Archaeologists Unrelentingly Attack Collecting at Atlanta Conference

Old May 14th 04, 08:42 AM
Dave Welsh

Default Archaeologists Unrelentingly Attack Collecting at Atlanta Conference

All please read the following article about how archaeologists are
campaigning for the abolition of collecting antiquities.

Ancient and medieval coins are considered antiquities for their purposes. In
fact, most collectible things of whatever kind that are over 100 years old
are now considered to be "cultural property." If you collect 19th century
world coins, or even old postage stamps or books, your collection could be
drastically impacted if the Unidroit Convention or similar legislation is
adopted. For more information on this, you are invited to join the
Unidroit-L discussion list:

******

This savage assault on collecting has become overtly political in its

character. It is no longer science, it has instead distorted what they are

calling science to the point that it is hardly recognizable. It is really

becoming a kind of crusade in the name of what is perceived as political

correctness.

No one who is receiving public funding to support their work should ever be

allowed to behave in this manner. This objection actually has nothing to do

with the exact nature of their cause, but is rather a matter of principle.

No one has the right to promote any political cause using public funding,

except as specifically authorized by Congress (such as federal matching

funds for Presidential campaigns). What the anticollecting zealots are doing

in these conferences is really a political activity and a conflict of

interest, and as such it is just as reprehensible in its way as government

employees engaging in any other political activities during working hours.

They are using public funding and resources that belong to the public to

support their own particular political agenda, which is to pass laws that

outlaw collecting of antiquities - very likely including ancient coins.

By openly conducting these political activities at so many academic and

professional conferences, and in internal institutional proceedings and

academic activities, they are also forcing everyone else in the

archaeological and institutional art field (with a few brave exceptions) to

publicly conform to these views or face professional oblivion. That is not

exactly free speech at work.

If these anticollecting zealots want to pay their own way to travel to such

conferences, stay in hotels at their own expense, take vacation time for the

period that they are absent from their normal responsibilities, and publish

anticollecting papers that they write on their own time after they have done

their normal work, then I say that they have every right to do so, provided

that they also identify themselves as private individuals rather than

presenting their opinions as though they were speaking for their

institution.. But I do not think that any individual who engages in such

activities at the taxpayer's expense should be allowed to continue to do so.

Nor do I think that any institution which continues to allow its employees

to engage in such activities should receive any further public funding.

Collectors, why are you just sitting there doing nothing while these zealots

are working so hard to ban collecting, working to destroy your treasured

avocation and probably make your collections valueless in the process, and

all the while they are actually being supported by YOUR OWN TAX DOLLARS?

Dave Welsh

Unidroit-L Listowner

******