Grading Companies

Old March 19th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

Default Grading Companies

Of the eBay accepted coin graders (PCGS; NGC; ANACS; ICG) do you find
that some are better for a certain series of coins than their
competitors?
Of course, for Canadian coins I prefer ICCS.

Old March 19th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
Of the eBay accepted coin graders (PCGS; NGC; ANACS; ICG) do you find
that some are better for a certain series of coins than their
competitors?

I find them uniformly disappointing.

James

Old March 19th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

RWF wrote:
Of the eBay accepted coin graders (PCGS; NGC; ANACS; ICG) do you find
that some are better for a certain series of coins than their
competitors?

I find them uniformly disappointing.

James

I'm beginning to worry about you James.

Old March 19th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
Of the eBay accepted coin graders (PCGS; NGC; ANACS; ICG) do you
find that some are better for a certain series of coins than their
competitors?

I find them uniformly disappointing.

James

I'm beginning to worry about you James.

Not to worry. I'm just an old curmudgeon collector of even older coins, and
when I see the grades assigned to things such as New Jersey coppers, I close
my eyes and think about England.

For me, the value in TPG services has to do with authenticity and
originality.

James the Sentimental

Old March 19th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
Of the eBay accepted coin graders (PCGS; NGC; ANACS; ICG) do you
find that some are better for a certain series of coins than their
competitors?

I find them uniformly disappointing.

James

I'm beginning to worry about you James.

Not to worry. I'm just an old curmudgeon collector of even older
coins, and when I see the grades assigned to things such as New Jersey
coppers, I close my eyes and think about England.

For me, the value in TPG services has to do with authenticity and
originality.

James the Sentimental

TPGs have become a necessity in these days of rampant counterfeiting.
The marketplace demands slabbed coins - just check the ebay prices
realized for raw v. slabbed coins.
I feel confident in my ability to grade coin, esp. Canadian, but my
grading opinion and a token gets you a ride on the bus when the average
collector can't grade and NEEDS a TPG to do his thinking for him before
buying.
I'm slowly putting together a type collection of Canadian coins in F/VF
raw coins for the simple pleasure of being able to hold the coins.

Old March 20th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
[...]

Your "pleasure of being able to hold the coins" is more widely desired than
you might guess. That said, I own a number of slabbed coins that I have
allowed to remain in their slabs, for a variety of reasons, but an even
greater number of coins that are ex-slab, and by my own hand. Such is the
joy of collecting, in that the owner can do whatever he wishes with his
coins. My primary objection is that the slab has become a deity in the eyes
of so many, and for reasons other than their role in authentication.

James

Old March 20th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
[...]

Forgot to comment on something. A F/VF type set of Canadian coins can make
a very handsome display, and is a most worthwhile goal! In my twisted way
of thinking, such coins represent what the average guy might have seen and
handled back when.

James of Syrupy Nostalgia

Old March 20th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

For me, the value in TPG services has to do with authenticity and
originality.

For me a slab gives a bit of security - i.e. - I won't accidentally drop the
coin and ruin it. Then again, cheap plastic holders are available that do
just as well. I have placed some bullion silver eagles in capsules that are
meant for proofs. I bought the capsules from an eBay seller who sends his
coins in to be graded.

I refuse to purchase a raw coin from eBay and many graded coins are a
disappointment too.

I have purchased dozens of the 2006 reverse proofs in both PCGS and NGC
slabs and it has gotten to the point that I don't care what the picture
shows or the description says - before I dare bid on one I send a message to
the seller asking him to verify there are no unadvertised problems. I also
scan feedback. Failing to follow these measure is effectively asking to be
screwed. So many coins I have received have had hideous whites spots on
them that were neither mentioned in the auction nor visible in the photos.
Many of the sellers deny the coin has them when I ask for a return.

Old March 20th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
[...]

Indeed.
Several of the Victorian and Edwardian coins I assembled came right out
of my local dealer's $1 box, including a VF Victoria silver 5 cent and a
F Edward quarter.
The cutoff date for this collection is 1967 (the end of the silver era).
Of course the later date coins are in even better condition (EF-AU).

Old March 20th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
RWF wrote:
[...]

Sounds just like the set I put together back in the 60s. Do you have a way
to display yours? I have mine mounted up in an old Whitman Bookshelf album,
along with a Newfoundland type set in another. Maybe not worth a lot of
money, but probably the only such set on my block. When I was very young,
one could still occasionally pull a George V nickel from U.S. pocket change,
and I just thought that art deco look was about the coolest thing around.
Still do, in fact.

James

Grading Companies [email protected] Baseball 0 February 6th 06 12:26 AM
grading companies Fred Arakelian Coins 6 December 11th 05 06:14 PM
Grading Companies - Which to Use? Ron Coins 11 October 29th 04 03:59 AM
Grading Companies? Ron Coins 12 October 26th 04 05:12 AM
do grading companies consider date and mint when grading? Tetradrachm Coins 8 February 25th 04 08:21 AM