Looking for info about "Knitting and Sewing - How to Make 70 Useful Articles for Men in the Army and Navy 1918"

Old August 4th 05, 03:08 PM

Default Looking for info about "Knitting and Sewing - How to Make 70 Useful Articles for Men in the Army and Navy 1918"

Hello all...

I picked up this book over the weekend and I'm trying to get some
information on it.

Knitting and Sewing - How to Make 70 Useful Articles for Men in the
Army and Navy
By Maud Churchill Nicoll
New York: George H. Doran Company, 1918

I checked on abebooks.com and only saw two entries for it. One was for
$50 and one was for $65. I bought it for .99 at my local Savers.

I'm trying to figure out if there is more than one edition of this
book. The book that I have only has the copyright date and doesn't
mention the edition, just the copyright date of 1918. I don't know if
there even was more than one printing of this book. I also tried a
Google search and came up with nothing useful.

I have a few pics available:

http://dcbodybuilding.com/knitting.jpg

http://dcbodybuilding.com/knitting03.jpg

http://dcbodybuilding.com/knitting05.jpg

Has anyone ever heard of this book and/or know anything about it?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Old August 4th 05, 04:38 PM
Billy Bob

May not be what you are looking for, but I found some pages by searching
google.com with the authors name in quotes as follows...

"Maud Churchill Nicoll"

Old August 4th 05, 04:54 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the pages you mentioned but didn't find
any info to help me figure out the edition of the book.

But thanks anyways! I definately appreciate the input.

Joe

Old August 4th 05, 04:57 PM

If I am unable to determine for certain if the book is a first edition
but think it might be, is there an acceptable term for that? I've seen
books listed as "possible first edition" and other similar phrases.

Is there a protocol for this? Please bear with me as I am new to this
and am trying to learn as much as possible.

Old August 4th 05, 05:35 PM
Kris Baker

wrote in message
ups.com...
If I am unable to determine for certain if the book is a first edition
but think it might be, is there an acceptable term for that? I've seen
books listed as "possible first edition" and other similar phrases.

Is there a protocol for this? Please bear with me as I am new to this
and am trying to learn as much as possible.

Protocol? Be honest.

Never "hint" at something you're unsure of.

Kris

Old August 4th 05, 07:58 PM

I AM being honest. I think it might be a first edition but I don't know
for certain.

Old August 4th 05, 08:07 PM

Ok, thanks. Does anyone have a REAL answer for me?

I appreciate sarcasm as much as the next guy, but I AM trying to learn
the proper way to do things.

Thanks, anyway.

Old August 4th 05, 08:43 PM

Excellent. Thanks so much for the info. Where did this information come
from?. Is it available on the web?

Thanks again!

Old August 4th 05, 09:16 PM
Kris Baker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, thanks. Does anyone have a REAL answer for me?

I appreciate sarcasm as much as the next guy, but I AM trying to learn
the proper way to do things.

Thanks, anyway.

Who are you talking to?
What did they say?

Please follow the accepted usenet practice of attributing
and quoting.

Thank you
Kris

Old August 4th 05, 11:48 PM

Once again... Thanks for the great info. I appreciate you going to the
trouble of looking this up for me.
John A. Stovall wrote:
On 4 Aug 2005 12:43:52 -0700, "
wrote:

Excellent. Thanks so much for the info. Where did this information come
from?. Is it available on the web?

It is and it isn't you have to be at an institution which has World
Cat access.

Here's what WorldCat is:

http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/default.htm

From time to time if something here looks interesting I'll run it on
WorldCat. I use it for locating research materials.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/