How about a change in eBay policy to end snipe bidding

Old July 14th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Donald Weber

Default How about a change in eBay policy to end snipe bidding

I'd like to see a change in auctions, such that if anyone bids within the
last 60 seconds of an auction it automatically resets the timer to 60
seconds. In other words, the last 60 seconds would have to be bid free for
the auction to end. In my mind this would a real, "Going Once.... Going
Twice... SOLD !"

Comments?

Old July 14th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Jul 14, 1:05�am, "Donald Weber" wrote:
I'd like to see a change in auctions, such that if anyone bids within the
last 60 seconds of an auction it automatically resets the timer to 60
seconds. In other words, the last 60 seconds would have to be bid free for
the auction to end. In my mind this would a real, "Going Once.... Going
Twice... SOLD !"

Comments?

This was discussed here several years ago. You might think sellers
would be in favor of such a move as it might result in higher bids.
However, the majority of sellers here wanted to keep things as they
are. They were happier with a definitive ending time for their
auctions.

I personally would not like it....sniping is generally the only way I
bid.

Old July 14th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

Ebay's system to allow optional notification by email or mobile text
messages is worthless when the bids all come in 30 seconds
before the auction ends. Sniping should be banned or the auction
automatically extended. In a live auction, the hammer doesn't fall
until the bidding stops.

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES www.frankcoins.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/frankcoins Texas Auction License
Old July 14th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 07/14/2008
at 01:05 AM, "Donald Weber" said:

I'd like to see a change in auctions, such that if anyone bids within the
last 60 seconds of an auction it automatically resets the timer to 60
seconds.

I wouldn't.

Nick
Old July 14th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on
07/13/2008
at 11:30 PM, Frank Provasek said:

In a live auction, the hammer doesn't fall until the bidding stops.

It's not a live auction ... it's an online auction with a fixed time. If
you want it to work like a "live auction", well, have or find a live
auction.

Nick

Old July 14th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Jul 14, 2:30*am, Frank Provasek wrote:
Ebay's system to allow optional notification by email or mobile text
messages is worthless when the bids all come in 30 seconds
before the auction ends. *Sniping should be banned or the auction
automatically extended. *In a live auction, the hammer doesn't fall
until the bidding stops.

Poor befuddled Fwankie, still doesn't understand eBay isn't a live
auction.
Poor widdle baby.
As for me, I always snipe and like things just the way they are.

Old July 14th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
This was discussed here several years ago. You might think sellers would
be in favor of such a move as it might result in higher bids.
However, the majority of sellers here wanted to keep things as they
are. They were happier with a definitive ending time for their
auctions.

I personally would not like it....sniping is generally the only way I
bid.

I do not believe extending the auction would result in higher bids, in fact
it may have an opposite effect, people who typically snipe in an auction
might not bid at all in the instance that it automatically extends the
auction another 60 seconds.

I find it comical that people still whine about sniping. It has been a
feature of eBay since it's debut in 1995. The main complaint is that people
get outbid in the last seconds of an auction, and feel as though they should
have an opportunity to bid again as they could for instance in a live
auction. A better deterent would be to just bid your max for an item if you
must have it, and cannot live without it.

Even in sniping you get outbid, sometimes with 0 seconds left, it happens to
me. I do not sit around and whine about it, I just figure well someone
wanted it more than I did. There is an instance of one particular
collectable which I have lost in the final 10 seconds of the auction on
three or four different auctions, only to find one finally on Lyn Knight in
better condition, and less money. So if you are patient, what comes around
goes around.

Old July 14th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Jul 14, 8:55*am, "scottishmoney" wrote:

Even in sniping you get outbid, sometimes with 0 seconds left, it happens to
me. *I do not sit around and whine about it, I just figure well someone
wanted it more than I did. *There is an instance of one particular
collectable which I have lost in the final 10 seconds of the auction on
three or four different auctions, only to find one finally on Lyn Knight in
better condition, and less money. *So if you are patient, what comes around
goes around.

Sniping works for me in keeping me from getting "auction fever".
I wait till the last second to bid my max.
If I win, fine - I got the item I wanted at the price I wanted.
If I don't, fine - somebody wanted it more than I did.
Old July 14th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:55:11 -0400, "scottishmoney"
wrote:

I find it comical that people still whine about sniping. It has been a
feature of eBay since it's debut in 1995. The main complaint is that people
get outbid in the last seconds of an auction, and feel as though they should
have an opportunity to bid again as they could for instance in a live
auction. A better deterent would be to just bid your max for an item if you
must have it, and cannot live without it.

As a seller, I don't like sniping. I have no objections to it on
principle, but it takes away the fun of putting something up on eBay.
There was a time when you could list something and check frequently to
see what action there was on the item. Now there's no point in
checking on your auction during the course of the seven day run
because there will be few, if any, bids.

It's like watching a horse race and seeing just the finish.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida