FA: Three KY depression scrip notes & 1 Tenn. civil war

Old October 19th 03, 04:47 PM
JSTONE9352

Default FA: Three KY depression scrip notes & 1 Tenn. civil war

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...rid=michigan99

Just found these this morning while rummaging around my desk, I forgot I had
bought them about a year ago.
Old October 21st 03, 01:05 AM
Michael E. Marotta

(JSTONE9352) wrote:
Just found these this morning while rummaging around my desk, I forgot I had
bought them about a year ago.

Pretty interesting! Thanks for posting the links. I assume that you
attributed them out of Mitchell and Shafer. I am writing an article
now about local currency and the people here in Traverse City who are
doing this have been very receptive to information like this.

Myself, I can get just as excited about wildcat bank notes, but then
you get into this uphill effort trying to talk through unbridled
capitalism and all that. And myself, I would have agreed even last
year perhaps. I don't know just when I had an enlightenment, but
sometime in 2002/2003, the light went on while I was clattering away
at the keyboard and I suddenly saw paper money in a whole new light.

I think that one influence of that was writing "Money in the 21st
Century" for Loompanics. I came to see US colonial paper as the
_only_ solution appropriate to a people who were long on opportunity
and short on bullion. In America, we do business on a handshake.
Even Ayn Rand said that gold would be worthless without productive
people to honor the pledge it stands for.

Then, there is the fact that Bill Gates would need a troop of about
2000 men each carrying about 100 lbs of gold if he wanted to
liquidate, but he could do that with a signature on a check, or a
thumbprint, or a handshake, really. So, for all of gold's beneficial
qualities, it is not very transportable.

Moving money is as important as having it, moreso, perhaps. These
Depression Era stamp scrips were an attempt to solve that problem.
You had to spend them.

I digress... but thanks again.