Age old question

Old March 3rd 04, 05:48 PM
nope

Default Age old question

Have an old pcgs holdered coin in MS66 thats at least a 67... break out or
resubmit? Best way to break out? Will PCGS punk out on me if I rersubmit
in the holder and not up my grade? All thoughts appreciated, all flames
welcomed :-D

Old March 3rd 04, 06:20 PM
Coin Saver

From: "nope"

Have an old pcgs holdered coin in MS66 thats at least a 67... break out or

resubmit?

My opinion: resubmit.

8-]

Coin Saver
Old March 3rd 04, 08:23 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:48:09 -0500, "nope" wrote:

all flames
welcomed :-D

Okay, if it's such an age old question why didn't you Google up one of the
other thousand times this question has been answered here?

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old March 3rd 04, 08:40 PM
Jesse

"nope" wrote in :

Have an old pcgs holdered coin in MS66 thats at least a 67... break
out or resubmit? Best way to break out? Will PCGS punk out on me if
I rersubmit in the holder and not up my grade? All thoughts
appreciated, all flames welcomed :-D

Might have got more informative opinions if you mentioned what the coin in
question is but ... You only live once - Break the sucker out and resubmit.

Old March 3rd 04, 08:46 PM
James Higby

I guess it depends upon how confident you are in your conviction that it is
"at least a 67" vs. how you would feel if it came back as a 65 or again as
a 66. Theoretically it shouldn't matter whether you submit in the current
holder or cracked out and resubmitted according to PCGS protocol. There are
others in this newsgroup who might strongly contest that notion. Bottom
line: how badly do you want/need to know? There's only one way to get your
question answered, and that's to resubmit.

Old March 3rd 04, 09:22 PM
Coin Saver

wrote: all flames welcomed :-D

"FLAME ON!!!!" - Johnny Storm
8-D
Coin Saver
Old March 4th 04, 12:31 AM
Bruce Remick

"nope" wrote in message
Have an old pcgs holdered coin in MS66 thats at least a 67... break out or
resubmit? Best way to break out? Will PCGS punk out on me if I rersubmit
in the holder and not up my grade? All thoughts appreciated, all flames
welcomed :-D

If you are totally confident that it is at least a MS67, why not simply
crack it out of the PCGS slab and put it in a 2x2 and mark it "MS67" or even
"MS68" if you feel it deserves it?

Bruce

Old March 4th 04, 05:37 PM
nope

Well I couldn't dig it up, sorry! ( I asked for it huh)

FYI Its a 37-d buffalo nickel.

I will resubmit, I was just wondering if I should crack it out first...
better to ship it in the holder for safety? I dunno - I don't much care for
the slabbibg merry-go-round, just want it to have a better grade. "Buy the
coin and not the holder" works for a coin that's obviously overgraded, but
convincing someone that the coin is 'better' than the holder indicates is
harder.

Oh well. What's the best way to crack this sucker out?

Old March 4th 04, 07:25 PM
WinWinscenario

There are
others in this newsgroup who might strongly contest that notion.

I'm one of the "others."

If you don't crack it out, and get the same grade back, you will be wishing you
had cracked it out and always wondering if that was why it didn't upgrade.

Save yourself the uncertainty and crack it out. Hold it securely with a vise
or strong pliers just above the coin, then saw or cut the top of the slab off.
You can then pry the slab apart--carefully--to liberate the coin.

Regards,
Tom
Old March 5th 04, 03:21 AM
Thomas

Because it looks like his age 'ol question is the difference of
$1510.00 according to the PCGS online price guide. There's more to
gain than lose since the MS65 is stated as $65 from the MS66, $90.
The MS67 being $1600 (I'm sure you checked it out).

Shifting gears a bit...

I've never submitted a coin for grading but I admit I purchased a few
for the sheer investment (and novelty value).

It seems like a sham that you can resubmit coins for grading or a
second opinion, especially when it's "certified" the first time. PCGS
should take each coin they grade from now on and chisle their final
opinion on the back to make it permanent. THEN we'll see how many
people want to submit their cherished coins for grades from complete
strangers who put their grubby hands on them and god knows what else.
As you can see, I don't eat out much.

Thomas