What does stamp collecting lead to?

Old February 5th 04, 02:05 PM
Dave

Default What does stamp collecting lead to?

To avoid another thread that included a story about how today's
perveyers of porn were previously obsessive stamp collectors. Those of us
here would certainly refute that argument.
So what does stamp collecting lead to?
A common theme among posts seems to be a development of interest in
the subjects of stamps. I have related that I have investigated various
people that have been on stamps that I didn't know about (Kathe Kolwitz for
example). Also collecting stamps of places I have visited. I know Bob
Ingraham seems to make pages for stamps which investigate the subjects
thoroughly. Same can be said for Victor with some of the SNA issues he has
created and the art stamps he has researched. Mette has concentrated on the
art of Slania's engravings. This can be summed up as intellectual
stimulation.
Now the argument certainly can go to... are the members representive
of stamp collections? That goes into another direction of course.
By the story as presented, I don't fit into and never have the
argument as presented by the professor. How many do?
I have taken statistics as part of a course in epidemiology. The
trouble with statistics is they can be manipulated to lead to whatever you
want them to. I have seen studies that were so narrow as to be incapable of
coming to anything but the conclusion sought.
True there are topical collectors who collect stamps depicting
nudes/nudity. Does this lead to addiction to porn or are these stamps
(often of art) just an part of a collection, nothing more?
Stamp collecting is a healthy hobby, more so if shared with others or
within a family. Factors other than stamp collecting may influence other
interests. The stamps themselves are innocent. Many interests in my life
are quite seperate and never influenced by stamp collecting. Quite likely
the same within our group here.
Logical questions would include:
Is this group statistically significant?
Do any members fit the profile?

I leave it to the group for further comment, leaving it here before I
begin writing silly things myself (if not already).
Dave

Old February 6th 04, 09:08 AM
Victor Manta

"Dave" wrote in message
long snip
True there are topical collectors who collect stamps depicting
nudes/nudity. Does this lead to addiction to porn or are these stamps
(often of art) just an part of a collection, nothing more?
Stamp collecting is a healthy hobby, more so if shared with others

or
within a family. Factors other than stamp collecting may influence other
interests. The stamps themselves are innocent. Many interests in my life
are quite seperate and never influenced by stamp collecting. Quite likely
the same within our group here.
Logical questions would include:
Is this group statistically significant?
Do any members fit the profile?
snip
Dave

I suppose that nobody commented so far (at least on my NG server) because
this interesting posting covers quite many subjects. So I will limit myself
just to a small part of them.

I doubt that those who collect nudes on stamps are mostly inclined to some
porn, are addicted, etc. Personally, in what concerns stamps, I take it with
some humor, like on my known, old page (if you take a look at it please be
patient till it fully loads):

http://www.values.ch/nudes.htm

Not all stamps are innocent, therefore generally speaking they aren't. Even
if most of them looks so, some can hide rather horrible things. See an
example (just one among many others) he

http://www.marci-postale.com/Romania...ng/farming.htm

Now in what concerns the statistical significance of this group, the good
question is "significance for what"? My comments:

- Does RCSD represent the stamp collectors worldwide? Yes, in what concerns
their hobby, in the sense of sharing the same one. No, when we speak about
any particular stamp collector. Even if they are members of this NG, boB
isn't Victor and rotciV isn't Bob. I appreciate his work, but I don't share
some of his ideas, and vice-versa. This is life, la la la la la :-)

- IMO, there isn't such a thing as a typical profile of a stamp collector.
Just to mention that as well some very bright and positive but also some
horrible persons of the 20th century were known as stamp collectors.

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old February 6th 04, 12:24 PM
Dave

Victor,
Points well taken. I had not thought of propaganda stamps as many of
those depict an agenda that ranges from racism to every form of hate as well
as those that feature the beasts of Humanity that have been depicted on
stamps (Hitler, et. al.). My comment of a innocent nature to stamps was
very broad and general. Even stamps that are essentially innocent may be
objects of dirision in this overly sensitive politically correct world. I
can only await the day when some judge decides that Christmas stamps must be
discontinued because some individuals are offended. Several U.S. stamps
have been objected to in RCSD due to their subjects.
I do see a broad spectrum of personalities within this group (even the
trolls though wether they even collect stamps is subject to conjecture).
Collecting interests often reflect life's interests.
Dave
"Victor Manta" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
long snip
[...]

Very well done indeed.

-

Old February 6th 04, 02:27 PM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:24:47 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

snip

I do see a broad spectrum of personalities within this group (even the
trolls though wether they even collect stamps is subject to conjecture).
Collecting interests often reflect life's interests.

Often - but not always. That's lumping a stereotype on us again.

I love my cats, but don't have an excessive amount of cat stamps.
I like some women on stamps, but don't have many nudes.
I like Belgian RR stamps, but am not a RR enthusiast.
I have many Third Reich stamps in my collection, but am not a Nazi.

I think you get the picture...

Some people may collect along specific lines. This may interesect or
follow a lot of their ideals. How many people sit down and truly
think of this? I wonder...

So. Because I have a lot of stamps with children or allegorical
figures of children that maybe I'm a pedophile? ... like on the Law &
Order show? I doubt that highly... There were a lot of these stamps
produced in the Victorian age and maybe they were all pedophiles?

Maybe a rephrasing of the statement is needed, because it almost
sounds like the original objection!

Tracy Barber
Old February 6th 04, 02:48 PM
Rodney

| So. Because I have a lot of stamps with children or allegorical
| figures of children that maybe I'm a pedophile?

.......aah! I see the americans have adopted another lazy spelling
of a beautifully constructed word, Paedophile.

I thought you were suggesting you did a lot of cycling....

Old February 6th 04, 06:40 PM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:48:41 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

| So. Because I have a lot of stamps with children or allegorical
| figures of children that maybe I'm a pedophile?

......aah! I see the americans have adopted another lazy spelling
of a beautifully constructed word, Paedophile.

........aah! Thank you for pointing out that someone down under has
kept an archaic, olde version of a nasty wasty word. :^P

I thought you were suggesting you did a lot of cycling....

According to the pundits, we're all cycling through young ones.

Anyway, stamp collecting has not led me down the path to some other
illegal, immoral, or unethical path. Not yet, anyway. YMMV.

Tracy Barber
Old February 6th 04, 07:36 PM
Peter D

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:24:47 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

snip

I do see a broad spectrum of personalities within this group (even

the
trolls though wether they even collect stamps is subject to conjecture).
Collecting interests often reflect life's interests.

Often - but not always. That's lumping a stereotype on us again.

A bit touchy there, Tracy. He said "often". A totally accurate statement and
most definitley no a stereotype. And a far cry from people putting down a
woman based on her looks because she may be theauthor of a disagreeable and
easily refuted opinion. And all shoudl remember "may be". To date no-one has
dmeonstrate that the local lady being mocked is the author of the
disagreeable piece.

As for your leap from his opinion to takig offence at accusations of
pedophila, etc. I'll put it down to a bad coffee and cinammon bun and move
on. :-)

Old February 6th 04, 08:12 PM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:36:46 GMT, "Peter D" [email protected] wrote:

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:24:47 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

snip

I do see a broad spectrum of personalities within this group (even

the
trolls though wether they even collect stamps is subject to conjecture).
Collecting interests often reflect life's interests.

Often - but not always. That's lumping a stereotype on us again.

A bit touchy there, Tracy.

I don't think so, but if you say so, it must be true. Do YOU have the
stats on how many stamp collectors turn into sex offenders? I didn't
think so. Then you don't know either.

Further, not EVERY stamp collector collects the way it reflects their
own life's interests. Maybe fantasies and interests therein...

He said "often".

Often means more so than not. Which, in the conclusion, comes down to
most times. Can you argue with that? Maybe we can take a poll,
before coming to a grand conclusion - which, it seems - you already
have.

A totally accurate statement and most definitley no a stereotype.

Once again, do YOU have the stats to prove this? Would you care to do
a poll to back your claims? Not a straw man poll, but a complete
random poll?

And a far cry from people putting down a woman based on her looks

Hmmm... I don't remember bringing this into the discussion. Do you
have a google on this to refresh my memory? I truly think you've
abandoned your edge here and have gone on a detour - an attempt to
discredit me for something I didn't say.

because she may be theauthor of a disagreeable and
easily refuted opinion.

Thank you for allowing me to refute the obvious. I wonder if the
police look for this as a profile. The sex offender was a stamp
collector in the past, therefore one must conclude that he / she is
guilty without proof.

And all shoudl remember "may be".

Once again, produce the STATS and we'll all agree.

To date no-one has dmeonstrate that the local lady being mocked is the author of the
disagreeable piece.

And - once again, please google to show I mocked her about her works.
I DO KNOW I simply stated I didn't believe her "stance".

Please tell me how this morphs into mocking, calling her names and so
forth.

As for your leap from his opinion

Man, what a knee-jerk you just did. No leap, just an observation for
further discussion on the 2 topics - which, by the way, are / were
intertwinded - not put downs for it.

to takig offence at accusations of pedophila, etc.

would be sex offenders, did it not? I brought into it an episode of
Law & Order about a similar topic.

I'll put it down to a bad coffee and cinammon bun and move on. :-)

Maybe, while you're having coffee and a bun, you could also sit back
and not knee-jerk a response but come into it with a bit more
tolerance yourself.

--- :^P

Maybe soaking some stamps for both of us will do...

Tracy Barber
Old February 6th 04, 09:02 PM
Dave

"Peter D" [email protected] wrote in message
To date no-one has
demonstrated that the local lady being mocked is the author of the
disagreeable piece.

She is indeed the author of both pieces wether you believe it or not.
But I began this thread to remove discussion from her "theory" and her
(appearence included).
But what comes up in this thread is the hair-trigger some people are on
to be offended (no offense Tracy, please).
Dave

Old February 6th 04, 09:08 PM
Dave

On another train of thought... what does stamp collecting really lead to?

1. Empty wallet/bank account after a philatelic spending spree!

2. Dental problems due to gnashing teeth over disturbed gum, hinge marks,
short perfs., etc., etc.

3. Desire to give stamps away to addict others in your own addiction with
stamps.

4. emptyspaceophobia

5. spending more money on mounts than stamps

6. Cumpulsive collecting disorder trying to complete every omnibus issue.

Feel free to add more. This thread needs to lighten up.

Dave