Your favorite eBay "coin peeve?"

Old June 19th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Your favorite eBay "coin peeve?"

I think my favorite eBay coin peeve is the failure of the seller to provide
photos of *both* sides of the coin. There are so many auctions out there
that show only the obverse view. Recently I ran across a Buffalo Nickel
auction, touted as a D over S mint mark, yet there was no photo of the
reverse. What is the seller thinking in such a case?

Your pet peeve of this type is _________?

Amistad
'something "gets to" all of us!'

Old June 19th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad" wrote in message
I think my favorite eBay coin peeve is the failure of the seller to provide
photos of *both* sides of the coin. There are so many auctions out there that
show only the obverse view. Recently I ran across a Buffalo Nickel auction,
touted as a D over S mint mark, yet there was no photo of the reverse. What is
the seller thinking in such a case?

Your pet peeve of this type is _________?

Amistad
'something "gets to" all of us!'

Sellers who advise looking at their photo(s) to "judge for yourself" and then
provide only distant, out-of-focus images. Also, many of these sellers
apparently don't even look at the photos they attach, calling a coin "perfect"
when undescribed dings or blemishes cry for acknowlegement or an explanation.

Bruce

Old June 19th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad" wrote in message
I think my favorite eBay coin peeve is the failure of the seller to provide
photos of *both* sides of the coin. There are so many auctions out there
that show only the obverse view. Recently I ran across a Buffalo Nickel
auction, touted as a D over S mint mark, yet there was no photo of the
reverse. What is the seller thinking in such a case?

Your pet peeve of this type is _________?

Amistad
'something "gets to" all of us!'

I'd have to say that my pet peeve is the same as yours, although last time I
took a strong stand on this issue in rcc I got my heinie chewed, but good.

Mr. Jaggers

Old June 19th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

Sellers who advise looking at their photo(s) to "judge for yourself" and
then provide only distant, out-of-focus images. Also, many of these
sellers apparently don't even look at the photos they attach, calling a
coin "perfect" when undescribed dings or blemishes cry for acknowlegement
or an explanation.

I am annoyed by sellers who hide behind a slab in their return policy.
"Since these are third party graded coins we can not accept returns". I
once got an MS67 Washington Quarter that was practically rotting the slab.
It wasn't toned it was corroded. You better believe I returned it.
Fortunately this seller did take returns.

Old June 19th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad" wrote in message
I think my favorite eBay coin peeve is the failure of the seller to provide
photos of *both* sides of the coin. There are so many auctions out there
that show only the obverse view. Recently I ran across a Buffalo Nickel
auction, touted as a D over S mint mark, yet there was no photo of the
reverse. What is the seller thinking in such a case?

Your pet peeve of this type is _________?

Amistad
'something "gets to" all of us!'

Not just coins but mine is live auctions clogging up the listings. I wish
they would move them to a separate area like they did with ebay motors.

Old June 19th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Amistad" wrote in
:

I think my favorite eBay coin peeve is the failure of the seller to
provide photos of *both* sides of the coin. There are so many
auctions out there that show only the obverse view. Recently I ran
across a Buffalo Nickel auction, touted as a D over S mint mark,
yet there was no photo of the reverse. What is the seller thinking
in such a case?

Your pet peeve of this type is _________?

Amistad
'something "gets to" all of us!'

My pet peeve is when I put up for sale a 1964 NGC MS-66 Roosie, and it
gets only two bids, and I have to let it go for $1.75! Just did that.
Or, the last auction round, I had two PCGS MS-66 Lincolns sell for $0.99
each - only one bidder.

As a bidder, I have the same pet peeve as you, Amistad. I will not bid
on a coin unless I can get a picture of both sides of the coin.
Likewise, I want to see both sides of the full slab, if the coin is in a
slab. I want to see the slab number. I want to see if there are any
cracks in the slab. I want to see if the slab has taken on any
discoloration, or is excessively scratched.

In addition to that, I want to see large, clear pictures! I can't stand
seeing a round, fuzzy disk with no visible details. Yet, seller after
seller thinks it's ok to show really crappy pics of their coins, and
then have the audacity (or ignorance) to say, 'check out my pics and
grade for yourself'!

If I'm truly interested in obtaining a coin of that year/MM, I will
email the Seller, and request additional pictures - large, close-up,
clear pictures of both sides of the coin and of the entire slab.
Sometimes, you can pick up a deal, just because you are the only one who
gets decent pics of both sides of the coin! That, I don't mind at all!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old June 19th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:15:22 GMT, Amistad wrote:
I think my favorite eBay coin peeve is the failure of the seller to provide
photos of *both* sides of the coin. There are so many auctions out there
that show only the obverse view. Recently I ran across a Buffalo Nickel
auction, touted as a D over S mint mark, yet there was no photo of the
reverse. What is the seller thinking in such a case?

Or, the piture is a 120x120 jpg with so much compresion as to be
unreadable.

Your pet peeve of this type is _________?

Red & blue text in an ad. Fuzzy pictures. Terms and conditions longer
than the description of the coin. Bad feedback (install the "ebaynegs"
plugin to firefox, to use toolhaus to see their _real_ feedback
history). Animated graphics in the ad. The word "estate" anywhere.

Big peeve is counterfeit coins and eBay not letting me report them until
I buy them, like the "1906 trade dollars" out there from China (imagine
that) that are either photoshopped or modified, Silver Eagle 1oz bullion
coins. I say "coins" but all the auctions are for the same one based on
the images.

From sellers, communications. Tell me you got the payment. Tell me
you're shipping the coin. From buyers, communications. Tell me you'll
pay me, tell me you've sent the payment, tell me you got the coin. 5
seconds per milestone isn't too much to expect. "Hi, got your money
order, the coin goes out in the morning" is fine, you don't need a book.

Old June 19th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 19 Jun 2006 14:42:24 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

My pet peeve is when I put up for sale a 1964 NGC MS-66 Roosie, and it
gets only two bids, and I have to let it go for $1.75! Just did that.

dammit. That's one of your last batch I didn't bid on. It's not my
"thing" but hell, I could've thrown 5 bucks on it so you didn't get
skunked.

Old June 19th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

EXCESSIVE SHIPPING CHARGES

way above actual shipping cost and even adding a few $ for "handling"

ebay compromised note.boy Coins 37 June 19th 06 01:54 PM
CHICAGO SPORTS & MORE eBay Memorabilia store Santo L Baseball 0 March 4th 06 12:53 PM
CHARLIE NUDO AKA 66FOURDOOR: EBAY CROOK DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 16 October 24th 05 02:02 PM
Laughable Ebay scam email. Here's what I got Sue H Autographs 3 July 24th 05 09:11 PM
eBay listing and reserve fees to skyrocket Feb. 1 Ira Stein Coins 16 January 7th 04 12:45 AM