Gold prices plummet!

Old September 25th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default Gold prices plummet!

On Sep 24, 8:57*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:25 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 5:10 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:57 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:00 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:47 pm, "The Giant Brain"
wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

"j-rod" wrote in message

September 24, 1869

Gold prices plummet

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...rticle&id=6117

JAM

Hello

The good news is crude oil also dropped.

You can check the spot trade price on Bloomberg at the
links below. It is now showing at $998.70.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/com.../cfutures.html

Folks, we have a contender for most clueless response to a
post. Shall we close the nominations now and all acclaim
Arizona Coin Collector the
winner?- Hide quoted text -

Well, it's the stupidest RCC response since the "Giant Brain"
expounded with ultimate authority that that nice 1841 British
Gold Sovereign was worth melt, or about $225 - not the 8,000
pounds that it catalogs at.

So it's the stupidest response in about three weeks.

All this argument is meaningless to me, having just lost my
entire nest egg due to this latest gold crash. This could be
my last post, because I can see someone pounding at my front
door, yelling something about how he's going to repo my
computer, and he's got a U.S. Marshal with him.

James the Homeless- Hide quoted text -

Jay Gould survived the 1869 debacle for many many years - and
died rather old and still rich.

You will too, mon vieux.

They don't repo computers. Used computer is worth three cents
on the dollar to the finance company. They will harass you for
the money to the fullest extent they can get away with - but
remember, they don't want the computer back, ever.

Whew, it was just a couple of my neighbors from down the street
pulling a prank. Now I can get back to my Scrooge McDuck
roleplay.

James the Miser- Hide quoted text -

Scrooge McDuck had his money bin full of both gold and
greenbacks. Wouldn't a real dyed-in-the-wool miser have had only
gold???

He uses the gold to fill the tub for his bath. The greenbacks are
carried to leave a dollar tip for waiters.

James the Stiff- Hide quoted text -

Scrooge is a Scotsman!!! NO WAY would he be leaving a whole dollar
for the waiters!!!

Hughey, Dewey and Louie were lucky to get a quarter apiece from the
old fart on their birthdays!!!

oly

Some 19th century American miser (I believe the fellow might have
been a lawyer too) issued a token (or something exo-numismatic)
that said "Never Trust a Paper Dollar Until Tommorrow".

That vieux canard (some would say connard) écossais learned his
lesson the hard way when Daisy deep-sixed the old flatulence for
tipping a quarter one time at Maxim's. Ever since then he's been
gazing from afar while his lady love cavorts with his no-good
nephew Donald.

James the Cartoonist

I trust that this is an accurate recitation of the event and not
some foul quackery in the form of a canard canard?

- mazorj
"Cognates and puns conflated while you wait."- Hide quoted text -

It's pretty difficult to catch James mistaking something factual from
the history of Paris - if it happened at Maxim's, he's probably "right
on the money".

Normally, though, what happens at Maxim's stays at Maxim's.

James, 3, Rue Royale- Hide quoted text -

I'd like to respond en francais, but my verbs seem hopeless tonight.
I've had the pleasure of strolling by the terrasse of Maxim's on
several occasions, but feel that the joint is beyond my pocketbook.
It pleases me to think of Scrooge and Daisy eating there, however.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

For at least a period of time, admittance was by recognition only. You had
to be a regular, and getting a window seat, well, another matter entirely,
to be negotiated with the maitre d'.

Absent that talent, there's always the Tour d'Argent.

James the Palmgreaser

Old September 25th 09, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com....

"j-rod" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

James the Palmgreaser- Hide quoted text -

The old saw that I've heard time and time again is that it is cheaper
to eat money than to dine at la Tour d'Argent. Francs and euros
probably aren't nearly as tasty as the pressed duck, however.

Is it O.K. to run one's bread through the famous Tour d'Arent duck
sauce??? My manners are not the best, but then I go to the restuarant
to dine, not to be seen.

Now, I suppose if Scrooge and Daisy had eaten there, they might be
accused of cannibalism.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

"j-rod" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

What was the name of the place where Hemingway had his famous potato
salad(s) and beer(s) after Sylvia Beach gave him the newspaper money
from Germany???

There, I've always heard that you can always get seated upstairs, but
you've got to be a real somebody in the French Pantheon to get a seat
at a table on the main floor. Even some big-shots of the English
speaking world can't sit at a table on the first floor.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

"j-rod" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

En Voila!!!

http://www.brasserie-lipp.com/

Ain't the internet wonderful???

You can also read the pertinent sections of "A Moveable Feast" for
free too.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:53:02 -0700 (PDT), oly wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:47*pm, "The Giant Brain" wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

Folks, we have a contender for most clueless response to a post.
Shall we close the nominations now and all acclaim Arizona Coin Collector the
winner?- Hide quoted text -

Well, it's the stupidest RCC response since the "Giant Brain"
expounded with ultimate authority that that nice 1841 British Gold
Sovereign was worth melt, or about $225 - not the 8,000 pounds that it
catalogs at.

So it's the stupidest response in about three weeks.

I must say--well played!

take care,
Scott
Old September 25th 09, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

oly wrote:

wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

"j-rod" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Merde!!! Zut!!!

Those devious Suissies pulled one over on me. Try this link instead
for France:

http://www.ila-chateau.com/lipp/

While I've never wanted to go to Geneva, the first restaurant almost
looked like a good enough reason to go, all by itself.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

In most of the depictions that I remember, he mostly had coins.
Mountainous
piles of them, loose and in bags. In one comic book episode the vault was
almost overflowing with 1916 SLQs. In an interesting nod to numismatics,
Scrooge had almost finished cornering the market on them and was ecstatic
at
his coup. I was delighted to see that a comic book character even knew
about the scarcity of the 1916 SLQ, to which a 9-year-old could only
aspire
and dream about.- Hide quoted text -

Indeed, the 1916 SLQ to which 50 year-olds can mostly only aspire to and
dream about...

But still, did Scrooge pay a premium for them??? It would have been most
out of his Scotch character...

As in any fiction, the reader (even a 9-year-old) has to agree to a certain
amount of willing suspension of disbelief. (Not the least of which is to
accept the fact that all cartoon characters only have 3 fingers.) Even at
9, because of the obvious relationships between mintages and most Red Book
prices, I instinctively understood the effect of supply on pricing. As I
recall, Unca Scrooge did it very quickly before anyone noticed that they
were disappearing from trade channels. (Much like Disney did later, buying
up farms and swamps in central Florida through dummy corporations to avoid
the sudden price jump that would have occurred if the remaining sellers had
gotten wind of some planned Disney World project.) So my willing suspension
of belief was to assume that anyone with his enormous wealth could afford to
part with a little of it to scoop up the relatively small supply of 1916
SQLs using methods that were quick and quiet. In fact, IIRC, the episode
revolved around his efforts to get the very last one in existence outside
his vault. This being what it was, of course he ended up getting his
come-uppance in some manner that escapes me now, but it undoubtedly involved
Donald and/or his three nephews.

And yes, the silly goose inventor was Gyro Screwloose.

- mazorj, erstwhile Disney comic bookworm

Old September 25th 09, 08:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

I would have expected Unca Scrooge to follow the practice of one of his
proto-archetypes. John D. Rockefeller was famous for tipping everyone for
every service with a "nice shiny new dime". Unless it was an 1894-O Barber
or a lesser key date, even after allowing for inflation (a dime then being
worth what, maybe $1.50 - $2.00 in today's CPI-indexed dollars?), a solitary
dime was a pretty chintzy tip for anyone of substance to have given then,
let alone a multi-millionaire captain of industry.

So allowing for inflation from Rockefeller's time to the 1950-ish Disney
comic that you cited, McDuck's quarter at most was roughly the same as
Rockefeller's dime, if that much. So you're absolutely right - no way would
Unca Scrooge have left that kind of money (a whole buck!) on the table, even
to impress Miss Daisy. The relationship was doomed from the start. :-)

As a final added observation about changing times and mores: There's no way
that today's PC Police would permit a Disney comic book to exhibit the
"offensive ethnic stereotyping" of people of the Scottish persuasion as
"cheap and miserly". If Scrooge McDuck were created today, he'd have to be
an evil white male CEO capitalist exploiter with a name something like
"Gordon McGekko" or "Birdie Madoff" in order to please the PC nannies. His
money vault would be on an off-shore island and the plots would alternate
between dodging IRS tax agents, and selling toxic assets to widows and
minorities.

Old September 25th 09, 11:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

minorities.- Hide quoted text -

The PC police would not want to see gold and silver portrayed as
money, which Scrooge McDuck certainly knows that they are in reality.
The PTB want people to think that printed paper is "money" and to
forget about gold and silver.

I am also fairly certain that 85%+ of the American people could not
readily identify "Scotland" (or Wales or Ireland) as a distinct place
on a map. I only give England more "visibility" because one hell of a
lot of American women seem to know where Harrods is located. Nor
could most Americans identify Andrew Carnegie (perhaps the prototype
of Scrooge McDuck) or John D. Rockefeller Sr. as historical
individuals.

oly