Travancore.

Old August 5th 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Travancore.

Tony here is some details on your cover.

(I do note you are becoming more focused on Travancore, this is to be
understood and expected, as collectors become more refined in their path)

I think CMS is combined Missionary Service, and Bishop Corfield was Church
of England.
HTH

The Rev. B.C. Corfield, (1938-1944) a C.M.S. Missionary in North India
succeeded Bishop Moore. He was consecrated as Bishop in St. George
Cathedral, Madras on 18th October 1938. With simplicity and sincerity and
with a particular love for the underprivileged, he began his work. Bishop
Corfield's time was a difficult one. His period roughly covered the years of
the Second World War. Within the country, nationalist feelings were
mounting. There was unrest among the backward Christians within the Diocese
and they were more politically conscious. They began movement for a
'Separate Administration' fearing the days when a more democratic regime
would mean that they were overshadowed in the Church by their more advanced
Syrian brethren. 31

In 1938, a deaf school was started at Pallom and in 1941 it was moved to a
rented house in Tiruvalla. In 1951, a section of the Tholassery Mission
Compound was given for the school and good buildings were constructed. In
1940 the Kerala Christian Council was formed consisting of Marthoma,
Anglican and South India United Church as its members.

The Sisterhood connected with Bethel and fore-runner of the Women's Order of
the C.S.I., was formed. In 1944 a large group of women of the Church was
admitted by Bishop Corfield as Associates of the Ashram Fellowship. There
were about 500 members at the time of its inception.

INDIGENOUS LEADERSHIP

In 1944 Bishop Corfield, quite unexpectedly, resigned as the fifth Bishop of
the Diocese of Travancore and Cochin 32. Archdeacon C. K. Jacob was selected
to the Bishopric, the first non-missionary Bishop, and he was consecrated in
1945. Bishop Jacob was well known for his fervent life of prayer and his
knowledge of the Bible. Besides, he had an intimate knowledge of the Diocese
in all its parts and majority of the Church Workers were his students. His
first Diocesan Council was memorable in that it was conducted for the first
time entirely in Malayalam as well as the first under an Indian Bishop. 33

Every year Bishop arranged a special mission to the diocese with a missioner
from outside. Mr. Jardine, one missioner wrote about the lay leadership as
he had observed it. "At every center I have observed that this church is
rich in enthusiastic laymen. Retired officials, businessmen, teachers - all
seen to give their time and energy. Quite a number of Young men - students,
ex-soldiers, teachers and workers in firms have told me about their plans
and desire to serve Christ" 34

India became independent on August 15, 1947, and one month later, the
formation of the Church of South India took place, its inauguration on 27th
September 1947 was a historic event - an Indian Church in an Indian - ruled
country.

http://www.csimkd.org/MKD_Chapter2.htm

Old August 5th 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 5 Aug, 04:06, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:

I think CMS is combined Missionary Service, and Bishop Corfield was Church
of England.

C.M.S. is Church Mission (or Missionary) Society, and is indeed Church
of England. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Mission_Society

Chris
Old August 5th 09, 08:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Rodney, thank you for doing all that work on the Bishop. He sounds an
agreeable sort of chap ... for a God-botherer.

I do well remember, from my pre-lapsarian youth, being hounded to
contribute my pocket money to the CMS. But India was well and truly
independent by the time I had to choose between giving it to the CMS
and a stamp dealer.

Tony of the Antipodes

Old August 6th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Asia-translation"
I do well remember, from my pre-lapsarian youth,

Thanks for the new word for my lexicon, swallow a thesaurus?

an oldie originally from Blair
http://cjoint.com/data/igdjudUNPk.htm

Old August 6th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"rodney"
an oldie originally from Blair
http://cjoint.com/data/igdjudUNPk.htm

BTW The answer apparently from Einstein was..
"or did the thoroughfare pass underneath the poltroon?"

Old August 6th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

According to either Hemingway or Remarque : to die ..... alone ..... in the
rain!
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

"rodney"

Old August 6th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Hmmm, they paint with muted tones.

Interesting "to die... alone"
Is there any other way? or can you take your friends and stamp collection?,
I need to know this.
I also believe this will be compulsory information to those attempting to
collect the Venezuelan Arms set

"Tony Vella"

Old August 6th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Whilst on the subject of death..........

Can anyone contribute to suggestions of an appropriate quote
for a philatelist's headstone?
I think the results could be interesting...anyone?

Mr. John Smith
Post Restante
Upstairs.

"I told them I was ill..." Spike Milligan.

Old August 6th 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes, a nice philatelic bent there Tony. Bravo.
The English language oftentimes, is an absolute Joy.
I was having a cuppa with an 88 year old lass yesterday,
particularly interesting, as she was the daughter of a major that was
serving
in India, she was born there, and I was attempting to get her to
spin some yarns of those days.
In the discourse she came up with the expression, " I didn't give a Tinker's
Tit about that"
which just cracked me up.
A fine old lady, sharp as a tack.

"Asia-translation"

Travancore. rodney General Discussion 33 May 27th 09 10:10 AM
Seek: Travancore Rod Marketplace 0 August 10th 07 12:46 PM
Travancore question Tony Vella General Discussion 6 July 29th 07 08:32 AM
Travancore Stamps [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 30th 06 05:22 PM
Travancore Stamps [email protected] General Discussion 0 November 30th 06 05:18 PM