Identification of pound note with arabic on reverse and sales advice?

Old January 30th 04, 12:49 AM
Morat

Default Identification of pound note with arabic on reverse and sales advice?

Hi all, I have a small collection of World War II notes and coins from
around the world which I'm trying to identify and ascertain the value
of. Most of the notes seem straightforward apart from one. On the face
it's a seemingly normal old £1 note, but the reverse is composed
entirely of what appears to be some sort of arabic writing. I've asked
one local shop about it but they didn't know what it was, although the
chap speculated it may have been issued to airman and the writing was
a request for help in the local language, to be used if they were shot
down. I've a photo of the front and rear he

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~Morat/sh...nown_front.jpg
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~Morat/sh...known_rear.jpg

There are also a number of notes in the collection that I either have
two or more of or there are a few different denominations of the same
note. For example I have two 1941 Cyprus 1 Shilling notes which are
virtually identical in condition, I believe they're Pick number 20. My
question is, if I were to sell these notes would they fetch a better
price individually or grouped together? The photos of the Cyprus notes
are here if it helps:

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~Morat/shots/notefront.jpg
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~Morat/shots/noteback.jpg

There seems to be some good information available on the net,
particularly for identifying what notes are, but it's more general
information that I'm having trouble finding a good source for. It's
interesting stuff though, the notes and coins have been collected from
as far apart as Russia, Egypt and even Ceylon.

Thanks for your time.
Old January 30th 04, 02:39 AM
Scottishmoney

"Morat" wrote in message
om...
Hi all, I have a small collection of World War II notes and coins from
around the world which I'm trying to identify and ascertain the value
of. Most of the notes seem straightforward apart from one. On the face
it's a seemingly normal old £1 note, but the reverse is composed
entirely of what appears to be some sort of arabic writing. I've asked
one local shop about it but they didn't know what it was, although the
chap speculated it may have been issued to airman and the writing was
a request for help in the local language, to be used if they were shot
down. I've a photo of the front and rear he

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~Morat/sh...nown_front.jpg
http://www.mycgiserver.com/~Morat/sh...known_rear.jpg

This is WWII propaganda, probably distributed in North Africa during the
North Africa Campaign ca. 1943. Without being able to read Arabic it could
have been printed by the allies or the axis powers.

Dave

---

Old January 30th 04, 06:43 PM
A.E. Gelat

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

"Morat" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dave, nothing could be further from the truth. This is a bogus "note".
From the scan you provided, I could not tell whether the color of the front
was blue or green. The green was issued between 1934-1948. the blue
form 1940 to 1948, and the green again from 1948 to 1960. These are
with the signature of K. O. Peppiatt.

The front must be a forgery, as the back will prove that. It is written
in Arabic, and is a diatribe against Great Britain. It says that the note
was once redeemable in gold, but now is not worth the paper it is printed
on, etc., etc. The last sentence says: "God has willed the dissolution of
Great Britain and it will happen".

The forgery is quite good, and it was most probably made by the Nazis in
WWII and distributed in North Africa, not as currency, but as propaganda.
Nobody would have accepted it as currency.

In my opinion, this could be a very valuable object.

Tony

Old January 30th 04, 09:56 PM
Morat

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message ...
"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

"Morat" wrote in message
om...
[...]

From the scan you provided, I could not tell whether the color of the front
was blue or green. The green was issued between 1934-1948. the blue
form 1940 to 1948, and the green again from 1948 to 1960. These are
with the signature of K. O. Peppiatt.

The front must be a forgery, as the back will prove that. It is written
in Arabic, and is a diatribe against Great Britain. It says that the note
was once redeemable in gold, but now is not worth the paper it is printed
on, etc., etc. The last sentence says: "God has willed the dissolution of
Great Britain and it will happen".

The forgery is quite good, and it was most probably made by the Nazis in
WWII and distributed in North Africa, not as currency, but as propaganda.
Nobody would have accepted it as currency.

In my opinion, this could be a very valuable object.

Tony

Tony and Dave,

Thanks for the replies. The consensus of myself and my wife is that
it's green, but it's a tough call. Are there any experts in the field
I could approach?

The note is part of a collection that was given to me by my
Grandmother about 20 years ago. My Grandfather was a pilot/engineer in
the RAF during WW2 and from memory flew as engineer on Lancasters and
with the first Hurricane group to enter Russia. Several notes and
coins (and two stamps) in the collection are Russian. It's only
recently that I've been curious about finding out more about them, but
if that note was produced by the Axis side I'd love to know how he
came aross it.
Old January 30th 04, 10:11 PM
note.boy

A propaganda note dropped by the Germans in W.W.II, they are normally
found in low grade, no wonder, and are collectable.

A rough value is around £30 to £50 as it has a chunk missing. Billy

Old January 31st 04, 03:53 AM
Padraic Brown

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

The front must be a forgery, as the back will prove that. It is written
in Arabic, and is a diatribe against Great Britain. It says that the note
was once redeemable in gold, but now is not worth the paper it is printed
on, etc., etc. The last sentence says: "God has willed the dissolution of
Great Britain and it will happen".

Can you actually translate the whole text for us?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old January 31st 04, 06:53 PM
A.E. Gelat

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

The front must be a forgery, as the back will prove that. It is written
in Arabic, and is a diatribe against Great Britain. It says that the

note
was once redeemable in gold, but now is not worth the paper it is

printed
on, etc., etc. The last sentence says: "God has willed the dissolution

of
Great Britain and it will happen".

Can you actually translate the whole text for us?

Padraic.

I will try. Some of the words are on the creases, and others had unusual
font,
making it are difficult to decipoher. I will post the translation later.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:53:46 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
.. .
"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

The front must be a forgery, as the back will prove that. It is written
in Arabic, and is a diatribe against Great Britain. It says that the

note
was once redeemable in gold, but now is not worth the paper it is

printed
on, etc., etc. The last sentence says: "God has willed the dissolution

of
Great Britain and it will happen".

Can you actually translate the whole text for us?

Padraic.

I will try. Some of the words are on the creases, and others had unusual
font, making it are difficult to decipoher. I will post the translation later.

Neat diatribe! Thanks for the translation!

Old February 4th 04, 04:06 AM
Herb F.

Yep, I am the expert in this field. There are three messages on the back
of two banknotes with different serial numbers. They were prepared by
the Germans and mostly used during WWII in Egypt. I have translated them
all at one time or another in the IBNS Journal. They are not
particularly valuable. Figure about $50-75 to a propaganda collector.

Old June 19th 04, 10:24 AM
James Q. Tigernuts

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

"Scottishmoney" wrote in message

This is WWII propaganda, probably distributed in North Africa during the
North Africa Campaign ca. 1943. Without being able to read Arabic it

could
have been printed by the allies or the axis powers.

Dave

Dave, nothing could be further from the truth. This is a bogus "note".
From the scan you provided, I could not tell whether the color of the

front
was blue or green. The green was issued between 1934-1948. the blue
form 1940 to 1948, and the green again from 1948 to 1960. These are
with the signature of K. O. Peppiatt.

The front must be a forgery, as the back will prove that. It is written
in Arabic, and is a diatribe against Great Britain. It says that the note
was once redeemable in gold, but now is not worth the paper it is printed
on, etc., etc. The last sentence says: "God has willed the dissolution

of
Great Britain and it will happen".

The forgery is quite good, and it was most probably made by the Nazis in
WWII and distributed in North Africa, not as currency, but as propaganda.
Nobody would have accepted it as currency.

So in what way do you disagree with what Dave said? You seem to be
confirming his supposition, not denying it.