Modern subwoofers in Seeburg STD160?

Old November 18th 05, 03:41 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Default Modern subwoofers in Seeburg STD160?

I have a set of nice Audiobahn subwoofers and was thinking of installing
them in place of the STD160's aging 12" speakers. Will this work or will
the ohms (or anything) be a factor - I don't want to fry my amp! I was
thinking they might overpower the horns...
Old November 18th 05, 05:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Those jukeboxes never had subwoofers. They only had ordinary woofers.

Old November 19th 05, 02:55 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Barnhart Pinball wrote:
I have a set of nice Audiobahn subwoofers and was thinking of installing
them in place of the STD160's aging 12" speakers. Will this work or will
the ohms (or anything) be a factor - I don't want to fry my amp! I was
thinking they might overpower the horns...

Just my nickel's worth - I tried something similar, where I replaced
the two 12" speakers in a Seeburg Q with woofers rescued from a
Magnavox console - the bass was quite impressive but I was disappointed
with the overall sound. So I swapped them back.

Personally, I would stick with the original speakers. Jukeboxes were
engineered for good sound, and those enginers knew their stuff.

Old November 19th 05, 04:22 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

i also agree

i have an sps160 "olympian" '72 if the speakers are ripped then find
original replacements or get them reconed these speakers were tuned for
the cabinet and amp used if you would like to use an external sub (self
powered only others may strain the amp) connect to the lowest wattage tap on
the amp so there is no strain on the shp amp that is in these boxes

jim w

"Record Hound" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 24th 05, 05:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

I have speakers 70 years old that sound like new.
Unless the speakers are damaged in some way, I doubt you can improve on the
original design. Seeburg did not use lousy speakers.

Ken D.

.. .

Old November 28th 05, 06:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes

Barnhart Pinball wrote in
:

I have a set of nice Audiobahn subwoofers and was thinking of installing
them in place of the STD160's aging 12" speakers. Will this work or will
the ohms (or anything) be a factor - I don't want to fry my amp! I was
thinking they might overpower the horns...

Appreciate the answers! Yes, my machine has good sound - but was thinking
of doing an "upgrade". Well, I guess I could sell the subs to one of the
kids down the street...