found in junk silver 1693 THALER?

Old February 18th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

Default found in junk silver 1693 THALER?

So far what I think I have is:
1693 2/3 thaler with a small b (mint mark)
one side:
henneber gensis*D.G.DUCUM Saxonie Moneta Communis
globe with a hat All text very legible
other side:
1693 2/3 thaler with a small b (mint mark)
rooster with hat and one leg raised
text also around the edge and also legible

diameter in inches: about 1 7/16th's

Contemplating puttting on ebay....suggest a title so it is findable.
Make an offer?

I also assume it is silver

Will gladly email large JPG ( 5 or 10 meg) of both sides upon request

Howard

Old February 18th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

howard wrote:
So far what I think I have is:
1693 2/3 thaler with a small b (mint mark)
one side:
henneber gensis*D.G.DUCUM Saxonie Moneta Communis
globe with a hat All text very legible
other side:
1693 2/3 thaler with a small b (mint mark)
rooster with hat and one leg raised
text also around the edge and also legible

diameter in inches: about 1 7/16th's

Contemplating puttting on ebay....suggest a title so it is findable.
Make an offer?

I also assume it is silver

Will gladly email large JPG ( 5 or 10 meg) of both sides upon request

Howard

I'd verify that it is authentic before I took another step. Such material
is a prime target for today's Chinese counterfeiters. You might as well
figure that anything old, big, and silver is to be suspected.

James

Old February 18th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

Default found in junk silver 1693 THALER? more

It has some definate wear on the high parts and is thin.
I have a gram kitchen scale: about 16 grams
about .5 ounce switching back and forth between both choices.
It also seems to be "stamped" a bit off center

I have been to Hong Kong a few times and have seen sleeves of 8 rare coins,
and they looked way too perfect and uniform in color.

Advice on how to determine if it real would be appreciated.

Old February 18th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

howard wrote:
It has some definate wear on the high parts and is thin.
I have a gram kitchen scale: about 16 grams
about .5 ounce switching back and forth between both choices.
It also seems to be "stamped" a bit off center

I have been to Hong Kong a few times and have seen sleeves of 8 rare
coins, and they looked way too perfect and uniform in color.

Advice on how to determine if it real would be appreciated.

If the coin has a cleaned or greasy look to it, that is a bad sign, as the
first wave or two of Chinese counterfeits showed those features. The more
recent ones are dangerously more deceptive. Depending on where you live,
there may be a world coin dealer in your parts who can have a look. But the
state of the art has become so advanced that you may have to submit your
coin to a slabber for the final word. That is not a cheap proposition, so
you'll have to weigh the options. Under no other circumstances, though,
could I in good faith recommend that you try to sell it online.

James

Old February 18th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

appreciate your input

Old February 19th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

[Posted AND emailed]

In , on 02/18/2009
at 02:00 PM, "howard" fishfeeder@gmail(dot)com said:

Contemplating puttting on ebay....suggest a title so it is findable. Make
an offer?

I also assume it is silver

Will gladly email large JPG ( 5 or 10 meg) of both sides upon request

For fun, I had asked for pictures. First thing I noticed was the "2/3"
marked on the coin. Hearing the approximate size and weight of the coin, I
had figured it wasn't a full Taler.

Looking at the pics, I was thrown off by what I thought was clearly a
"SAXONIA/E" legend, but failing to find it there, I searched around for
other potential states/cities (using Krause's German Coins catalog).

I took the liberty of cropping and sizing the images smaller and putting
them on my web site. They may not be there permanently . Here they a

http://www.mr2ice.com/coins/two-thirds-taler-1.jpg
http://www.mr2ice.com/coins/two-thirds-taler-2.jpg

Looks to me like it's a Henneberg-Ilmenau 2/3 Taler - KM 10. Krause prices
run 30-65-120-200 for VG-F-VF-XF. I would certainly position this one on
the lower end of the scale. A search of eBay with some of this info might
find similar pieces. I can't say if this is genuine or bogus, but it seems
like it would be a waste of time to make a modern-day fake ... to me at
least.

Hope that helps,

Nick
Old February 19th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 02/18/2009
at 11:45 PM, "Nick Knight" said:

Looks to me like it's a Henneberg-Ilmenau 2/3 Taler - KM 10. Krause prices
run 30-65-120-200 for VG-F-VF-XF. I would certainly position this one on
the lower end of the scale. A search of eBay with some of this info might

Forgot to point out what looks to be a mark (repaired/filled?) from an old
mount at the top of the rooster(?) side. Not terrible, but not a positive,
either.

Nick
Old February 19th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
howard

Default THALER :NICK

many thanks for your time and expertise.

I agree about the "value" of counterfeiting a coin that may never have
enough value to
be worth the time and effort.

I have a "funny" WL half, that sure sounds like lead to me..........
once again?????why?????

thanks

Howard

Old February 19th 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

howard wrote:
many thanks for your time and expertise.

I agree about the "value" of counterfeiting a coin that may never have
enough value to
be worth the time and effort.

I have a "funny" WL half, that sure sounds like lead to me..........
once again?????why?????

thanks

Bust halves, seated halves, Barber halves, walkers, even the occasional
nickel or dime have been counterfeited. The 1943 "plain" nickel comes to
mind. Some of it is done to deceive, some of it is done to see if it can be
done, and some of it is done because hands are idle.

There are many historic coins that have been purposely faked in lower
grades, to make them less susceptible to suspicion. Good enough reason?

James

Old February 20th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
howard wrote:
many thanks for your time and expertise.

I agree about the "value" of counterfeiting a coin that may never
have enough value to
be worth the time and effort.

I have a "funny" WL half, that sure sounds like lead to me..........
once again?????why?????

thanks

Bust halves, seated halves, Barber halves, walkers, even the
occasional nickel or dime have been counterfeited. The 1943 "plain"
nickel comes to mind. Some of it is done to deceive, some of it is
done to see if it can be done, and some of it is done because hands
are idle.
There are many historic coins that have been purposely faked in lower
grades, to make them less susceptible to suspicion. Good enough
reason?

Or was it a 1944 plain? One of those silver nickel dates.

James