Lincoln...Is that You?

Old April 19th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Lincoln...Is that You?

There is currently a Daguerreotype portrait of Young Abraham Lincoln on
Sale on eBay for $5,000,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daguerreotype-of... QcmdZViewItem

Or

www.lincolnportrait.com

Side by side comparision:

http://www.lincolnportrait.com/authenti.htm

I do not think for a second this is Lincoln. To my mind the upper lip
is completely different, The nose, The ears lower when they atrophy not
raise up.

Would be interested in your opinions.

Mark

Old April 19th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"b8tovene" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is currently a Daguerreotype portrait of Young Abraham Lincoln on
Sale on eBay for $5,000,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daguerreotype-of... QcmdZViewItem

Or

www.lincolnportrait.com

Side by side comparision:

http://www.lincolnportrait.com/authenti.htm

I do not think for a second this is Lincoln. To my mind the upper lip
is completely different, The nose, The ears lower when they atrophy not
raise up.

Would be interested in your opinions.

Mark

There have been several wannabe portraits of Lincoln that have come to light
in recent years. Smithsonian did an article on one of them, and even
Scientific American weighed in on the claims. If you think this one is
Lincoln for a picosecond, that's about a trillion times as long as I think
it is Lincoln.

Mr. Jaggers
'psst - wanna buy Lincoln's original axe?'

Old April 19th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

This daguerrotype has been talked about before in this group. It was up for
auction on Ebay in Nov 2002 also for $5 million. That's a steep price for
something of questionable provenance.

Actually, Abe is a distant cousin of mine about 22 levels removed. Maybe I
should have a deaguerrotype of him. But, $5 million is a little bit out of
my range.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

oups.com...

Old April 20th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I like that the $5,000,000 is a "reduced" price!

Old April 20th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In the early Lincoln, the ears do not rise above the leve of the eyes.
In
the later Lincoln, the ears clearly are higher than eye level. Until I
get
that resolved, I'm putting my checkbook back in the drawer.

Regards,
Tom