Proof coins or just for the gold content

Old December 2nd 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A You

Default Proof coins or just for the gold content

What have you seen comparing the price of the proof coins (maple
leafs, buffalos) vs the price of the uncirculated coins?
Which has been the better investment?
Do you think that will be the way of the future?
TIA...

If a small purchase I would go for a proof. If a large purchase I might go
for uncirculated bullion coin...without mint mark (if Eagles). And that
raises the issue that Eagles are also available as uncirculated coin...with
mint mark.

Of course the Pandas are said to be proof-like...

Also there are now currency ETF's that pay interest. While the gold ETF's do
not pay interest. But a physical gold holding at a bank would allow covered
calls to be written...for income.

Old December 2nd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

A You wrote:
What have you seen comparing the price of the proof coins (maple
leafs, buffalos) vs the price of the uncirculated coins?
Which has been the better investment?
Do you think that will be the way of the future?
TIA...

If a small purchase I would go for a proof. If a large purchase I might go
for uncirculated bullion coin...without mint mark (if Eagles). And that
raises the issue that Eagles are also available as uncirculated coin...with
mint mark.

Of course the Pandas are said to be proof-like...

Also there are now currency ETF's that pay interest. While the gold ETF's do
not pay interest. But a physical gold holding at a bank would allow covered
calls to be written...for income.

A speculative comment from oly, admittedly not pure numismatics...mea
culpa, mea culpa...how to possibly turn a gold bullion play into a
numismatic premium item...

Frankly, either way, proof or unc. - the 2007 Buffalos might be easily
scarcer than the first year. I would probably take those Buffalos
early next year and ask your dealer how much difference for a swap of
2006 dated coins for 2007 dated coins.

If the 2007s have sufficiently high mintages, I might consider doing
the same swap in early 2008.

After the American Gold Eagle program had rolled along several years,
there came the relatively tiny mintages of some denominations in 1990,
1991 and 1992. Premium money was made for those buyers. History could
repeat itself.

On the other hand, realize that the Gold Buffalo program might not make
it five years --- the Mint is trying to crack a market that Canada and
Austria already have pretty much locked up in the rest of the world.
The Gold Buffalos may ultimately have (slightly) less liquidity than
the Canadian coins.

You might want to watch the Gold Buffalo mintages over the years. They
could tumble after the novelty wears off.

oly