Set of Dickens

Old July 31st 05, 05:52 PM
mbbbh

PS. Figured it out - who would have known it could be so simple? If
your other address is no longer valid, will send to jerry..............

Old July 31st 05, 07:34 PM
mbbbh

Very interesting! Do you of any that 'got out' and are still in
circulation? Is it possible none have survived? .

Old August 1st 05, 01:49 AM
Jerry Morris

Mary wrote:
Jerry,
Your full address doesn't show - Jerry and Lisa, Jerry and Lillian?? So,
I sent some pics to moibiblio.....@webtv. Beautiful site by the way.
Mary

Mary et all,

For some reason I couldn't upload Mary's photos directly to RCB.
Instead, I uploaded the best picture to one of my websites and included
an expanded view of the coat of arms below the description of the motto:
http://community-2.webtv.net/notjerr...lV/page10.html

If this is Avarit's coat of arms, I have a new theory concerning the
University Library Association.

I'm thinking that the University Library Association may have published
their books on a subscription basis. When they had 1000 subscribers,
they would publish an edition, in this case, a Bibliophile Edition of
the Works of Charles Dickens. Subscribers would have to put up either a
portion or all of the amount due prior to publication. Some editions
published by subscription would include the subscriber's name on either
the title page or on one of the preliminary pages. In Avarit's case,
they imprinted his coat of arms instead of just his name.

Anyone care to prove or disprove this theory?
I'll wait a few days and then post a query to the Exlibris list,
requesting their assistance.

....Jerry and Lisa? Jerry and Lillian? not Lisa... not Lillian.....I
settled for Jerry and Linda long ago......a happy man is Moi.

Jerry Morris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old August 1st 05, 03:39 AM
Barbara Bailey

On 31 Jul 2005 06:27:34 -0700, "mbbbh" wrote:

Jerry,

There is a coat of arms on the title page of the book. Nothing near the
end of the volumes. Interestingly enough, the editions aren't numbered.
So you don't know if its the 1st in 1000 or the 999th in a 1000. Maybe
that doesn't even matter?

I also wondered if University Library Association was just a name used
for publishing special editions. Its rather fascinating that we can't
find an answer for this. Perhaps the coat of arms is the key. (Not sure
either of my emails will allow uploading or attachments, but I'll try a
digital pic).

I'm coming across quite a number of books here that can't be found on
the web. Fun, but frustrating too. If you really enjoy a good mystery,
I'll list some more another time.

Mary

Mary,
I'm no help on the book, but if you can describe the coat of arms for
me, I'll see if there's anything I can scare up from that direction.

What are the two things in the top third of the shield, above the
stripe? (They look almost like quail's heads, facing away from each
other.) And what are the three things on the stripe; from the scan
they could be either covered cups or sheaves of grain. Finally, can
you make out the words on the chevron (the v-shaped ribbon)?

Barb

Old August 1st 05, 01:50 PM
Matthew Hill

In article ,
Barbara Bailey wrote:
[...]

Don't know that this is much help, but a Bernard Schapero catalogue on the
net has a 1830s publication by the University Library Association of
Philadelphia.

Matthew Hill
Old August 1st 05, 10:58 PM
mbbbh

Barb,

fortitudine et prudentia

they could be quail? they look a bit like giraffes too! the one on the
right has an extra marking on the neck. male and female, maybe?

on the left above fortitudine it looks like an indian symbol for an
eagle, on the right it looks like a cartoon character of a space alien
and the third symbol could be a chalice.

i'm beginning to think, jerry is correct. i haven't been able to
translate the words. probably a family coat of arms.

Old August 1st 05, 11:07 PM
mbbbh

Everything helps! Thanks!