Who says ex-libs. are not collectible?

Old August 3rd 05, 02:26 AM
William M. Klimon

Default Who says ex-libs. are not collectible?

Check out this story:

http://www.antiquesandthearts.com/AW...-02-16-11-50p1

And then read the description of the lot in question:

http://www.eldreds.com/sales/detail.php?itemID=82088

I don't know enough about Arctic exploration books, but my guess is that the
little volume described as "(anonymous), a small manuscript volume
apparently containing lecture notes on the Nares expedition" may have been
the driving force here.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old August 3rd 05, 03:12 PM
R. Totale

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:26:29 -0400, "William M. Klimon"
wrote:

Check out this story:

http://www.antiquesandthearts.com/AW...-02-16-11-50p1

And then read the description of the lot in question:

http://www.eldreds.com/sales/detail.php?itemID=82088

I don't know enough about Arctic exploration books, but my guess is that the
little volume described as "(anonymous), a small manuscript volume
apparently containing lecture notes on the Nares expedition" may have been
the driving force here.

The description isn't that clear, but it sounds like the first item in
the lot is four volumes of journals from the expedition the printed
material concerns, with mounted ephemera and about 50 pieces of
original artwork. I could see that attracting interest.

Old August 3rd 05, 03:44 PM
Evelyn Street

This just goes to show how much money some people have to throw around on
tattered old books. It's ridiculous and makes me laugh. I'm glad there are
so many fools out there who will spend exhorbitant amounts on the items I am
able to find and put up for sale.....lol

Old August 3rd 05, 08:06 PM
BobFinnan.com

fundoc sez:
Er, "teacher," next time your refer to people as "fools" try spelling the remaining words in the sentence correctly, lest you end up sounding like a mullethead.

Too late!

Old August 4th 05, 02:07 PM

I have an ex-lib in very poor shape of Wilson Tucker's The Lincoln
Hunters. What makes it collectible, in my mind at least, is that the
book is dedicated to the librarians of Wither's Public Library, and
that's where my copy is from.

Tucker is apparently still alive and living just a few blocks away from
me, but I've been unable get in contact with him to sign it. He's not
in the phone book, and emails have gone unanswered.

Old August 4th 05, 03:37 PM
Dorwin Black

I have a copy of William Morris' Earthly Paradise in 3 volumes ex-lib from
the Michigan Seminary Library. It is in very good condition, and the only
ex-lib indication is a bookplate on the front pastedown. Probably not
worth a whole lot, but it looks quite nice on the bookshelf.