Leave on Jukebox

Old December 6th 08, 05:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
ctsteps5

Default Leave on Jukebox

is it ok to just leave it on? of should I turn it off when not in
use?

marty
Old December 6th 08, 05:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 6, 3:21*pm, ctsteps5 wrote:
is it ok to just leave it on? *of should I turn it off when not in
use?

marty

for a real jukebox (commercial type) if the electrics are up to
standard, it should be made to run 24 hours 7 days
Old December 6th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John P. Dayhuff

Would you leave your car running when not in use ?

--
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.

I've broken my pinball bank........

Old December 6th 08, 04:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

Even though they are made to be left on 24/7, with the cost of
electricity today, would you want to leave 200 watts draining your
electric bill?

Also, remember that the fluorescent lamp ballasts in these jukes (if
originals are still in there) contained PCB's and are prone to
leaking, overheating, and catching fire at any time! So if you plan on
leaving the jukebox turned on and unattended, I would install all
brand new ballasts for safety.

Old December 7th 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

"kreed" wrote in message

On Dec 6, 3:21 pm, ctsteps5 wrote:

is it ok to just leave it on? of should I turn it off when not in
use?

marty

for a real jukebox *(commercial type) if the electrics are up to
standard, it should be made to run 24 hours 7 days

No, I wouldn't. Unless doing a test, or in a situation where the
machine must be on all the time,
I would turn off when not in use.

We have had locations over the years where jukeboxes and games are
left on
24 hours, in some cases for years. I don't remember them giving any
more trouble than ones that were
just on during the day.

Old December 7th 08, 05:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
WEade[_2_]

Turn it off when not in use. It's just a waste of resources if you do leave
it on.

Bill

Old December 8th 08, 03:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos

John P. Dayhuff wrote:
Would you leave your car running when not in use ?

Only if it was in my living room and it only looked cool when it is
running. ;-)

Tony
Old December 8th 08, 03:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos

Ken Layton wrote:
Even though they are made to be left on 24/7, with the cost of
electricity today, would you want to leave 200 watts draining your
electric bill?

Also, remember that the fluorescent lamp ballasts in these jukes (if
originals are still in there) contained PCB's and are prone to
leaking, overheating, and catching fire at any time! So if you plan on
leaving the jukebox turned on and unattended, I would install all
brand new ballasts for safety.

Good answer. If it's more than... maybe 15 years old, new ballasts and
you should be just fine. If there isn't any credits on it, the lights
are about all that is actually turned on. If it's a tube amp the tube
filaments may be on, but that in no way is compared to when the tube is
actually powered up. Tubes wont go bad with just the filament keeping
it warm.

Just thought of an exception, if it's a solid state Rowe/AMI then the
amp is powered up all the time. And I mean ALL the time. Even if the
juke is turned off, as long as the juke is plugged in, the amp is turned
on. You can plug the amp into a different socket so it turns off, but
don't stop it with a record playing or it *could* fail upon being turned
on again. Most of those amps turn on at higher than full volume for a
second or so.

Tony
Old December 8th 08, 07:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

ctsteps5 wrote:
is it ok to just leave it on? of should I turn it off when not in
use?

marty

I always recommend to my customers that they turn the machine off when
not in use. Fluorescent light will age any plastics nearby with the UV
light they give off (not to mention the heat). Also one has to consider
that any electrical or electronic parts age more when turned on then off.

Lastly the safety/appearance factor - you have not mentioned the make or
model of your machine - anything over about fifteen years is running on
borrowed time as far as capacitors and any plastics near lights are
concerned!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old December 9th 08, 12:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 9, 1:39*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
Ken Layton wrote:
[...]

Out of interest, on all the 240v models I have seen, from either UK or
Australian market, the switch on the back
turns EVERYTHING off. This is the same from R-84 upwards through the
CD models. (Dont know about the Berklee wall mounts, they have a
totally different mains wiring system from the others)

For anyone unfamiliar with 240v units, they have got taps on the
transformer to make them run on 120 or 220v
with simple wiring changes in the box. The amp and lighting in these
models is all 120v and this is stepped down (if run as a 240v machine)
by the power transformer.

Every Rowe Juke I have operated that with the 125w amp onwards, they
make an "bang" noise through the speakers when you first turn on the
power. It isnt pleasant, but haven't notice it cause any problems
over the years.

We had (and still do have) many locations in country areas where the
town's mains AC supply comes in via a single wire, and significant
power fluctuations are obviously a fact of life with this electrical
system.
The Rowe's hold up well even in this environment.

120v models have different internal wiring, and if you leave the amp
plugged into the power socket that is "always on" it will stay on as
Tony says.

This will waste power, and I don't know why they did it in just the
120v models and not the others.