How to get lesser used coins & $2 bills these days?

Old November 29th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
OhioGuy

Default How to get lesser used coins & $2 bills these days?

For a number of different reasons, I'd like to track down about $100 total
worth of half dollar rolls, dollar coins, & $2 bills.

I'm having a heck of a time doing so, however.

My credit union, where I do all of my financial dealings, says flat out
that they can't get these for me, and that I'll have to go to a bank.

Therefore, I've called several banks, and I get the same story - they
might have a few halves laying around, but no rolls. None of them had $2
bills, and only one had a couple of the dollar coins.

I wanted to include these with some Christmas presents, and I'm not sure
where to go from here. I thought pretty much all banks would have these
available, but I guess not.

What does a person have to do these days in order to track down rolls of
the lesser used coins, and $2 bills? I don't exactly want to drive all
around the city chasing these elusive things.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Old November 29th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

What does a person have to do these days in order to track down rolls
of the lesser used coins, and $2 bills? I don't exactly want to
drive all around the city chasing these elusive things.

Sad, isn't it, that someone has to go through this much trouble to
obtain current US coins and bills?

Keep trying. It helps if you are a customer of the bank, especially if
you will be getting more in the future.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old November 29th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

Let your fingers do the walking! Call every bank in town until you find one or more
that has what you need. I live in a relatively small city (less than 100K) and I
normally have no problem finding half dollar and dollar rolls......$2 bills are
another story. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old November 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Nov 29, 4:36 pm, "Ed Hendricks"
wrote:

Let your fingers do the walking! Call every bank in town until you find one or more
that has what you need. I live in a relatively small city (less than 100K) and I
normally have no problem finding half dollar and dollar rolls......$2 bills are
another story. :-)

I live in a small town in the fringe suburbs of NYC and have a lot of
trouble getting $2 bills. $1 coins are plentiful but halves seem in
short supply. My bank has always gotten the President dollar coins
shortly after the release date but they store them in the vault until
somebody (like me) asks for a roll. The teller actually almost refused
to break open a roll to give me a couple of loose coins. So much for
the dollar coin making it into general circulation!
Old November 29th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Anderson

In article
,
RF wrote:

I live in a small town in the fringe suburbs of NYC and have a lot of
trouble getting $2 bills. $1 coins are plentiful but halves seem in
short supply. My bank has always gotten the President dollar coins
shortly after the release date but they store them in the vault until
somebody (like me) asks for a roll. The teller actually almost
refused to break open a roll to give me a couple of loose coins. So
much for the dollar coin making it into general circulation!

If we made the public go through this much trouble to get dollar bills,
I bet they wouldn't circulate much either.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old November 30th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:
[...]

i get halves and ikes. face plus shipping to rcc members. want me to look?
Old November 30th 07, 09:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jack

On Nov 29, 1:54�pm, "OhioGuy" wrote:
[...]

I go to a saveing & loan bank. I can get most of the items I want. If
the bank doesn't have them on hand they will order them for me & I
have them in a few days.
Old November 30th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shreadvector

On Nov 29, 10:54 am, "OhioGuy" wrote:
[...]

This has been asked and answered so many times that I have a standard
response document for Twos (and the same applies to dollar coins, but
those should be MUCH easier to find). I will cut and paste it he

MANY banks will lie to you and use carefully worded responses to your
request for Twos. Here is what they say and what it means in the real
world:

"I don't have any" - this means "I personally do not have any in my
drawer and I do not want to bother looking for any in the vault. I
want you to accept $20s and move along. What is it going to take to
train you to behave like an obedient customer?"

"We don't have any" - this means "Our bank branch does not have any.
We have succeeded in training all our customers to stop asking for
them. Why don't you stop annoying me and just use $20s like everyone
else? That way we can continue to sell $5s and $1s to our merchant
customers who pay us a few percent for "change" and we can maximize
our profits."

You *must* talk to the teller who orders cash. Then you must make it
clear that you are the customer and they work for you. You want them
to order Twos from their cash supplier (regional bank cash vault or
armored car company cash depot). They will tell you they must order
$2000 minimum and they *may* attempt to force you to buy them all at
once - especially if they are on a mission to train you to stop
asking. That way they make it as annoying as possible so you will be
trained. Object to this type of proposal and get loud (but POLITE) if
you need to. Tell them you want to get at least one strap of $200 per
week and you are sure that other customers will also want them - once
they are broken of their training and are no longer afraid to ask for
Twos.

*************

Coin availability is listed on the Fed website:

http://www.frbservices.org/Cash/commemcoin.html

The website also has info on how ANY financial institution can order
ANY denomination of current currency and coin:

http://www.frbservices.org/Operating...rs/pdf/Oc2.pdf

-Fred Shecter
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...shreadv ector

Old November 30th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured

shreadvector wrote:

[...]

What Fred said, but with less attitude. ;-)

The point is, tell them up front that you want to place an order for
these unusual denominations. Don't just settle for asking what they
have on hand or you will be frustrated.

Also, be prepared to purchase in bulk. In general, banks have fixed
ordering units imposed on them, and you need to work with them to
alleviate concerns that they will be left holding a box 90% full of
funny money.

Methods that have brought me success include trying many banks, like Ed
said; asking for the head teller or vault manager or branch manager; and
offering to open an account in exchange for their assistance. Oh yeah,
I think courtesy counts too. HTH.

--Dave
Old November 30th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

Dave Allured wrote:
Also, be prepared to purchase in bulk. In general, banks have fixed
ordering units imposed on them, and you need to work with them to
alleviate concerns that they will be left holding a box 90% full of
funny money.

That situation wouldn't occur if they just put the "funny money" into the cash drawers
and use it for its intended purpose. Wonder why it is so hard for banks and
businesses to understand that these coins and notes are just normal, circulating
money.......just like the $1 notes and quarters that they handle by the billions?

--
©¿©¬
~