2009 Gold Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Question

Old March 15th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

Default 2009 Gold Double Eagle Ultra High Relief Question

Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

Old March 16th 09, 05:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"jack" wrote in message
Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

They say they will make as many as ordered until they start making next
years. Have you gotten any yet? Most people are disappointed by the size of
the coin as opposed to the design. They say it's too small and thick.
But,that's what the mint said it was going to be. I just ordered one for
someone and acording to the mint they have them in stock,bt won't ship for a
couple weeks.

Old March 16th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_10_]

On Mar 15, 10:29*pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
"jack" wrote in message

Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

They say they will make as many as ordered until they start making next
years. Have you gotten any yet? Most people are disappointed by the size of
the coin as opposed to the design. They say it's too small and thick.
But,that's what the mint said it was going to be. I just ordered one for
someone and acording to the mint they have them in stock,bt won't ship for a
couple weeks.

The price of gold has eased a bit. If you wait you might be able to
obtain one cheaper.

Or not.
Old March 17th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

"jack" wrote in message

Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to
strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

They say they will make as many as ordered until they start making next
years. Have you gotten any yet? Most people are disappointed by the size
of
the coin as opposed to the design. They say it's too small and thick.
But,that's what the mint said it was going to be. I just ordered one for
someone and acording to the mint they have them in stock,bt won't ship for
couple weeks.

The price of gold has eased a bit. If you wait you might be able to
obtain one cheaper.

Or not.

i bought mine for $1,189.00 they are selling for $1,289.00 now.
the bo administration is burning up the printing presses printing money so i
don't believe
gold is going down in value anytime soon. i hope not
because i've been buying gold coins.

Old March 17th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:54:23 GMT, "jack" wrote:

Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

I don't know, but I'm thinking seriously of sending mine back to the
mint. Anyone for a round of that all-time favorite game, "Are those
scratches on the coin or on the plastic?" Here's a shot of the
reverse of my UHR: (Warning, big image).

http://wemightneedthat.biz/reverse.jpg

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
And as always, no wagering.

Old March 17th 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Mar 16, 10:10*pm, Michael Benveniste wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:54:23 GMT, "jack" wrote:
Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

I don't know, but I'm thinking seriously of sending mine back to the
mint. *Anyone for a round of that all-time favorite game, "Are those
scratches on the coin or on the plastic?" *Here's a shot of the
reverse of my UHR: *(Warning, big image).

http://wemightneedthat.biz/reverse.jpg

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
And as always, no wagering.

It looks like the scratches are on the plastic, because they spread
past the coin.
Old March 17th 09, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"Michael Benveniste" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:54:23 GMT, "jack" wrote:

Hi, does anybody know how many of these coins the mint is going to strike?
It's a beautiful with a high quality box.

I don't know, but I'm thinking seriously of sending mine back to the
mint. Anyone for a round of that all-time favorite game, "Are those
scratches on the coin or on the plastic?" Here's a shot of the
reverse of my UHR: (Warning, big image).

http://wemightneedthat.biz/reverse.jpg

Hmmm... looks like on the plastic to me but that is not easy to determine
from a photograph. Have you tilted the coin under bright light? That
usually works for me.

Old March 17th 09, 11:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"PC" wrote in message

Hmmm... looks like on the plastic to me but that is not easy to determine
from a photograph. Have you tilted the coin under bright light? That
usually works for me.

I have, both with and without a loupe, to no avail.

I'm assuming that the scratches are on the plastic as well. I took
that shot with a high light through a diffusion panel, which is
about perfect for picking out fine scratches.

So my choices a
-- Send the coin back to the mint and wait a few months
for a replacement on what's probably a perfectly
reasonable example of the coin.
-- Put on the cotton gloves and remove it from the capsule,
and check that way.
-- See if the problem goes away if I use a ring light or
other lighting solution.

I'll probably try the ring light next, but I was hoping to
make a pair of really big enlargements (24x24" or more) using
my Pentax 645's macro lens and an extension tube. Alas, my
ring light doesn't fit on the Pentax.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Dance as if no one is watching, and in my case, make sure no

Old March 17th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj[_2_]

"PC" wrote in message

Hmmm... looks like on the plastic to me but that is not easy to
determine from a photograph. Have you tilted the coin under bright
light? That usually works for me.

I have, both with and without a loupe, to no avail.

What power loupe? With a 10x or 20x magnifier, two things happen.
First, you get a better picture of the scratch itself and may be able
to determine whether it's on the plastic surface or on the metal.
Second, you can use the lens' shallow depth of field effect. Focus
back and forth on the plastic surface and the coin surface by slightly
increasing/decreasing the distance from the lens. When you're sharply
focused on the plastic surface, minute details on the surface will be
sharp. If the scratch also is sharp and gets blurry when you shift
focus to the image of the scratch on the coin surface, it's a surface
scratch. You get the opposite effect if it's a coin scratch. This
really pops out at you with a 40x stereo microscope but even a cheap
10x or 20x lens can work.

Another method is parallax shift. Any scratch on one surface likely
will be reflected off the other. Carefully note the scratch image
that's showing on the coin surface and move your head side to side or
slightly tilt the coin. If the apparent location of the scratch
shifts from its location on the coin, it's a reflection of a scratch
on the plastic. This effect is subtle and depends on the separation
between the coin and the plastic case.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but it's been my experience that scratches on
Mint encapsulated proofs always have been on the plastic. In one or
two doubtful instances with presidential dollars I cracked the cover
off - quite easily done with the 4-coin proof sets - and verified that
the scratch was on the plastic, not the metal. The only reason I
wouldn't discount the possibility of coin damage to a proof is that I
have 6 first-year presidential $1 proof sets, ordered in separate
batches of 3. Each batch has 3 nearly identical flaws on the GW
dollar caused by breakage of the edge lettering mechanism at the 10
o'clock position, one set of 3 being an early stage and one being a
late stage. The damage is visible without magnification. If those
slipped past quality control, anything is possible. Note, however,
that the damage to my proofs occurred during the stamping process.
Scratches can occur at any stage. My guess is that the Mint's
handling and QC procedures do a good job of preventing scratches but
were blind to the possibility and occurrence of die damage.