What are we collecting. How many participants could be here.

Old October 25th 04, 04:37 AM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:22:51 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

I have noticed (but I can be wrong) that the number of postings in RCSD
decreased in the last time. Isn't it a bit strange, especially when
considering that on news:fr.rec.philatelie (the stamps NG in French) there
are more and more postings, and anyway more than here?

For this reason I wonder how many actively participate or are at least read
the postings in this NG.

Read, browse, participate. Usually answer questions when I can -
especially about what I know some about.

Post questions but don't get many answers, although some who are asked
answer other questions. C'est la vie.

May I invite you to answer this posting, by eventually adding a short
comment, for example about what are you collecting. Your posting will let
know to our visitors how large actually is the experience of this philatelic
group.

Expansive, the rscd'ers are.

Please infer my modest domain of knowledge from my signature.

Modesty! :^P

Collecting interests:

1) WW, pre-1960 (and some overlapping issues into the late 60s).

2) France & colonies - ALL issues of pre-independence, departmental,
territories. Steer clear of jam jar labels and UPU abusers. Fairly
extensive work here.

3) Portugal & colonies - ALL issues of pre-indepdence, departmental,
territories. Same as #2 above. Good amount of work here.

4) Belgian Congo. Cancellations and variations. Includes all
overprints on stamps and so forth from Belgian period.

5) Belgian RR. Specialty. Every possible type of cancel, variation,
etc. Very EXTENSIVE work in this area.

6) US & Canada, ALL periods.

a) US precancels, all periods.
b) US postal cards. Have a great start but will never get the
McKinley.

7) Haven't decided (YET), but may start collections of specific
animals - all time periods. Have plenty now, but may expand. These

a) Kagu (have most - New Caledonia) Funny dancer!
b) Fennec (have most - Africa) Great ears, dude!
c) Lemur (have many - Madagascar, Comoros) Love the ring tail!
(like Mohawk, my cat)
d) Red Fox (have quite a few - WW) One of my "totem" animals.

Goals:

1) Plan on writing a serious database for the Belgian RR and
publishing my results. Will be asking for others to join the project.

2) Finish writing a web based history of a 19th century stamp dealer -
his life - through postal cards.

3) Get my stamps mounted in albums. :^)

That's plenty for now.

Tracy Barber
Old October 25th 04, 12:47 PM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

Mr. Tracy Barber wrote:

Read, browse, participate. Usually answer questions when I can -
especially about what I know some about.

Post questions but don't get many answers, although some who are asked
answer other questions. C'est la vie.

I'm always here. I don't post much -- I'm too busy with other things.

I collect South Africa and I'm trying to start a Machin collection.

I gave up my US collection in 1999 when the USPS went bonkers with new
issues.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
(Remove usenetxx to reply)
Old October 25th 04, 02:30 PM
JerryB

"Victor Manta" wrote in message ...
I have noticed (but I can be wrong) that the number of postings in RCSD
decreased in the last time. Isn't it a bit strange, especially when
considering that on news:fr.rec.philatelie (the stamps NG in French) there
are more and more postings, and anyway more than here?

For this reason I wonder how many actively participate or are at least read
the postings in this NG.

May I invite you to answer this posting, by eventually adding a short
comment, for example about what are you collecting. Your posting will let
know to our visitors how large actually is the experience of this philatelic
group.

Please infer my modest domain of knowledge from my signature.

Victor Manta

Art on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/
Romania by Stamps: http://www.marci-postale.com/
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/communism/
Spanish North Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://www.pwmo.org/

Hi Victor,

I read this NewsGroup daily and answer questions, or put in my 2
cents, when I can. However, I collect only 3 countries, Colombia,
Ecuador and Venezuela. It seems that there are no Latin America or
South America collectors in this NewsGroup. It seems that most
collectors in the RCSD are mainly British area or World Wide
collectors.

In the past I have asked the question whether there are any Latin
America collectors in RCSD, especially South America. The few that
answered collect the area as part of a World Wide collection, or
incidental to their own specialized collecting interests. I would try
to find a South America group but my Spanish is limited and I could
not keep a meaningful dialog going. Even if I was in another Group I
would still participate in RCSD. I have learned a lot about other
areas based on the questions asked and the answers given.

I think the NewsGroup is excellent.

Jerry B
Old October 25th 04, 03:03 PM
Clausmeyer

visiting this NG from time to time, mostly reading.
got a few expert answers to my questions, thx again.

collecting world-wide stamps
- favorites (to name a few): Prussia, Sweden, Brasil
- specialized in Berlin postmarks (5000+ different so far)

Joerg Clausmeyer
Berlin, Germany

Old October 25th 04, 04:22 PM
malcolm hirst

Hi all
I collect all world postally used, legible world postmarks on piece,
and anything and everything I find interesting - and information. I am
like a sponge I soak up information, useful or otherwise, and I find
that the discussions in RCSD lead me off into all sorts of areas ( not
always philatelic - the stamps just act as a trigger ). I read
everything regularly ( about every 2 days) and post if I can
contribute - or sometimes if I think I can inject a little humour -
although be warned my humour is best described as warped. The only
thing I dislike about this forum is when on the odd rare occasion
someones manners leave a little to be desired - there is room for all
opinions and people can disagree but politely.
By the way to the person who collects Denmark postmarks try Encarta,
Wikipedia and www.fallingrain.com - between them they should supply
you with almost every place-name in any country in the world,together
with other collateral information.Obviously they will not provide you
with details of postmarks per se, but in the early "general" stage of
collection they will give you a basic list. Probably Denmark, like
many countries has reduced the number of locations using cancels in
the interests of streamlined efficiency, and some of the smaller
places may never have had a post office but as a starting point these
resources are invaluable.
I too have noticed the reduction of activity,and am at a loss to
understand why.It is not however confined to this website. I along
with several others of the regulars here also visit the stamporama
website, and while the volume of messages there is not as large as
here I have a gut feeling ( without counting ) that the volume of
messages there is also lower than previously.
Does this mean that people have nothing to say, or they have found
another outlet, or are people like me just boring them to death?(
Retorical question - no answer required.
Regards
Malcolm

Old October 25th 04, 04:47 PM
Zdenek Jizba

[...]

When I was in high school (Instituto Nacional Mejia, Quito, Ecuador)
I collected Ecuador and South America. That was some 55 years ago.
My collecting went into decline but continued at a low level. I started
purchasing lots from Bournemouth Stamp Auctions acquiring lots of
British and European material. So now it is mostly world wide (I belong
to the International Society of Worldwide Stamp Collectors)
Next month I will be giving a talk at the local Orange county stamp club
on collecting date cancels.

Old October 25th 04, 06:45 PM
Pierre COURTIADE

Victor Manta wrote :

May I invite you to answer this posting, by eventually adding a short
comment, for example about what are you collecting. Your posting will
let know to our visitors how large actually is the experience of this
philatelic group.

Victor,

Nice initiative !

I collect France (only missing a few stamps that I will never be able to
acquire) Switzerland and Australia.
For this last one, just accumulating for the time beeing : I have to
find time to sort my stamps.

I also collect unusual cancellations, fake frankings, all king of odd
philatelic material.

--
All the best
Pierre Courtiade

Old October 25th 04, 06:58 PM

I'm still around. Been too busy to post though. Still reading this newsgroup
every day.

Rene
http://www.stampmad.com
Old October 25th 04, 09:38 PM
Rodney

I am like a sponge I soak up information, useful or otherwise

Australian Postcodes/cancels including DPO's would be around 10,500

| I too have noticed the reduction of activity,and am at a loss to
| understand why.It is not however confined to this website.

I bet you, a lot of people "smart" when we log on and find
disgusting comments from the trolls. I noticed Tracy's free flowing
banter, and others dried up considerably after the last attack,
and I miss boB's input, but he has bitten off a large chunk of responsibility
with his new direction at BC.

Old October 25th 04, 09:40 PM
Rodney

| Next month I will be giving a talk at the local Orange county stamp club
| on collecting date cancels.

If you have your discipline as hard copy, I would be delighted to read it
(hint, hint)