Help on grading my Morgan 1896 needed

Old October 10th 05, 10:23 AM
Bob Hairgrove

Default Help on grading my Morgan 1896 needed

http://imagecloset.com/3/1041-Morgan...r_1896_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1033-Morgan...r_1896_rev.jpg

These links are one of the same coins I posted in another thread "Best
way to image coins".

The seller (eBay) advertised this coin as MS-63/64, and I think it is
a very nice coin ... has nice cartwheels, great eye appeal, and a
solid strike. The end of auction price was very reasonable, about
MS-60 money.

However, I am wondering about the marks and rim dings. There aren't
too many, but they are noticeable. I don't think it would go any
higher than 63, but just wanted to hear what the Morgan "gurus" here
think. Right now I am thinking at least 62, but maybe 63 is possible?

One little detail: on the reverse, the "O" in "ONE" seems to show a
die fill at the top or something ... any takes on what that is?

Thanks for looking!

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old October 10th 05, 10:38 AM
jcsuperstar

I would grade it MS62. Too many marks in prime focal areas for choice.
That date is too plentiful in high grade to merit a higher grade.

The top of your O in ONE is nothing more than an abrasion from a rim
of another dollar in the bag in my opinion. That is quite common.

Too bad you don't have a misplaced 8 in the denticles.

Old October 10th 05, 01:40 PM

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
http://imagecloset.com/3/1041-Morgan...r_1896_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1033-Morgan...r_1896_rev.jpg

Bob, I think your grade of MS63 is right. The luster does give it the
look of a 64, but the scratches on the face and left field would
probably pull it down a bit. There aren't a lot of bag marks, so IMO,
it wouldn't go down to 62.

Anita

Old October 10th 05, 09:47 PM
Bob Hairgrove

Yet another Morgan grading challenge:

Here's another coin I picked up on eBay ... 1896-O (but not micro O).
Has some luster, but doesn't have the cartwheels of the 1896P I posted
earlier. I don't think it has been cleaned, as I can't make out any
telltale polishing ... probably dipped, though. There is rub on the
obverse blossoms in Liberty's hair as well as on the breast feathers.
"O" mints are notorious for weak strikes in the feather department, so
I wonder how much is rub and how many feathers there were to begin
with:

http://imagecloset.com/3/1046-Morgan...1896-O_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1045-Morgan...1896-O_rev.jpg

Looks like AU-50 to me -- at least that is what I am hoping for. If I
can only get EF-40, then I probably paid too much for it (45 Euros, or
about $55). It's just awful when the price jumps by a factor of 10
between EF and AU!

Again, thanks for looking.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old October 10th 05, 10:33 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:47:49 +0200, Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

[...]

Actually, after studying the picture some more, I think I can see
polishing marks on the obverse, especially on the face and right in
front of the chin, as well as in the field on the right and in parts
of the reverse.

Oh well ... live and learn.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old October 10th 05, 11:49 PM

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
http://imagecloset.com/3/1046-Morgan...1896-O_obv.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/3/1045-Morgan...1896-O_rev.jpg

Bob, I am a little uncomfortable with the look of the obverse. It has
AU details, but it has a polished look to it. I couldn't tell without
the coin in hand, however. It may just be a low luster coin.

I read that you commented later in the thread that it may be cleaned.
If you have a microscope, you should be able to pick out any evidence.
I hope that it is not cleaned, but -- like you -- suspect that it may
be. Don't take my word for it, however. I'm not so good at judging
cleaned coins, as my coin bone yard will attest.

Anita