Help with identifying what I think is a Chinese banknote...?

Old November 5th 04, 02:52 AM
lark22

Default Help with identifying what I think is a Chinese banknote...?

I have a scan of what I think is a Chinese banknote; it was given to
me by my father-in-law along with a bunch of yuan notes I recognize
from other examples online. But this one says "10000" in dark blue
ink, no mention of yuan on either side, but doesn't seem like fake
money. I can email a scan of the bill if anyone thinks they can help
me identify it. I have a trip to Beijing coming up in two weeks.

Thanks!
Old November 5th 04, 06:37 AM
Tim McDaniel

In article ,
lark22 wrote:
I have a scan of what I think is a Chinese banknote; it was given to
me by my father-in-law along with a bunch of yuan notes I recognize
from other examples online. But this one says "10000" in dark blue
ink, no mention of yuan on either side, but doesn't seem like fake
money.

Could it be "hell money", symbolic money burned to provide goods for
the spirits of the dead?

I think putting a scan on a Web site (and posting the URL here) would
be the best course.

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To:
Old November 5th 04, 05:40 PM
lark22

Hi Tim...

Thanks! The paper feels like "real" money, not flimsy like the hell
money I've seen in the past...but anyway, here's the scan:

http://www.sarahbastille.com/pics/money.jpg

Thanks!
Old November 5th 04, 06:34 PM
Thomas Chao

It's a China P-318 10,000 Yuan 1947 Central Bank of China note. Catalog
value $6.00 Very Fine circulated.

om...

Old November 8th 04, 08:15 PM
lark22

Thank you, Thomas!

I have a really, really silly question: does that mean it's worth $6
in China? Is it still valid currency? Thanks for all your help!

Best,
Sarah
Old November 8th 04, 09:56 PM
Thomas Chao

No, the note had been obsolete for over 50 years. It's worthless as legal
tender. $6.00 is the approximate value a paper money collector is willing to
pay for his/her collection

om...

Old November 9th 04, 05:22 AM
lark22