have to check whether my mother still has any of
the SF periodicals that were on her shelves in the 60s.

My father was a fairly serious book collector and I spent a lot of time
at the Strand bookstore in NYC as a kid. It's a great store, but also
to blame for putting many of the other, smaller used bookstores in NYC
out of business.

I think a friend of mine took me there about six or
seven years ago. She took me to a gigantic used book
store, anyway; I was in heaven. Though they didn't
have much in the way of pre-1900 medical books.

-Allison

Old August 5th 05, 05:15 PM
Eric Bustad

Eric Hochman wrote:
I think it varies group to group, both in terms of whether it's
intended to happen (for example, rec.collecting.coins seems to
encourage coin-related ads), and whether anyone is willing to enforce
the norms (one isn't supposed to adverise in rec.collecting.stamps, but
people do and no one ever tells them not to). I suspect most groups
want to avoid ads or keep them in a separate area.

I know now to check carefully before assuming otherwise.

Note that the rec.collecting.stamps group is officially obsolete -- it
was split a number of years ago into rec.collecting.stamps.discuss and
rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace. Write access to it should have been
shut off, but many news servers continue to allow posting to it. Since
it is no longer an "official" newsgroup, no one really cares about
policing it anymore.

= Eric