US postal rates will probably increase

Old November 24th 04, 06:06 PM
Steve MacGregor

Default US postal rates will probably increase

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...

No real surprise of course. It was going to happen again soon or or
later.

Quick! Buy postage stamps before the price goes up!

--
Steve

Old November 24th 04, 06:08 PM
note.boy

It's possible to do this in the UK as the basic first and second class
stamps have no mark of value on them, only "1st" or "2nd". Billy

Old November 24th 04, 10:16 PM
Jorg Lueke

We have unmarked forst class stamps here as well. Though I imagine the PO
probably stops selling them in times just before price increases.

Steve MacGregor wrote:

"John Stone" wrote in message
om...

No real surprise of course. It was going to happen again soon or or
later.

Quick! Buy postage stamps before the price goes up!

--
Steve

--
Jorg Lueke ANA 197036, ANS 11206, CSNS, ACCG, TCACC (I try), CWTS

http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/
Old November 24th 04, 10:47 PM
James Higby

Actually, I believe that stamps have been printed with no denom in
anticipation of a price increase. Then they can be quickly put on the
market at the new rate, whatever it is. But if the rate goes up again (I
should have said when, not if), then these undenommed stamps have to be
"plussed up" with a 3¢ or 4¢ stamp, or whatever.

Also, the undenommed stamps can't be used for Canada, no how, no way, even
if you put a million bucks worth of them on an envelope.

news

Old November 24th 04, 11:59 PM
John DeBoo

Nope, they'll sell them until they run out of stock. You'll buy the
lower denominations for use as make ups to fill the 4¢ void. They only
time I can recall they used an actual 'make-up' stamp was in 1991 for
use with an 'F'(25¢) non demonimated stamp. It said on it "This U.S.
stamp, along with the 25¢ of additional U.S. postage, is equivalent to
the 'F' stamp rate". Its value was 4¢ and was created due to a shortage
of lower demoninated stamps that could equal 4¢, and because I don't
believe they had a newer 4¢ stamp available as they do now.

If they get close to the Jan 06 timeframe and still have not settled on
a rate but are pretty sure an increase will be inevitable then they'll
print another non-denominated stamp and not assign a value to it until
thats settled.

John

Old November 26th 04, 08:17 AM
Henry Mensch

On 2004-11-24 09:06:05 -0800, "Steve MacGregor"
said:

Quick! Buy postage stamps before the price goes up!

why? you'd just have to buy top-up stamps to bring the postage up to
the correct value ...
--
# henry mensch / san francisco california
# http://www.henare.tk/