Michigan State Show April 7, 8, 9

Old March 24th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Default Michigan State Show April 7, 8, 9

MSNS continues to celebrate its 50th year with a SPRING CONVENTION
April 7, 8, 9 in Dearborn at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

The bourse opens Friday at 10:00 am.

The Bourse floor will feature about 120 dealers.

The educational forum, exhibits, and other meetings will also be
presented.

The Board of Directors meets on Saturday at 4:00 pm.

The awards breakfast is on Sunday at 8:30 am.

The Hyatt Regency is just off the Southfield Expressway and Michigan
Avenue in Dearborn.
The Fairlane Mall is in the same neck of the woods.

Old March 24th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

You Yanks can go to that show. I'll be in Atlanta at the time
attending a slightly bigger show.

Old March 25th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Randy Thompson wrote:
You Yanks can go to that show. I'll be in Atlanta at the time
attending a slightly bigger show.

As an MSNS Board member, etc., being in Deaborn is required for me. If
not for that I might easily have made the 10 hour drive to Atlanta. I
recommend that highly to all collectors.

If an ANA show -- or a large regional such as Blue Ridge, Pacifc
Northwest, Central States, New England -- comes within a day's drive,
then _GO!_ I have no problem with anyone passing up Dearborn to goto
Atlanta. I believe that most collectors cheat themselves of
opportunities by not paying the $100 for the overnight motel and making
a major convention. The cash savings on the bourse floor and in the
auctions more than compensate. I have seen collectors buy wonderful
coins at dealer to dealer wholesale at the nightly ANA auctions -- and
yet, there will be but three or four collectors in the room, with the
rest being dealers. Then, there are the educational opportunities.
People talk about "cherry picking" books -- but miss the chance to sit
in a room with five other people and talk to the authors of such books.
I have zero interest in collecting Morgan Dollars, but when Michael
Fey came into my "Numismatic Theater" presentation room after my talk,
to set up for his, I sat down to listen. Knowledge is wealth.

If Dearborn is closer than Atlanta, if you cannot take the extra day,
if you need to be home at night, then Dearborn is your show.

Old March 27th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Mike, I agree with you completely. I just thought it was odd that the
Dearborn show would have been scheduled against the ANA show.

I've been colecting for over 30 years and I've never been able to
attend a show with more than 100 tables. I'm about five hours from
Atlanta so I'm not going to let this one slip by. I'm taking my wife
and daughter and we plan to do some other Atlanta attractions while we
are there. I may not get to spend as much time as I would like at the
show, but with a six year old along I will do the best I can. Who
knows, maybe I can meet some of the people here who I only know by name
now.

Old March 28th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Randy Thompson wrote:
I just thought it was odd that the
Dearborn show would have been scheduled against the ANA show.

Life is not perfect. I think it was back in 1997 when there was a
conflict with MSNS and Central States. Schedules and contracts are set
for years in advance and the hotel has a life if its own as well. In
theory, we could contract with "any" hotel, but the reality is that the
value is in the unwritten terms of the agreement. The Hyatt Regency
delivers.

Also, with MSNS people like Florence Shook, Ken Bressett and John
Wilson -- all former ANA Presidents -- we could throw our weight
around, but we are not like that. We defer. We demur. So, this
Spring's MSNS convention will be a bit smaller.

However, the bottom line is in the collector's favor. Anyone who
comes to the bourse with cash will be treated very well, very well,
indeed, by 120 dealers.

Old March 28th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Randy Thompson wrote:
Who
knows, maybe I can meet some of the people here who I only know by name
now.

It is always a thrill for me to meet people whom I know only online.
In fact, I enjoy that moment of embarrassment when two people wonder if
the other guy is still mad at being flamed. (:-)

Michael

Old March 28th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

If Dearborn is closer than Atlanta, if you cannot take the extra day,
if you need to be home at night, then Dearborn is your show.

For me - Dearborn about 80 miles.
Atlanta - 800-900 miles

Atlanta would be wonderful but too far and too much money right now.
Have house and car insurance bills coming up quickly - they won't be
pretty

That said I'm unsure about Dearborn as well, just have to see how
things
shake out in my life at that time.

Old March 29th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

stonej wrote:
That said I'm unsure about Dearborn as well, just have to see how
things shake out in my life at that time.

I have always been impressed with your work here on RCC. If you would
like to chat with a group of friends about some of the things you do
online and how you do them, I could arrange an honorarium to cover your
expenses and a bit more.

The Spring Show is covered, but I am lining up the Educational Forum
for Thanksgiving.

The best way to contact me is to start with the MSNS website and follow
the Officers link to an email address for me.

Michael

Old April 2nd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Mike Marotta wrote:
MSNS continues to celebrate its 50th year with a SPRING CONVENTION
April 7, 8, 9 in Dearborn at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
The Bourse floor will feature about 120 dealers.
The educational forum, exhibits, and other meetings will also ...

One of the agenda items for the Board of Directors meeting is the
"Proposed Code of Ethics" that I posted here and which Dr. Richard Hall
rewrote into plain language.

Old April 7th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Mike Marotta wrote:
MSNS continues to celebrate its 50th year with a SPRING CONVENTION
April 7, 8, 9 in Dearborn at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
The bourse opens Friday at 10:00 am.
The Bourse floor will feature about 120 dealers.

I predict that this is going to be "collector's show." Being the same
weekend as the ANA means that the smaller bourse will be tilted in
favor of those who attend. For some dealers and for some collectors,
any show -- every show -- is a good one, or a bad one. You pretty much
bring your luck with you wherever you go. That said, though, I have
seen the smaller bourse at an MSNS convention when it was held against
the CSNS and the reduced markets tend to favor those who come to do
business.