Gold & Silver Prices

Old May 24th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Gold & Silver Prices

How much do the silver & gold American Eagles asking price change with
the price of the metal? I see mid 90’s silver eagles in the original
box with certificate going for around $35, if silver dropped does the
asking price for the coin come down?
In other words, if gold goes down $300, will the price of modern gold
coins go down $300?
Old May 24th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 23, 10:23*pm, wrote:
How much do the silver & gold American Eagles asking price change with
the price of the metal? *I see mid 90’s silver eagles in the original
box with certificate going for around $35, if silver dropped does the
asking price for the coin come down?
In other words, if gold goes down $300, will the price of modern gold
coins go down $300?

Not in this industry, but think about it, what can gold and silver do
in the rather dim future that can't be done with cash in your hands
right now? It's one thing to admire it, but have you tried to sell off
any bullion lately?

It's like pulling gold teeth, unless it's of considerable quantity for
spot value or less. Otherwise you're stuck with what you've got in
hopes of a fair private sale. Just think of what it will be like when
you and 40 million other "savvy investors" find out that future return
never had anything to do with the price they paid to secure one.

I mean, "dying of hunger with a gold bar in his hands" ain't so
farfetched an idea when the bread is worth more.
Old May 24th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On May 24, 6:10*am, wrote:
On May 23, 10:23*pm, wrote:

[...]

You are describing aspects of a person to person negotiation. That is
one typical situation. It is also reasonable to consider a wider
market (e.g., eBay). Even there, the chance exists to sell for less
than the melt price. There are also some fees and commisions payable
to eBay.

I tend to follow gouden tientjes from the 19th century. I have,
previously, been able to buy a few below the gold price. Lately, the
presentations seem better and the prices a bit more than melt. What
was, will be again.

How any transaction turns out has a lot to do with the attitudes of
the participants. If the buye believes it is his chance to get the
last remaining silver eagle for $35 (only 2x the price of silver), who
could stand in his way? If he believes another chance might present
itself, well...
Old May 25th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Thanks. The reason I was asking is i would like to build a nice
collection of gold eagles for the coins, not the gold resale. One day
gold will come down in price, this year, next or five years, which
ever. I was wondering would it be worth it to wait to start picking
up the 2001's, 2002's, ect. or do you think if gold droped, they would
retain their current value (every thing else staying the same)?
Old May 26th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On May 23, 11:23*pm, wrote:
How much do the silver & gold American Eagles asking price change with
the price of the metal? *I see mid 90’s silver eagles in the original
box with certificate going for around $35, if silver dropped does the
asking price for the coin come down?
In other words, if gold goes down $300, will the price of modern gold
coins go down $300?

If I was to pick a Gold Eagle that would retain its value should the
price of gold drop, it would be the error 1999W Burnished Die
Uncirculated $5 1/10 Oz. coin

From Coinfacts.com:
1999-W 5 DOLLARS
GOLD BULLION COINS - Unfinished Dies
PCGS No: 99940

Mintage: Unknown (estimated 1,000)

Notes:
In 1999, the Mint at West Point, New York accidentally produced what
may become one of the most important rarities of the 20th Century by
striking a limited quantity of Uncirculated 1/10 ounce American Eagle
gold coins with the "W" mintmark below the date. Normally, the
mintmark appears only on Proof versions. However, in this case, the
dies never received the special polishing that gives Proof coins their
deep, mirror-like qualities. No one knows exactly how many were
struck, but experts estimate that only 500-1000 examples have been
found since the mistake was first discovered in 2000.

How did the Unfinished Die 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coin come
about? The answer comes from examining how the Proof versions are
created. Proof coins are struck on special, high-quality presses
using specially prepared blanks (planchets) and specially prepared
dies. The emphasis is on quality over quantity and the goal is a coin
with bright, mirror-like fields surrounding frosty design elements,
thus creating what is known as a "cameo" effect. Special care is
taken throughout the process to ensure that the final product (the
coin) is as perfect as possible. This special care automatically
limits production -- in 1999, the Mint at West Point produced only
19,919 Proof 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins.

On the other hand, the production of Uncirculated examples focuses
more on quantity than quality (although the final coin is still
impressive enough). The number of coins produced is limited only by
the availability of gold bullion, by estimated demand for the coins,
and by other production priorities -- in 1999, the Mint at West Point
produced 2,750,338 Uncirculated 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins.

Using the numbers just listed, we see that more than 138 Uncirculated
coins were produced for every Proof example, highlighting the
relationship between quality and quantity.

Great care is taken to segregate the Proof production area and all of
the materials used in it. The fact that a die originally marked for
use in the production of Proof coins somehow made it into a press used
to strike Uncirculated coins is simply amazing. Proof dies are
carefully accounted for...how did this one escape? Press operators
carefully scrutinize the dies before they are placed in the
presses...how did the operator miss the mintmark on this one? Random
coins from production runs are examined for quality control...how did
they miss the mintmark? The very existence of the Unfinished Die 1/4
ounce American Eagle gold coins seems to have required several lapses
in quality control.

How rare will Unfinished Die 1/10 ounce American Eagle gold coins turn
out to be? A lot depends on how quickly the error was discovered at
the Mint and how many actually escaped. Did the press operator notice
the mintmark and stop the run? If the error was discovered, was an
attempt made to recover and destroy the coins that had already been
minted? Even if we knew the answers to these questions, we may never
know the exact number of Unfinished Die coins that were struck. But,
we do know that after a year of intense searching for these rarities,
surprisingly few have shown up.

What are they worth? Recent sales have occurred in the $500-1,000
range. If the rarity holds, these coins have every chance of being as
valuable as the much more common 1995-W Proof $1 Silver Eagle
(currently priced at $3,200 in Proof-69).

Old May 26th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Shane

wrote in message
One day
gold will come down in price, this year, next or five years, which ever.

I was wondering would it be worth it to wait to start picking up the
2001's, 2002's

Gold will never come down in price ever again. Who have you been listening
to? Bushbots?

Old May 27th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Gold will never come down in price ever again. *Who have you been listening
to? *Bushbots?

This comment is to easy, who wants to go first?

Gold Coin Auctions - Buy Gold Coins - Best Values, Lowest Prices RPMWW Coins 0 May 2nd 08 04:30 AM
OT- silver prices (but not coins) Barbara[_2_] Coins 11 November 11th 07 01:19 PM
What's the deal with silver prices? Eric Babula Coins 14 May 23rd 06 12:38 PM
Silver prices? randy bois Coins 0 December 8th 04 11:59 AM
A speculation about (not in) silver prices Michael E. Marotta Coins 1 April 8th 04 06:42 PM