Westward Series Nickels (Business Circulated)

Old December 18th 04, 07:04 AM
WJW

Default Westward Series Nickels (Business Circulated)

Any predictions on the business circulated Westward series nickels? I
have only been able to find 5 (all Denver mint)in circulation here in
Hawaii out of ten rolls of nickels. Very popular coin it seems for
Hawaii collectors. Is it like this on the mainland? The coins I have
found are in About Uncirculated condition, but sure are hard to track
down. Anyone from Hawaii have a favorite spot for picking up circulated
coinage?

-Aloha and Mele Kalikimaka

Old December 18th 04, 02:54 PM
Jerry Dennis

Handshake nickels are fairly common around here on the northeast mainland.
Keelboats, however, are really tough to get.

I checked all (and I mean ALL) banks and branches in two counties and a few in
a third. There's a small bank branch in the front of the local Wally World
parking lot that managed to get a single box of Keelboats. I managed to get
nine rolls (and I needed 10). The vault managers and tellers continue to tell
me they've been ordered, and we should have them at any time. We'll see.

As for predictions I'd say they'll fall in line with SQs and Bicentennials...
hoarded but rarely worth more than face.

Jerry

Old December 18th 04, 05:16 PM
WJW

Thanks, I was getting a little frustrated. I am a big Lewis & Clark fan
after reading Stephen Ambroses's "Undaunted Courage" about the Corps of
Discovery in 1804, so these coins hold a special interest to me. Thanks
Jerry

PS I am very new to coin collecting, is SQ the Statehood Quarter?

Old December 18th 04, 07:25 PM
Bob Flaminio

WJW wrote:
Any predictions on the business circulated Westward series nickels?

I got rolls and rolls of both designs, but have only found precious few
in circulation. Not sure where they are all going. I mean, who hoards
nickels? Maybe it's just because nickels are almost as worthless as
cents, and they're all going straight into folks' coin jars.

--
Bob

Old December 18th 04, 07:30 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"Bob Flaminio" wrote:

WJW wrote:
Any predictions on the business circulated Westward series nickels?

I got rolls and rolls of both designs, but have only found precious few
in circulation. Not sure where they are all going. I mean, who hoards
nickels? Maybe it's just because nickels are almost as worthless as
cents, and they're all going straight into folks' coin jars.

I've seen very few Peace Medal designs and absolutely no keel boats here
in Portland OR. You'd think I'd find one or two in change from the local
supermarket (QFC) by this time!
Old December 19th 04, 01:44 AM
Jerry Dennis

"WJW" asks:

PS I am very new to coin collecting, is SQ the Statehood Quarter?

Generally, when used here in RCC, SQ does mean Statehood Quarter.

Jerry
Old December 21st 04, 05:17 AM
Zamboni

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bob Flaminio" wrote:

WJW wrote:
Any predictions on the business circulated Westward series nickels?

I got rolls and rolls of both designs, but have only found precious few
in circulation. Not sure where they are all going. I mean, who hoards
nickels? Maybe it's just because nickels are almost as worthless as
cents, and they're all going straight into folks' coin jars.

I've seen very few Peace Medal designs and absolutely no keel boats here
in Portland OR. You'd think I'd find one or two in change from the local
supermarket (QFC) by this time!

The keelboats are showing up in Seattle. I've seen half a dozen of them in
the past month.
--
Zamboni