Long Beach Report June 06

Old June 5th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Long Beach Report June 06

We left St George, UT at 6:00am in a fully loaded and fueled Ford Excursion
(the BIG 4WD type). Six and one half hours later we arrived in Long Beach,
noting the instruments, we got 19.2 mpg. Not bad for a HUGE vehicle.

Set up started at 2pm, and we were immediately set upon by dealers who
wanted to look at everything we had. We sold hundreds of MS60-63 raw Morgan
Dollars, a lot of type coins and a good chunk of our higher end stuff. As
we do more and more shows, we're developing a nice following with some
dealers. It is amazing to me the attitude of some dealers. There are
always one or two dealers that look at a coin, ask how much, then throw it
back and say something like, "I only pay bid, take it or leave it". To
which I reply, "Thank you for coming by. Who can I help next?"

I met up with a few RCC'ers, but it seemed when anyone came by, we were
swamped. I did meet up with Ira about 4-5 times. I sold him a coin (I
think it was a mint state 3 cent silver), and bought a 1909 S vdb from him.
If you want to know the story on the 09 s vdb, you'll have to pry it out of
him, as I promised not to tell..... He let me hold a 1916 D Mercury, PCGS
MS66FB. A definite "WOW" coin.

Thursday and Friday we were pretty swamped. The few slow moments we had
were taken up by other dealers complaining how slow the show was. I
couldn't help but think that if they stayed at there tables, and were
pleasant to people, they might do better. I bought a Lincoln set and a few
CC Dollars, but nothing of any great interest.

Saturday was a little slow, which was ok because by Friday night we had
already sold what I hoped we would sell for the whole show. One coin that
was offered to us was a Hawaiian Commemorative, with GREAT rainbow toning in
a NGC 68* slab. Stunning, but too much money.

We were able to start breaking down about 4pm and we were on the road at
5pm. Arrived back in St George about 1am.

Old June 5th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks for the nice report. I really like your posts. I always look
forward to a "what came into the shop" story.
Maybe we can get Ira to tell us about that 1909 s vdb!
Bruce

Old June 5th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Bruce Farley wrote:

Thanks for the nice report. I really like your posts. I always look
forward to a "what came into the shop" story.
Maybe we can get Ira to tell us about that 1909 s vdb!

It was the worst I ever saw and the worst Wes had ever seen. Wes has
been "seeding" 5000 coin bags of wheaties so his young son can go
through them and have the thrill of a find. The only one missing from
the boy's set now is a 1909-S VDB. He didn't want to spend $500 or more
for a Good even if one were available! So many were pulled out of
circulation early that finding one below VF is a challenge and I've
only seen one Good in my entire cafreer. Wes wanted a miserable one on
the cheap so I located a buried coin which the finder had brightened up
with steel wool! Wes will darken it and his son will be delighted with
his new find. Wes can tell you what he paid. Same as what I paid.

Ira

Old June 5th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wes Chormicle wrote:
We left St George, UT at 6:00am in a fully loaded and fueled Ford Excursion
(the BIG 4WD type). Six and one half hours later we arrived in Long Beach,
noting the instruments, we got 19.2 mpg. Not bad for a HUGE vehicle.

Hey Wes,

I really enjoy reading your posts, and about how you do business.

Do you ever make it up to the Sf bay area for the Santa Clara show? I am
primarily an ancients guy, but am getting into Morgans.

We have all heard the stories about newbies and rude dealers, and most
of my experiences with them have not been that great.

But, I would love to meet you and check out your coins!

Paulbill

Old June 5th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Truly this is by far the worst 1909 S VDB I have ever seen. I'll post a
picture today so you can see it. I'll give it an ultrasonic bath, clean it,
then recolor it. I guess I'll have to do before and after pictures.

The price?? $150. I was joking with Ira that this is not your normal "Ira"
coin!

Wes

Old June 5th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default link to 09 s vdb *WARNING*

WARNING. The picture you are about to view may be disturbing to some
viewers.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5...svdb0017hj.jpg

Old June 5th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Hi Ira and Wes:

What a cool story that was, about the 09 s vdb (and the other stuff,
too).

Thanks for sharing.

John

Old June 5th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
ink.net:

WARNING. The picture you are about to view may be disturbing to
some viewers.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5...svdb0017hj.jpg

Hell, I'd be proud to own a 1909-S vdb as nice as that one!

Got none here.

Great story, Wes and Ira! Wes, I wanna know what your son's reaction is,
when he finds this one in one of those bags!

I'm jealous - he has a better Wheatie collection than I do!

Oh, well, I have a better Morgan collection than he does. Or, I hope I
do - never know with Wes as his dad!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Current auctions by mystr-e:
http://tinyurl.com/6tyal

Old June 5th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wes Chormicle wrote:
WARNING. The picture you are about to view may be disturbing to some
viewers.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/5...svdb0017hj.jpg

Now THAT is a coin with character, albeit a tad bit crusty. I think
actually finding that in a drawer somewhere (or maybe a tackle box)
would be a cool wave of "what if" emotions that would approach finding a
more valuable sibling. Less greed involved in the end.

--
JMark