parker pen on a string -- anyone recognises??

Old December 3rd 05, 11:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default parker pen on a string -- anyone recognises??

Hello:

I'm trying to identify (and eventually obtain) a parker pen that used
to be popular during the 80's. It was an ordinary ballpoint pen that
was inserted into a pear-shaped holder that had a string pass through
it. This pen was very popular among clerical staff or librarians,
because the pen, hanging from their neck, was always available for use.

What was the name of this model?
Is it still available?
Are there similar pens-on-strings by other companies?

Thanks,

Mayer )

Old December 3rd 05, 11:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Mayer" wrote:

I'm trying to identify (and eventually obtain) a parker pen that
used to be popular during the 80's. It was an ordinary ballpoint
pen that was inserted into a pear-shaped holder that had a
string pass through it. [...]

What was the name of this model?

The Swinger? Look near the bottom of this page:

http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_parker.htm

Is it still available?

I don't know, but I doubt it - except used, as the one above.

Are there similar pens-on-strings by other companies?

The Sheaffer Tagalong.

http://www.sheaffer.com/instruments/popular_price/tagalong.shtml

The Ergo.

http://thewritersedge.com/ergo.main.cfm

You'll turn up others if you search Google for "pen on a string" or
"pen on a cord" OR "pen on a rope".

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old December 4th 05, 12:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

https://www.kingpen.net has Parker "Slingers" for $4.50 ea.

Gordon

Old December 4th 05, 01:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Virtual Gordon" wrote:

https://www.kingpen.net has Parker "Slingers" for $4.50 ea.

Ah, Slinger, and not Swinger. I wonder if they used to be called the
Swinger, or if Pendemonium just made a mistake.

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old December 4th 05, 02:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Mayer" writes:

Are there similar pens-on-strings by other companies?

Herlitz Tornado:

http://people.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/writing/herlitz/
http://www.herlitz.de/

Okay, it is really not on string but rather on some kind of tape.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Pahat enteet hiljaisuuden kaiken täyttää. Niin tuskaisen läsnä joka hetki,
Old December 4th 05, 03:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Parker did, at first, call it the "Swinger", but later changed the name to
"Slinger".

Gordon