FA: $1 DeSoto, Nebraska obsolete note 1863

Old October 5th 03, 03:39 PM
JSTONE9352

Default FA: $1 DeSoto, Nebraska obsolete note 1863

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=3051244889

Check out the portrait of Daniel Webster. Has anyone ever been more grumpy
looking on a banknote?
Old October 5th 03, 04:20 PM
note.boy

He does look grumpy.

Mary Slessor on the Clydesdale Bank £10 looks as if she's ready to bust
into tears.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=47 400

Maybe smiling isn't allowed on banknotes, like on passport photos.
Billy

Old October 5th 03, 05:35 PM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message
He does look grumpy.

Mary Slessor on the Clydesdale Bank £10 looks as if she's ready to bust
into tears.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=47 400

Maybe smiling isn't allowed on banknotes, like on passport photos.
Billy

Awful lot of people during that time had untreated and lingering medical
conditions, which are evidenced in their portraits today. Abraham Lincoln
and the Marfan's syndrome are more prominent, but also consider contemporary
portraits of John C. Calhoun and some of the Union generals in the war
betwixt the states and you will see a myriad of problems. Nowadays we would
probably just think they need a good stiff laxative but they probably had a
lot more going on than that.

Mary Slessor was still reeling from the dysentary she probably got on her
arrival in Africa.

Dave

Old October 5th 03, 10:03 PM
note.boy

Is the portrait on the note based on a contemporary image of her?

I prefer my "no smiling allowed" theory. :-) Billy

Old October 6th 03, 12:56 AM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message
Is the portrait on the note based on a contemporary image of her?

I prefer my "no smiling allowed" theory. :-) Billy

Reminds me of one time we were at one of my wife's cousins weddings in
Canada and one of her cousins came by our table at the reception with a
Canadian $20 with Lilliebet on it. She is kind of frowning regularly but if
you fold the note just right as he showed us you could put a smile on HRH.
With a son like Charles no wonder the poor lady frowns.

Dave

Old October 6th 03, 10:48 PM
Scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message
A hologram portrait that made the person smile when tilted would be a
good idea. Billy

Actually if I might suggest, perhaps passing over Charles and going to Wills
would help Elizabeth smile.

Dave

Old October 7th 03, 12:48 AM
JSTONE9352

Actually if I might suggest, perhaps passing over Charles and going to Wills
would help Elizabeth smile.

That would make a lot of people happy
but I don't see it happening unless
Charles dies before his mother does.

Charles might not become king until
he is in his 60's and won't have anywhere near the length of rule his mother
has.
Old October 7th 03, 02:25 AM
Robert Underhill

In article ,
(JSTONE9352) wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=3051244889

Check out the portrait of Daniel Webster. Has anyone ever been more grumpy
looking on a banknote?

And everyone else on the note seems to be looking at Daniel in apprehension.

Bob Underhill
To answer by e-mail delete everything in caps in the address.