Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

Old March 20th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
39Steps

Default Ebay - Yet Another Pet Peeve

Notice how some stupid sellers set a ridiculously high start bid?

And then they wonder why they absolutely no bids!!

Time for some more pet peeves abou Ebay, what?
Old March 21st 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
John Mycroft[_2_]

That doesn't worry me at all - shows their ignorance. Maybe they have taken 100 common stamps, looked em up in Scott, see they
catalog at $30 and assume that $10 is a reasonable start bid. The ones who annoy me are the ones who give a start bid of $1 but
then set a $50 reserve. I wish ebay had a way to exclude unfavourite sellers from every search without my having to set it up for
every search I do. I'd also like to exclude all lots that say RARE!!! and L@@K!!!

Come to think of it, if you start a junk lot at $100 and some idiot bids for it then you've done OK for yourself. And, if nobody
does, then you've blown a listing fee and may learn your lesson.
Old March 21st 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
39Steps

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 09:34:27 -0400, John Mycroft
wrote:

That doesn't worry me at all - shows their ignorance. Maybe they have taken 100 common stamps, looked em up in Scott, see they
catalog at $30 and assume that $10 is a reasonable start bid. The ones who annoy me are the ones who give a start bid of $1 but
then set a $50 reserve. I wish ebay had a way to exclude unfavourite sellers from every search without my having to set it up for
every search I do.

HOW are you able to filter unfavourable sellers on EbaY?
This is a great idea.

Old March 22nd 08, 08:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:04:12 +0000, 39Steps wrote:
HOW are you able to filter unfavourable sellers on EbaY? This is a great
idea.

I'd also like to exclude all lots that say RARE!!! and L@@K!!!

You can exclude words, as Mr. Mycroft mentioned, by using eBay search
operators: a fairly advanced example would be

("1d red","penny red") imperf* -"L@@K" -"RARE"

That would find everything listed as a "penny red" or "1d
red" (synonymous, which is when you use the parentheses with commas -- it
will match one or more of those terms); only imperforate issues
(regardless of the word ending, so, e.g., would match "imperf",
"imperf.", "imperforate", "imperforated"); and hyphens (negation) before
the words you don't want to show up, in this case "L@@K" and "RARE".

You might go one better and write:

("1d red*","penny red*") imperf* -"L@@K" -"RARE"

.... in case the listing's title is "Lot of 42 imperforate GB Penny Reds"
or something -- those asterisks will catch the plurals.

If Mr. Mycroft knows a way to blacklist *specific* *sellers*, however, I
hope he will share with the rest of the class.

--
Joshua McGee
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old March 27th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,discuss,rec.collecting.stamps
39Steps

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:54:01 GMT, Joshua McGee
wrote:
[...]

Very good point - how to filter sellers so they do not show in Ebay lists?